Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

13 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

NSFW language, but game recognizes game...check out what Lou Will, who is one of the greatest 6th men in the history of the league, has to say about Jermerrio Jones. 

This jibes with what the ESPN Insider who got the best of the trade post said too.  This guy will probably be a Go Go player but we desperately need somebody that can play some ****ing defense. 

Edited by Rocky21
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wonder if they like Wagner at the 4 instead of the 5?

Probably depends on the match up with him.  Against some teams he'll be able to stay with the opposing four, or reserve four, and in that position he would add some length while still spacing the floor.  Much of defense has always been about matchups, but these days with skill being valued so much higher than size it seems like coaches have more options than before.  The opposing fours could be a physical monster like Blake Griffin or a guy that a few years ago would never be seen as anything but a wing. 

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

Probably depends on the match up with him.  Against some teams he'll be able to stay with the opposing four, or reserve four, and in that position he would add some length while still spacing the floor.  Much of defense has always been about matchups, but these days with skill being valued so much higher than size it seems like coaches have more options than before.  The opposing fours could be a physical monster like Blake Griffin or a guy that a few years ago would never be seen as anything but a wing.  

A lot of switch duty at the 4.  I wonder if he can handle that?

Offensively, I think he could make more sense at the 4 since he's a face up player.  I think he's got a little bit of a PnR game, but pick and pops are his best plays.

He's kind of a poor man's Olynyk.  If he's playing the five, you'll have a spaced floor but you also won't rebound well.

31 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I love you guys. The second best player on Gonzaga = Japanese Freak.  Jemerrio Jones = New Bruce Bowen. Tommy Shepherd = Post Modern Darryl Morey.

It's all happening.

Seriously, I am giddy for the 3 game winning streak in January that has McQueen talking title for 2021.

Come on LBK, you know it's not gonna be that long.  Come first basket of summer leagues, we going all the way!!!!

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I love you guys. The second best player on Gonzaga = Japanese Freak.  Jemerrio Jones = New Bruce Bowen. Tommy Shepherd = Post Modern Darryl Morey.

It's all happening.

Seriously, I am giddy for the 3 game winning streak in January that has McQueen talking title for 2021.

This second best player thing is absurd.  Brandon Clarke is a tenacious defender and a great athlete, but look around the league and tell me how many star forwards are 6’8 with a 6’8 wingspan that can neither shoot or dribble the ball well?  There’s a place in the league for great defenders, but early in the draft teams are looking for players with more clear cut star potential.  

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

ending up with nothin from the Otto trade hurts a little 

It was a heinous trade.  I hated it at the time and still do.  But doubling down on the mistake by extending a couple of bums like Parker and Portis would have made it even worse.  Letting them walk is absolutely the right move.

• Like 1

thats a good number for Bryant

they need to go ahead and get Dwight a  buyout

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It was a heinous trade.  I hated it at the time and still do.  But doubling down on the mistake by extending a couple of bums like Parker and Portis would have made it even worse.  Letting them walk is absolutely the right move.

ultimately you're correct, but that way of doing business needs to cease immediately. Say what you want about Otto & Oubre, they were both young assets at a premium position, and we're not maximizing returns at all. Gotta stop dealing from positions of weakness

Edited by StillUnknown

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Nets went from cap hell and being poorly run to KD, Kyrie, & DeAndre Jordan in short order 

They drafted really well with all of those late picks.  Jarrett Allen and Caris LeVert were absolute steals.  Dinwiddie was a really nice find.  They built a nice little foundation of drafted players and cleared their cap and a perfect storm in free agency formed up for them.  It's impressive.

I'd like to poach some of their odd man out talent off of them.  I want us to sign Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Ed Davis.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They drafted really well with all of those late picks.  Jarrett Allen and Caris LeVert were absolute steals.  Dinwiddie was a really nice find.  They built a nice little foundation of drafted players and cleared their cap and a perfect storm in free agency formed up for them.  It's impressive.

I'd like to poach some of their odd man out talent off of them.  I want us to sign Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Ed Davis.

I don't understand why we didnt interview Trajan Langdon before he went to NO with David Griffin

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

ultimately you're correct, but that way of doing business needs to cease immediately. Say what you want about Otto & Oubre, they were both young assets at a premium position, and we're not maximizing returns at all. Gotta stop dealing from positions of weakness 

Agreed.  Oubre was traded to try and save Ernie's ass by getting Ariza but then Wall went down for good and that was that.  I also think we did it because we didn't want to pay Oubre this summer.  And I think we were right to make that call.  He wasn't playing well or progressing here.  He was still a below replacement level player.

The Otto trade was a pure salary dump.  The team was finished and the ownership group wanted to get out of paying a **** ton of luxury tax.  It sucks and I hate the move, but that's what happened.  It wasn't a strategic move to improve the team.  It was purely about saving money.