Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Embrace the suck. Only chance Ernie gets fired. Sucks about Wall. That’s worse case scenario if he needs surgery and can’t be traded. 

He can still be traded offseason though.

I think he will be a contract dump on a desperate squad willing to take the risk. 

Edited by No Excuses

Been thinking about the whole Fire Bruce Allen stuff and how much the local media is pummeling the organization. 

We are on like season 16 of the Grunfeld era of suck and the media can’t be bothered to even discuss its problems honestly beyond one day. Just absolutely no one cares about this sorry team.

I am beginning to think even Ted doesn’t care. 

In the past, my Grunfeld conspiracy was that Ted kept him around as cover to be able to play puppet master. 

My new Grunfeld conspiracy is that Leonsis just doesn’t give a ****. He has the Capitals who are the money maker, have a rabid fan base, generational superstar and they were always close to winning it all, which they eventually did. 

I think Ted is happy as long this team can muster mediocre 45 win seasons, make the playoffs and get bounced in the second round. In the LeBron Heat to Golden State era, it’s not like this team really had a shot at winning much beyond the 2nd or 3rd round. 

He will tolerate the **** season in between the mediocre season. A form of perpetual mind-numbing mediocrity that does not inspire any attention or scrutiny. There simply isn’t enough of a fan base that has the inertia to really put pressure on ownership.

Edited by No Excuses

57 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There simply isn’t enough of a fan base that has the inertia to really put pressure on ownership. 

I've been thinking about this for the past few years and I think there are less than 200,000 total Wizards fans.  I think we have one of the smallest fanbases of the four major revenue leagues.

Ted Leonsis definitely doesn't care about this team.  He's part of an ownership group assembled to consolidate the tenants of the VC/Capital One Arena and form Monumental.  The Wizards are a junior consideration in this venture.  It sucks for the fans.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Its true. NBA fans are front runners first and foremost, which is why you probably have more Lakers fans in DC than Bullets fans.

I think there are orders of magnitude more Lakers fans in the market than Wizards fans.

The Wizards might not even be #2 in the market.

I think Montgomery County and Fairfax County are the only parts of the market that might be majority Wizards fans and I'm not even sure about them.