Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

27 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Interesting. Which gets me wondering who the last HS to NBA player on this roster was. I think it was Andray Blatche.

Blatche would have been such a good NBA player if he wasn't a complete knucklehead. He is now a naturalized citizen of the Philippines, where he absolutely dominates the scrubs in their national league. 😂

Edited by No Excuses
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Just got a load of nothing from the Lakers.

Considering how the cap is working against the Wizards, I'd say they made out very well.

Remember, they were VERY high on Wagner last year.  Now they got him. 

I don't know a lot about Bonga, but from what I've been reading from Lakers fans, he's got some serious upside.  6'8" PG who's only 19. 

Jones, he's a tenacious rebounder and defender. 

But the key in all of this is the 2022 2nd round pick. 

Shep doing the Lord's work in cleaning up EG's mess and executing a clear plan to acquire young assets in the interim.  So far, so good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

I'd rather not be an accessory to LeBron getting another ring

Take everything you can get off of a desperate team.  The Lakers have been throwing away promising young bigs.  First we got Thomas Bryant off them for nothing, then they gave away Ivica Zubac to the Clips, and now we got Wagner for nothing too.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Considering how the cap is working against the Wizards, I'd say they made out very well.

Remember, they were VERY high on Wagner last year.  Now they got him. 

I don't know a lot about Bonga, but from what I've been reading from Lakers fans, he's got some serious upside.  6'8" PG who's only 19. 

Jones, he's a tenacious rebounder and defender. 

But the key in all of this is the 2022 2nd round pick. 

Shep doing the Lord's work in cleaning up EG's mess and executing a clear plan to acquire young assets in the interim.  So far, so good. 

These are good points and hard to argue with.  

Cleaning up EG's mess has to be a hard, hard thing to do.  Glad to see us getting a pick back for once instead of forking one over.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

always knew she was headed for bigger things

we about to get stuck with Gooden & Massenburg smh

That sounds brutal, id rather watch the game on mute.

Feeling that trade, but @No Excuses is right, Ted is treating Shep like he doesn't want to use labels like girlfriend when they are living together and ****.

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

I want to give Parker a two or three year deal to see: (A) how he develops over a full season with this squad because he played well in his 25 games with this team, and (b) if Wall returns as a valuable player, Parker can serve as a valuable 6th man who takes the pressure off the starters. Sato/Parker would instantly be a bench that keeps this team productive offensively and you can find high quality defenders/rebounders in the draft and lower end of FA to mask Parker's bad defense. 

There is a major difference in quality and role between Lou Williams and Jabari Parker.  First, Lou Williams is a good shot creator because he's efficient and Parker is not.  Williams is a good shooter and decision maker, who gets to the FT line, and is a better scorer and passer while shouldering a bigger load than Parker. 

For example, this year Lou put up 20 & 5 a game on 32.4% usage with a 112 ORtg.  His shooting splits were 43/36/88.  Jabari's numbers with us were 15 and 2.7 a game with an equal number of assists and turnovers on 52/30/68 shooting and his usage was only 24% and his ORtg was only 105.  That is pedestrian efficiency for a gunner forward, whereas Lou's efficiency is legitimately excellent for a ball handling lead guard holding down All Star usage.

Second, it is much easier to hide a lousy defender at point guard.  The Spurs and Warriors did it for years.  A power forward's defensive responsibilities are much, much harder and more impactful to your team defense.  They are second only to center in impact, and having an awful defender like Parker at the spot makes it extremely difficult cope.

You pretty much have to run strong defenders at forward to run a great defense.  We need to get away from our reliance on gunner forwards who can't play D if we're going to play good defense again.  These kinds of players are losers who you almost never see in the rotations of the good teams.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27069062/trade-grades-how-did-lakers-wizards-do-bigger-ad-deal

Washington Wizards: B-

was.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Since the Wizards didn't get much else for the trouble of being included in this deal, they must value the 2018 draft picks they're getting.

Wagner going in the first round was a bit of a surprise. A bone bruise in his left knee suffered during summer league sidelined Wagner for training camp and set back his rookie campaign. He played just 446 minutes last season, the bulk of that (293) coming in March and April after the Lakers' playoff hopes were extinguished. Wagner's long-term success in the league as a stretch 5 will be tied to becoming a legitimate NBA 3-point threat, and the 29% he shot beyond the arc as a rookie was discouraging in that regard.

Bonga, the NBA's youngest player last season after turning 19 in November, is unmolded clay at this point. He didn't see much action with the Lakers even after they were eliminated, playing 31 games for the team's G League affiliate. At that level, Bonga flashed some 3-point range (34%) but was an inefficient scorer and had more turnovers than assists. So he's far away from translating his potential to become a point forward.

Of the three players Washington got, I'm actually most excited about Jones, an undrafted rookie who spent last year with the South Bay Lakers before being called up late in the season. The 6-foot-5 Jones ranked in the top 10 in the G League in defensive rebound percentage while also accumulating steals and blocks at strong rates. He acquitted himself with his energy in a six-game cameo with the Lakers, and though his non-shooting is a major concern (Jones made just 15 3-pointers all season in the G League), I think he could carve out an NBA role similar to a previous Lakers callup, David Nwaba.

It's still unclear whether the Wizards will keep Jones, whose salary had to be guaranteed to $200,000 to facilitate this deal. Either way, it won't cost Washington much in terms of salary. Bonga, Jones and Wagner will make a combined $5 million next season and none of them have guaranteed money in 2020-21. The question is mostly whether the Wizards could have done anything better with the roster spots, and with just five players under guaranteed contract before this trade, the answer is probably no.

Just now, No Excuses said:

Mo Wagner looks like a Bobby Portis Clone at what might be 1/6th of his salary. 

Tommy Shep is doing a good job stocking the team with youth and seeing what may stick.

he's not the shooter that Portis is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Outside of Beal, there is no one else on the roster who can create their own shot.  Bringing Parker back is a no brainer.  2/24 or 3/36 (or 45) should probably get it done.  Let Sato/Portis walk, re-sign Parker/Bryant and nab a FA PG like Corey Joseph.  That would be a fairly successful start to the FA period. 

This triggered me.  Sato is such a better player than Parker, it's not close.  He's better at everything than Parker.  I would be furious if we let him walk, and bringing him back should be a no-brainer.  He's a good player who is far above replacement level and Parker is not.

You're talking about spending 12 million a year on Parker?  We can get guys like him for vet min deals.  We did it the year before last year with Mike Scott, and did it again last year with Jeff Green.  There is no need to spend money on him.  He is one of the most replaceable player types in the NBA.

• Like 2

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

This triggered me.  Sato is such a better player than Parker, it's not close.  He's better at everything than Parker.  I would be furious if we let him walk, and bringing him back should be a no-brainer.  He's a good player who is far above replacement level and Parker is not.

You're talking about spending 12 million a year on Parker?  We can get guys like him for vet min deals.  We did it the year before last year with Mike Scott, and did it again last year with Jeff Green.  There is no need to spend money on him.  He is one of the most replaceable player types in the NBA.

Sato's biggest issue is his head coach doesn't seem to believe in him much, at least as a pg. 

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

People getting excited about the Wizards acquiring a 2nd round pick in 2022 shows the depth to which this franchise has fallen. 

rome wasn't built in a day

or some inspirational **** like that

its all we got at the moment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

People getting excited about the Wizards acquiring a 2nd round pick in 2022 shows the depth to which this franchise has fallen. 

True but it’s a welcome relief after this team routinely sold 2nd round picks for “cash considerations” and traded 1st round picks for veteran rentals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1