Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Raptors got some bs calls late to win it.  Wizards can’t do nothing about that, but still a fun game to watch.

Beal is flourishing as the #1 option.  That’s the guy people wanted to trade? Like I said before, he’s the last player you trade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Raptors got some bs calls late to win it.  Wizards can’t do nothing about that, but still a fun game to watch.

Beal is flourishing as the #1 option.  That’s the guy people wanted to trade? Like I said before, he’s the last player you trade.  

Depends what the plan is and if he wants to be here long term. If he doesn’t want to be here after this extension, as indicated by some reporting earlier this season, you have to either trade him or remove the reason (s) why he doesn’t want to be here. (See EG and/or Wall)

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

so he still want out or nah?

He’s having more fun. Can’t figure out why. 

this is shaping up so similar to last year, its like Brooks has learned nothing. shocking i know

Beal has been phenomenal, but unless he has LeBron level conditioning, he can't maintain his current pace. Too many minutes and he will inevitably fade in the 2nd half like last season.

he's a joy to watch at the moment though

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

he's a joy to watch at the moment though

He is completely locked in right now.  His January splits are awesome: 29 PPG, 117 ORtg on 31% usage, shooting percentages of 49/42/90 with a TS% of .608.  Almost halfway through the month.  If he can keep this up he has a chance to win EC player of the month, though Kawhi and Embiid are having big months too so far.

His work load was insane today.  He's been taking bad falls and collisions most nights for the past three weeks or so too.  You're right, he's going to break down.  But I hope he at least makes it to the AS game, playing at this level.  I want him to get in as a starter and not a reserve.  He absolutely deserves it.  Dwyane Wade absolutely does not.

After that, if we're not back to .500, then shut him down and go full tank.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
fixed TS%

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Boosting that trade value

I don't want Grunfeld making any more trades.  Not Beal.  Not Wall.  Not Otto.

I think maybe you can retool around Wall if you get a major haul for Beal and get lucky in the draft.  But I think it's very unlikely.

More likely than not, if you deal either Beal or Wall, then you need to start the tear down and conduct a full rebuild.  The team will cap out at a .500 unit and fail to pull in the requisite star and supporting talent to make the leap to the upper tier of the conference.

Our guys are on long term deals, we don't have to make any decisions yet.  No more moves before the offseason.  Let a new GM make all of the decisions about our roster moving forward.

18 hours ago, Destino said:

The trade Beal stuff was under the notion that you couldnt trade Wall.  I think most people, if given the choice, would trade Wall instead.

But the fact remains, this guy we're seeing dominate as the #1 isnt the guy we necessarily see when Wall is on the floor.  And Wall is not going anywhere.  

Facts: You cant win in this league without a borderline-star big man. (except for the one year Lebron played the point-5 with Cleveland, and even that took a miracle). We are a team built on the 1/2/3 positions, and a gaping hole at the 4/5 positions. It hasnt worked. We cant rebound, cant box out, cant set picks, and are using Jeff Green as a paint defender. Either Wall or Beal need to be moved. I like them both, but one has to go.

Every single win puts us further out from a lottery pick and a chance at immediate redemption. We are now 5 games out of the bottom 5, and 7(!) out of the bottom 4. Do you think anyone in Philadelphia cares that they traded their pride for Simmons and Embiid? Do you think Cleveland or New York have any shame in shutting down their respective teams for a chance at Zion/Barrett? What are we doing?

A chance at a top 2 pick in the draft would land us Zion or Barrett. No big moves should be made until we know our draft status. Anyone that could net us young developmental players or picks ( like Morris and Ariza) should be moved prior to the draft. It would give Brown and Dekker more playing time and experience, which will be crucial next year. If we have the top 2 position locked up, then you make a move. Or, leverage your way with one of those players for the top 2. If we keep winning these meaningless games, we are going to end up with another "glue guy" like Keldon Johnson or something.

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Facts: You cant win in this league without a borderline-star big man. (except for the one year Lebron played the point-5 with Cleveland, and even that took a miracle). We are a team built on the 1/2/3 positions, and a gaping hole at the 4/5 positions. It hasnt worked. We cant rebound, cant box out, cant set picks, and are using Jeff Green as a paint defender. Either Wall or Beal need to be moved. I like them both, but one has to go.

Every single win puts us further out from a lottery pick and a chance at immediate redemption. We are now 5 games out of the bottom 5, and 7(!) out of the bottom 4. Do you think anyone in Philadelphia cares that they traded their pride for Simmons and Embiid? Do you think Cleveland or New York have any shame in shutting down their respective teams for a chance at Zion/Barrett? What are we doing?

A chance at a top 2 pick in the draft would land us Zion or Barrett. No big moves should be made until we know our draft status. Anyone that could net us young developmental players or picks ( like Morris and Ariza) should be moved prior to the draft. It would give Brown and Dekker more playing time and experience, which will be crucial next year. If we have the top 2 position locked up, then you make a move. Or, leverage your way with one of those players for the top 2. If we keep winning these meaningless games, we are going to end up with another "glue guy" like Keldon Johnson or something.

just as crucial, every single win or "scrappy, competitive moral victory" game is a step closer to Grunfeld staying

its not enough to simply lose, Ted will just write that **** off. If you want change where it matters, its gotta get embarrassing.

I’ve been talking with some buddies of mine and we’ve come to the conclusion that these are the best 3 scenarios available: 

1. Land #1 overall, draft Zion. Trade Beal/Wall for something, and reset

2. Land #2 overall, trade Beal plus #2 for Anthony Davis

3. Land #1 overall, trade Beal plus #1 for Anthony Davis and a 1st rounder ( use to fill the 2 or 5 ) positions.

Wall, Porter, AD, and fill is a championship contender. Landing the 1st or 2nd overall plus Beal is a better package than anyone else can offer New Orleans. 

That's a big roll of the dice on AD because there is no guarantee he'd stay in DC past 19-20.  I'm all for doing whatever it takes to maximize that championship window...even if it's for one year. 

I still think this team rebuilds itself around Beal.  I think a lot of ill-will can be mended if the FO shows they are committed to him as the bonafide number 1.  Now, obviously the elephant in the room is John Wall, but EG would need to do everything in his power to try to trade him. 

If it was up to me, I'd try to move Porter, Ariza, and Green before this deadline and then work like hell to move Wall over the summer. 

Beal is far and away the 2nd best 2-guard in the league right now and his value has to be through the roof.  Under team control for the next 3 seasons is a major plus. 

• Like 1

Wall, x, Porter, AD, Bol Bol ( depends on how far down the injury puts him ) would be a real contender. I would like to take a shot with Wall in his prime. If it fails and AD leaves, you blow it all up. Otto will be on an expiring at that moment. It’s work the risk. 

Beal is Really good right now. Barring an injury, his stock couldn’t be higher.