Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

If I make an argument, it’s because it’s correct. Set your feelings aside, facts are what they are.

So, why are you wasting your time and energy on the smallness of our minds here on ES? Whay aren't you dropping Volbombs and stealing Woj's thunder?

You have an opinion and think mighty highly of the. But they are just opinions. You know what they say about opinions?

^----Should be read dripping in sarcasm.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

So, why are you wasting your time and energy on the smallness of our minds here on ES?

Judge mandated. Enlightening ESers is my community service. I had an awkward night out with 17 Argentinian midgets... one thing led to another & here I be. You’re welcome. 

Edited by volsmet
  • Haha 2

Rui's usefulness will be largely determined by how comfortable he gets with the nba 3pt shot. If it becomes a consistent staple in his arsenal, it will unlock so much more of his game. 

I'm coming around on the selection. He's an easy kid to root for

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

We had a pretty good defensive system under Wittman, why did that nosedive this badly?

I've thought about this in the past.  First, I think we were pretty good on defense, but not great for a brief period around 2013 and 2014.  Probably somewhere in that 8-10 range in a league-wide ranking.  But we had already started to decline fairly heavily by Randy's final year.

I think our defensive decline comes down to a deterioration of defensive talent in personnel and the installation of a bad system.

Okafor and Ariza and Nene were legitimately good defensive players.  And at the time, Wall was the best defensive player at the PG position in the NBA.  Gortat was a meh defender and a much lesser defensive player than Okafor was.  Otto wasn't as good a defender as Trevor.  And the pupu-platter we've run at the four since Nene left has been downright terrible at defense.

Around 2015 we decided we wanted three point shooting at the 4 at all times pretty much, and the result was we pretty much haven't been able to guard a pick and roll ever since.

It also hurt that Wall's knee and foot troubles limited his lateral speed so much, starting in about 2015.  As he grew as an offensive player, he stopped playing great and consistent defense and started gambling.  A point guard is only ever going to do so much for your defense, but when you've got a legitimately disruptive defender at the point, it can cover up some sins.  There were seasons when Wall was our best rim protector, for example.

Now the deterioration of defensive talent in the front court has gotten so severe that we were running Jeff Green and Keef Morris at the five for significant minutes last season.  A team that is desperate enough to run that kind of line up has zero chance of grabbing a rebound or making a stop.

The second part is Brooks's unsuccessful installation of the switch everything scheme.  I kind of hate the switching defense.  It takes five good men working on a perfect string to do well.  Not even the Warriors run it well any more.  And in our case, it brought out the absolute worst habits in Wall and Keef, who basically used it as an excuse to never fight through a screen again.  And it definitely never suited Gortat at all, who spent the remainder of his time here whining about it and feuding with Wall over it.

My philosophy is that, if you want to play consistently excellent defense in the NBA, then you have got to:

1 - get junk yard dogs on the perimeter

2 - get thirsty rim protectors in the front court with a traditional one man goes for the shot, the other goes for the board partnership

3 - just play straight up man.

If you get the guys with the will and the legs to grind through screens all night, the awareness and instincts to give proper help, and the talent to properly protect the rim, then you will run a very good D.  It's how Toronto beat Golden State while the Warriors switching defense just collapsed.

I look at our team and the only legitimately good defensive player on the roster is Sato.  We're going to be terrible at defense again next year.  On the flip side, I'm watching the LA Clippers build that roster, and thinking that they could end up making a huge jump to being one of the best defenses in the NBA next season.  If they get Kawhi, they could replicate Toronto's formula and potentially go from a 48 win team to a championship next season.

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

No kidding, that’s the reason they’re available, it’s something I pointed out repeatedly. The Wizards had an atrocious draft, there are 500 players who could start for this team today, that doesn’t make a guy a good pick at 9. Ridiculously naive, my friend.

Boom or bust prospects get us back in the top of the draft or out of mediocrity. We drafted guys who have the potential to be average, there is nothing worse than being average. You can’t build a contender drafting safe, solid, rotational, limited, low floor prospects.

The Hawks crushed the process, again. 

The 76ers weren’t concerned with durability & they nearly beat Toronto with their injury prone youngsters. You just grab talent, durability is a laughable measurement. We will be a durable #6 - #15 in the east for another decade. 

Wizards had an atrocious draft?  How do you figure when there would be question marks surrounding ANYONE selected by the Wizards not named Zion, Morant, or Barrett?  For the pick at 9, there was little difference between anyone picked there or later in the lottery.  At least with Rui, you're getting a guy you can plug and play (Schofield is most likely a rotational guy from day 1.) Can't say the same for many other guys selected after him. 

You talk boom/bust like Cam Reddish isn't the EXACT definition of that.  Dude has probably the highest bust potential of ANYONE selected in the lottery. 

Wizards need able bodies, period.  They got exactly that with their two picks last night.  You're not getting that with Reddish, Little, Bol, or anyone else that was projected at some point to go 9 outside of potentially Coby White. 

Look, man...I get it.  You're disappointed at the front office and decades-long incompetence.  But it's not the worst thing in the world to give the team credit for how the draft and FA process played out last night. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Did you all see that there were 28 media outlets from Japan at the draft last night?

The pressure that Rui Hachimura must be under is unbelievable.  It's a little reminiscent of when Yao Ming entered the league.

And we're about to be under a really uncomfortable microscope.  I have a bad feeling we're about to make a nation of 125 million people hate us.

Or what if this a grand master plan by Ted?  Because what better way to tap into a new rich market than to have it's native son be part of a heretofore unseen dynasty?  OMG!!!! Wiz are gonna win the next 9 championships!  Every opponent will foul out by end of the 1st half!

Either that or I started drinking a little early on Friday....

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Or what if this a grand master plan by Ted?  Because what better way to tap into a new rich market than to have it's native son be part of a heretofore unseen dynasty?  OMG!!!! Wiz are gonna win the next 9 championships!  Every opponent will foul out by end of the 1st half!

Either that or I started drinking a little early on Friday....

We're about to see a bunch of new Wizards fans on social media complaining about Scott Brooks's rotations like: このロバは彼の先祖を称賛します

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're about to see a bunch of new Wizards fans on social media complaining about Scott Brooks's rotations like: このロバは彼の先祖を称賛します

Maybe we’ll get some gloriously terrible basketball anime too though..

They’ll probably make Beal a talking Panda.  Try to act surprised.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here's to hoping Rui is one of those death before dishonor types.

"I have failed you, Master Brooks." *prepares for seppuku 

"No, no, no, no!  What are you doing? Put the sword away! How did you even get that in here?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A little context to the "Wizards draft player they hadn't talked to or worked out" headline:

Washington did not personally interview or work out Hachimura during the pre-draft process. Team officials, however, attended his agency pro day and interviewed his coaches at Gonzaga. Before their spring reconnaissance, the Wizards scouted Hachimura during his three years in college, and interim president Tommy Sheppard’s connection goes back even further to a Basketball Without Borders camp.

• Thanks 2

The Celtics have cap space if Kyrie and Horford walk.

Enough to make an unbalanced trade for Beal...

Would you all trade Beal for Jayson Tatum and Romeo Langford?

Yes

we probably won't receive a better offer for Beal. Tatum had a down year, but his potential is "all-nba" good. Although if they wouldn't include Tatum in deals for AD, logic dictates they would not do so for Beal.

Edited by StillUnknown

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

we probably won't receive a better offer for Beal. Tatum had a down year, but his potential is "all-nba" good. Although if they wouldn't include Tatum in deals for AD, logic dictates they would not do so for Beal.

Part of that could be that Davis had made it known to them he didn't want to sign and extension with them.  I think there is a lot of back channel agent communication that determines these mega-trades.  Rich Paul ran that Davis situation.

I'd make that deal I proposed too.  The fact that I'm still a little hesitant probably means the compensation is fair.  Langford + Tatum + Hachimura + Brown + Robinson feels like a strong start to a true rebuild.  And the Celtics can get back to contention around a much more reliable leader in Beal than Kyrie was, plus Beal fits better with Hayward than Tatum does.

The sentimental part of me would hate to see Beal in that uniform though.

Part of that could be that Davis had made it known to them he didn't want to sign and extension with them.  I think there is a lot of back channel agent communication that determines these mega-trades.  Rich Paul ran that Davis situation.

I'd make that deal I proposed too.  The fact that I'm still a little hesitant probably means the compensation is fair.  Langford + Tatum + Hachimura + Brown + Robinson feels like a strong start to a true rebuild.  And the Celtics can get back to contention around a much more reliable leader in Beal than Kyrie was, plus Beal fits better with Hayward than Tatum does.

The sentimental part of me would hate to see Beal in that uniform though.

But on one hand you argue that Beal is essentially an offense only player who really adds nothing to wins and on the other you're saying that Celtics can contend after losing Kyrie, Horford, and Tatum by adding Beal.

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

But on one hand you argue that Beal is essentially an offense only player who really adds nothing to wins and on the other you're saying that Celtics can contend after losing Kyrie, Horford, and Tatum by adding Beal.

They'd have to replace Horford or bring him back.  But if they did, they'd have an elite defense.  At that point you can contend even with a big contract for a sg who basically gives you nothing on defense.  They managed to win a one seed and field the second best D in the league last year with Kyrie and he's a far worse defender than Beal.

Boston could basically consider themselves built by swapping Tatum for Beal and bringing back Horford.  And they'd still have some extra picks left to make deals for high end role players and defensive support.  It's enough to contend in a year when the Warriors are down and the Raptors probably lose Kawhi.

39 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Mainly the compensation.

What would get you over the jump to pull the trigger on a Tatum/Langford based package?

The other thing I was going to add is the C's have built in replacements at SF in Hayward, Brown, and now Grant Williams.  They can afford to lose Tatum more than most teams would be able to.

But they can't afford to lose Horford.  Maybe you first make sure to resign Horford, then you trade for Beal.