Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

21 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This level of Japanese media attention is crazy and it definitely has me nervous.  I have a bad feeling we're going to end up looking really stupid to Japan.  I also worry about the amount of pressure that Rui has on him for being the pioneer of a sport for a huge nation. 

What part of the last 20 years has led you to think that this organization is going to look anything less than really stupid? Why even worry about that? Lets look at the tape:

Q: Is the Front office any different?

A: No. The only difference is EG is not here. his protege has taken over after a complete failure of getting a fresh pair of eyes in the building. Why? Because no one wants to be held accountable for the failures of this organization and possibly be blamed/moved. Did Shep have no say at all in allowing Oubre/Rivers/Porter get moved without any return at all? (a 2nd in 2022 and 2023 is nothing). Hard to believe this was done in a vacuum.

Q: Is the coaching any different?

A: Scott Brooks is still the coach. The genius who played Jeff Green at the 5 half the season, and turned Oubre and Porter into iso ball handlers when their skill sets are 3 and D

Q: 4 straight years, this has been our biggest hole... Do we have a center on the roster?

A: No

Q: Do we have a pg on the roster that can suit up?

Q: Do we have a backup sg?

This list goes on. I dont mind the Rui pick. I will root for him. But to worry about how the Wizards are going to appear to another country is unnecessary. You already know how we will appear. Ask the first 10 people you run into today what their thoughts are of the Wizards. Theres your answer. Anyways, why should one city hold the monopoly on depressing, snake-bit, dysfunctional, and unaccountable organizations? Its time to share the load.

Want to know how we will appear to Japan? Here's a fun story of my time in China. I tutored on the side for some cash and came across a client with the name, Gilbert. Chinese typically choose their own English name. So I asked him, why did he choose that name. Its extremely uncommon in Asia. He replied, " Gilbert Arenas is my favorite basketball player." Shocked, I asked him if he followed the Wizards. " No. They are terrible." In time, this will be the same for Japan. 

• Like 1

That high cross to the left hand finish after the hop step is what makes Rui a different kind of finisher.  That's how stars like Giannis and Kawhi get all of the way to the rim.  The only way to defend that is to be super disciplined about staying home and then have the length to contest directly below the rim.

The advanced and aggressive mid-range and high post game is also a really promising sign.  When you can effectively score against the path of least resistance, your chances of scoring in volume with efficiency are so much better.  That mid-range game is why guys like Beal and Kawhi and LaMarcus Aldridge are playoff beasts whereas layups and threes players tend to drop off.

• Thanks 1

Schofield is going to make the 12 man roster this year.  At first I thought he'd spend the year on  the GoGo, but we've got almost nothing at forward, and very little money to find rotation players.  We're going to need him and he's got a really good chance to make a 10 man rotation as a rookie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Schofield is going to make the 12 man roster this year.  At first I thought he'd spend the year on  the GoGo, but we've got almost nothing at forward, and very little money to find rotation players.  We're going to need him and he's got a really good chance to make a 10 man rotation as a rookie.

These are all the players the wizards have under contract for next season, I’ve included both draft picks.

PG John Wall

SG Bradley Beal

SF Troy Brown Jr, Jonathan Simmons, Admiral Schofield

PF Rui Hachimura

C Ian Mahinmi, Dwight Howard

This team has doesn’t even have a starting five at this point. 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

This team has doesn’t even have a starting five at this point.  

Nope.  And if we decide to try and bring back Tomas and Thomas, then we've basically just got the MLE to try and bring people in.  We might have the BAE too, can't remember if we used it last year.  But that's not a very big exception anyway.

We're going to be bad this year.  Our Summer League team is going to get so many minutes during the regular season, there is no real chance we'll be good.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nope.  And if we decide to try and bring back Tomas and Thomas, then we've basically just got the MLE to try and bring people in.  We might have the BAE too, can't remember if we used it last year.  But that's not a very big exception anyway.

We're going to be bad this year.  Our Summer League team is going to get so many minutes during the regular season, there is no real chance we'll be good.

Hopefully Brooks doesn't wait til mid year to get the rooks some playing time, like he did with Troy Brown last year.

Edited by CRobi21

5 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Hopefully Brooks doesn't wait til mid year to get the rooks some playing time, like he did with Troy Brown last year. 

I'm not sure he'll have a choice.  We don't have any other power forwards on the roster aside from Rui.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

SF Troy Brown Jr, Jonathan Simmons, Admiral Schofield

Looking at our cap allocations, we can save 4.7 million by waiving Jonathan Simmons.  My question is should we?  I vaguely remember him with the Spurs, but other than that, I don't know anything about his game.  Is he worth keeping around given our need for rotation-worthy bodies?  Is he rotation-worthy?

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not being good for a year is probably for the best.  We dont need to be middling around the 10-11 seed, at the back of the lottery.

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Not being good for a year is probably for the best.  We dont need to be middling around the 10-11 seed, at the back of the lottery.

You're right, but it's not good for the coaching staff.  I don't know the level of their job security.  It's also not great if we're serious about selling Brad on the viability of signing an extension with us.

The biggest things we need to focus on next season are developing our young players and protecting Brad's health.  If we do that, the season will be worthwhile even if we win less than 30 games.