Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is a team that scrapped us like a bug on a windshield recently, I'll take this.  #2 seed in the west in their house and we have the lead?  I can't react too much to this until there's any level of consistency to it, but net positive for sure right now.

We won this game on the glass.  Can't believe we outrebounded this team.

Beal and Otto played very well.  Only complaints are Otto's efficiency and Beal's defense.  But I'd rather see Otto force bad shots and stay aggressive and OKC didn't make Beal pay for standing around on defense.  OKC's shooting guards are self checks.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

It’s Beals team this season, and he’s saying the right things when the cameras are on him.  

Yeah he's taken on the mantle of leadership in John's absence.  He's kept the offense afloat too.  It would collapse if we didn't have his shot creativity as the first option.  Even with it, getting a decent half court shot up can still feel like a major chore.  When OKC put Paul George on Beal in the second half, there were times when it took 5+ seconds of shotclock just to hand off the ball to Beal on the perimeter so he could create something from mid range.  Not that we're any good right now, but we'd be completely ****ed if Beal goes down.  This roster is so crappy.  It has so little ball handling ability and shot creativity on it.

Beal had another bad collision last night.  With Westbrook, and both of them laid on the ground for the duration of the next half court possession.  Between these kinds of collisions, the huge offensive load, the 40 minute nights, and the baby deer ankles that get stressed by his helter-skelter step back and hesitation game, he's going to break down this season.

So yeah, we can't rebound, we're unbelievably bad on defense, we've got five good players worth suiting up, and our offense is untenably dependent on one guy staying healthy and playing very well.  This season sucks and there isn't a lot of hope for next year because the draft isn't going to save us and our front office leadership is god awful.

Anyway, anyone else feel like Ariza has come in and immediately taken charge in the locker room?  Just looking at on court body-language, everyone is really deferential to him.  He shoots and acts without hesitation and you can literally feel the relief in the other guys that someone is out there setting the tone and leading them.  Making good decisions.  Talking.  Giving effort on D and on the boards.  The dynamic reminds me of when Paul Pierce was here in 2015.  He's playing a role that Gortat, Nene, and Dwight never could.  We should never have let him go.  We should have traded Gortat instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyway, anyone else feel like Ariza has come in and immediately taken charge in the locker room?  Just looking at on court body-language, everyone is really deferential to him.  He shoots and acts without hesitation and you can literally feel the relief in the other guys that someone is out there setting the tone and leading them.  Making good decisions.  Talking.  Giving effort on D and on the boards.  The dynamic reminds me of when Paul Pierce was here in 2015.  He's playing a role that Gortat, Nene, and Dwight never could.  We should never have let him go.  We should have traded Gortat instead.

Didn't we have an offer to him when his contract expired that he turned down to go to The Rockets? 

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

No one should be happy about these wins. This team needs to crater for change to have any chance of happening 

The same thing I've been saying about the Redskins. The Redskins and Wizards thrive off mediocrity. Nobody is going to get fired if they keep performing up to the status quo. Only a disastrous season like the Orioles had would provoke any sort of change. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, Rocky21 said:

Didn't we have an offer to him when his contract expired that he turned down to go to The Rockets?  

I don't remember if we gave him an offer, but I do remember we signed and traded him.  It was an amicable parting and he seemed to like it here.  I think he left because Otto was breathing down his neck.  But the league was trending to three wing line ups and we were slow to pick up on that.

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Wizards are going to finish  9th in the East. You know I'm right.

More like 8th just to really piss off everyone.  Ernie gets secrete extension, Wall realizes team prefers Beal as a leader, no Zion, etc...

Edited by Renegade7

37 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Wizards are going to finish  9th in the East. You know I'm right.

Wouldn't be the first time.

That was a fun year when we traded our first for Markieff Morris to try and save our season and that ended up being a lottery pick.

How come that didn't get Ernie fired again?