Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Totally makes sense to keep and extend Beal because........uhhhhh.......can somebody help me out here?

But the culture is better now I'm told. 

If you are Beal, why are you not demanding a trade? Entering the prime of his career, why stick it out here on the off chance we can sign somebody in 2yrs when he could be a major piece of a contender somewhere else?

Dont get me wrong, i hope he stays, i just dont see why he would want to. Unless he just really loves the city like Wall does, it doesnt add up logically 

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

If you are Beal, why are you not demanding a trade? Entering the prime of his career, why stick it out here on the off chance we can sign somebody in 2yrs when he could be a major piece of a contender somewhere else?

Dont get me wrong, i hope he stays, i just dont see why he would want to. Unless he just really loves the city like Wall does, it doesnt add up logically 

I agree up until "I hope he stays". I would rather get top value and him go somewhere to succeed. 

The signing today stinks like an Ernie move. You can't accept reality looking you in the eye. You will suck. You will likely suck while playing your rookies a lot and other guys who has no business being on a roster. Why pay for that? Just wait and embrace the suck. 

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Same. This is going to be the worst team in the league. I don’t think they will win more than 25 games. And the outlook isn’t much better two years from now unless they hit gold in the draft and get a generational talent who is immediately excellent.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I agree up until "I hope he stays". I would rather get top value and him go somewhere to succeed. 

The signing today stinks like an Ernie move. You can't accept reality looking you in the eye. You will suck. You will likely suck while playing your rookies a lot and other guys who has no business being on a roster. Why pay for that? Just wait and embrace the suck. 

I want to sign him because you still need a starting point for other free agents to look to and think they can partner up and win. Top free agents dont want to start from scratch.

If not for the Knicks and charlotte, we'd be laughingstocks right now

Edited by StillUnknown

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This team didn’t have a damn clue what to do with Sato, and he still managed to play really, really well. 

This is kind of baffling to be honest. He’s like the only late draft pick that panned out for this team, is affordable and we still let him walk. 

It's a big missed opportunity all around.  And now I'm afraid we're going to do something dumb to over compensate like giving Jabari Parker a big three year deal.

Sato for 10 mil was a fair deal. He was our best defender, and played multiple roles. I liked him. You could have built the team around Sato and Otto with their unselfish playing styles. But he was never going to resign here after he was benched for Ty Lawson for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a big missed opportunity all around.  And now I'm afraid we're going to do something dumb to over compensate like giving Jabari Parker a big three year deal.

Jabari is worth money. You need a guy like him on your team if you are planning on trying to win some games. If we are trying to re-build, as it appears we are with the multiple 2nds, then brad should be shopped this year. We are going to be rancid. Brad aint sticking around for a rebuild.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don’t get stressing culture change and then letting a good, homegrown, versatile player walk for flyers on high second round picks. 

We’ve dumped Otto, Oubre and Sato for peanuts. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Same. This is going to be the worst team in the league. I don’t think they will win more than 25 games. And the outlook isn’t much better two years from now unless they hit gold in the draft and get a generational talent who is immediately excellent.

They'll fubar it anyways. Lose all those games, somehow win thehe first pick in the lotto, and then pick a Kwame Brown instead of Pau Gasol or even Tyson Chandler. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

If the nets and Knicks taught any lesson it’s that trading away your talent and just being bad is most certainly not the path to success in the nba.  Particularly now that tanking is no longer rewarded.  Wizards have to get out from under Ernies bad contracts, but two bad centers come off the books after this season.  If Wall is halfway healthy by the end of the year, and Rui proves to be a decent prospect, the team’s outlook will be much rosier next off season.  

Fans just want to hurry up and get the blow up over with, but unless someone offers a franchise changing deal, keeping Beal has value.  

I am concerned that absolutely none of the players we’ve signed play defense though.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Jabari is worth money. You need a guy like him on your team if you are planning on trying to win some games. If we are trying to re-build, as it appears we are with the multiple 2nds, then brad should be shopped this year. We are going to be rancid. Brad aint sticking around for a rebuild.

I disagree.  He's an overweight power forward with meh length who can't shoot threes or rebound that well, and can't play defense at all.

I just don't see what the difference between him and Jeff Green or Mike Scott is.  I would much rather let him walk and sign a min contract player at PF and then see what Rui can do with the minutes than bring Parker back.  And you just know it's going to be an overpay with Parker.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'm cackling at Leonsis allowing Ernie to trade three players including a high draft pick in Otto, and all we got was a 2nd round pick in 2023 that is protected.

The Wizards won't be good until 2023 at the earliest.

If there was even a little media coverage of this franchise in DC, there would have been an uproar last year. We had two starting quality small forwards on the roster to choose from to start the season. But then we drafted another small forward ( i guess ), turned Otto into an Iso player, and traded them both off for a Trevor Ariza rental, Bobby ****ing Portis, and the possibility of a reclamation project in Jabari Parker. Its not Ernie's worst move by far. But its on the list.

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

If there was even a little media coverage of this franchise in DC, there would have been an uproar last year. We had two starting quality small forwards on the roster to choose from to start the season. But then we drafted another small forward ( i guess ), turned Otto into an Iso player, and traded them both off for a Trevor Ariza rental, Bobby ****ing Portis, and the possibility of a reclamation project in Jabari Parker. Its not Ernie's worst move by far. But its on the list.

If the Wizards moved or contracted tomorrow, I don't think the media would care enough to give it the in-depth coverage it deserves. And honestly, I would be a lot happier if this organization was gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

If the Wizards moved or contracted tomorrow, I don't think the media would care enough to give it the in-depth coverage it deserves. And honestly, I would be a lot happier if this organization was gone.

I would be ecstatic if this franchise was removed from the NBA for 5 years for EG's unforgivable sins, moved, and reestablished back in Baltimore as the Bullets without Ted. I dont even care if they sucked for a while. Ted doesnt care about this franchise. The local media is at best just a propaganda arm for Monumental. And i hate the team name.

• Like 2

The moves so far don’t indicate that this is a team gearing up for a quick turnaround rebuild. For that to happen, A LOT has to go right:

1. Troy Brown must become a starting caliber player.

2. Rui Hachimura must become starting caliber player.

3. Wall must return from a devastating Achilles injury and return to form.

4. Strike gold on some of the 2nd round/UDFA flyers as rotation players

5. Maybe one of the prospects from the Lakers trade becomes a decent rotation player.

6. Use the TPE from Sato trade and the freeing cap spade from Dwight Howard, Mahimni to add quality veteran depth

To me it looks like they are gearing up for a longer rebuild and hoping to see what sticks with the endless supply of non-lotto draft picks.

• Like 2

Extremely disappointed we got rid of Sato, he was a major bright spot on this team over the past couple of seasons of mediocrity. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year running the team and getting everyone to eat.

**** Isaiah Thomas though - that midget can go pound rocks.

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

To me it looks like they are gearing up for a longer rebuild and hoping to see what sticks with the endless supply of non-lotto draft picks.

I'm absolutely fine with this. This team wasn't ready to compete at its peak with the Heavyweights...

6 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I would be ecstatic if this franchise was removed from the NBA for 5 years for EG's unforgivable sins, moved, and reestablished back in Baltimore as the Bullets without Ted. I dont even care if they sucked for a while. Ted doesnt care about this franchise. The local media is at best just a propaganda arm for Monumental. And i hate the team name.

I just want them gone.

Move them to Seattle or Vegas or Anchorage. I really don't care at this point.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

I am concerned that absolutely none of the players we’ve signed play defense though.  

Im not concerned with our defense sucking. It will allow Rui (and Brown?) ample opportunities to learn how to score on NBA defenses. You can always sign a defensive stopper once you have the core in place. (Beverly, Tony Allen, Al-Farouq Aminu, etc.) But you cant try and make the core around a defense first guy (MKG).

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I just want them gone.

Move them to Seattle or Vegas or Anchorage. I really don't care at this point.

I'm totally with you. At least if they were gone I wouldn't feel bad about hopping on another teams bandwagon :(

• Thanks 1

Conceivably this is the starting lineup in 2020:

PG: Wall

SG: Beal

SF: TBjr

PF: Hachimura

C  Bryant

The upside for this team is that there is potentially a lot of floor spacing and there are multiple players who can beat you off the dribble. 

The downside is a front court that will struggle to defend if it doesn’t improve defensively and the PG might be a liability if his game is neutralized with loss of athleticism.

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

I'm totally with you. At least if they were gone I wouldn't feel bad about hopping on another teams bandwagon :(

Not saying i want them gone, but if they were, i could watch so much more good basketball that i miss while watching us play

• Like 1