Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I wonder if the Wiz explored trading down and picking up assets. Seems like there would have been some really good options whether with New Orleans or someone else. 

Nah, the best option was to take the guy that they didn't work out or interview.  

I don't know what to think about this pick but I'm leaning towards this being a swing and a miss.  There are some things to like but Clarke seemed to be the best player on the team.  There seems to be arguably better SF/wing types available at 9.  And @No Excuses makes really good points about the EG draft philosophy, taking guys with tools but big gaps in other areas.  

I'm far from a NBA draft watcher but the general consensus on this one seems to be a bit of a head scratcher/reach.  There are some things to like but...I just think it's weird when a team in any sport drafts someone that high without having interviewed them or worked them out.  

Dang Chuma Okeke got picked at 16 and Matisse Thybulle went 20.  Those were two of the guys I was hoping we might be able to buy a second round pick for.  Thought they could be potential gems.

Wish we had been able to trade down and get Clarke.  I didn't expect him to go as late as 21.  We could have traded way back and gotten both him and Thybulle.

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I wonder if the Wiz explored trading down and picking up assets. Seems like there would have been some really good options whether with New Orleans or someone else. 

if its as "very close" as he claimed, you trade back and pick up the damn assets 

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

if its as "very close" as he claimed, you trade back and pick up the damn assets 

There is a real disconnect here, between being “so sure” about picking this guy and not even interviewing or working him out once. 

I am on the fence about this pick, there are some things to like. But this post-Ernie era looks like a total clown show so far. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is my first sign that Tommy Shepherd is ideologically similar to Ernie. 

Yeah, I want to see a more tangible break in team building philosophy.  Ernie didn't value defense enough and didn't know how to build a really good one.  I need some kind of reassurance in the form of new players, that we will be placing way more emphasis on building a defense.  Guys like Thomas Bryant may be high effort and high character but the kid is just totally lost on defense.  Is it going to be the same deal with Hachimura?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is a real disconnect here, between being “so sure” about picking this guy and not even interviewing or working him out once. 

I am on the fence about this pick, there are some things to like. But this post-Ernie era looks like a total clown show so far. 

Could just be front office gamesmanship.  Teams don’t want to tip their hands sometimes if they think the player they want is in danger of getting picked before they get a chance.  

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

And with a guy like Little falling, it could have been a lot more beneficial to grab two players this draft

This FO is so painfully obvious in why they selected him - for the Japanese fans and the ability to work with the Japanese embassy for a 'Japan Night!' during Cherry Blossom season. Sure, he's got some skills. Not at #9 when Cam Reddish is available or the option of trading back and taking someone like Bol later. Bol is still on the board right now

This is a good highlight video:

The positives that jump out at me from that video are the strength and athleticism.  He aggressively attacks the rim and he's a load.  I can't remember if one of the cut ups about him mentioned that he was super right hand dominant or if that was someone else, but from this video he looks comfortable and proficient finishing with the left.

He's got a strong array of dribble moves.  A lot of hop steps, a lot of drop steps, a lot of eurosteps and high crosses.  Some hesitation dribbles in his bag of tricks.  He also has a back to basket arsenal.  To me it looks like his dribble drive is the best part of his game, but the big area for improvement is he needs to find his cutters and corner shooters much better instead of always trying to finish through everyone.

His teammates at Gonzaga were really good.  They were a cohesive defensive unit and the guards were good passers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Hachimura is like Kawhi just like Nick Young had some Kobe in his game. 

The entire draft philosophy of Ernie Grunfeld was picking players who seemingly had some good tools, maybe even elite in some areas but really no feel for the game and glaring holes in critical areas.

This is my first sign that Tommy Shepherd is ideologically similar to Ernie. 

Probably true, I'm sure Shep was working off Grunfeld's board and the scouting they all did together. This was a chance, probably his only one, for Sheppard to make a real statement. Was this his version of swinging for the fences, playing it safe, or going with the board? I really don't know enough to guess.

I guess the question is whether his lack of rebounding is due to a lack of "want to" or a lack of skill. Want to and bad technique can be fixed though fixing desire is tough. Some players grow defensively, but many don't. The other question is whether they were picking the guy they thought was the best player or filling a hole the best they could. Getting rid of both Oubre and Porter left them really short there.

Edited by Burgold

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Crap, Grant Williams was another guy that I thought would be a good target to buy a second round pick for.

Perhaps Carsen Edwards then?

Have the Wizards talked about possibly buying a 2nd round pick? 

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Bol Bol is either a real piece of work or his injury is terrible.

The Warriors are going to draft Bol aren’t they. 

This is pretty surprising.  I would have taken him at nine.  Once again, I'm reminded that I am bad at this.

I really want to know what is wrong with him.  The draftniks and scout types were surprisingly forceful in the way they panned his intangibles, but all I ever saw were still pretty vague allusions to him being spoiled and lazy.

I think Dana Altman might have trashed him.  That would explain his fall to me.

2 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Feel for the kid. Know little a out him. He's going to get a lot of the frustration meant for the ownership. 

We're almost always like this.  All he has to do to win us over (for a little while anyway) is show well in summer league.