Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Add Ariza to that list.  I want him back next season too.

Guard: Wall, Beal, Sato

Forward: Otto, Ariza, Dekker, Maybe Troy Brown (hopefully)

Center: Bryant

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Bryant would be gone at the end of the season. Isn't he a free agent? I assumed some other team would just outbid us since we have no money. Also, why wouldn't Troy Brown be on the team next year? What was his rookie contract? I hope he isn't just another first round bust.

4 hours ago, Destino said:

I kind of want to see if they can make the playoffs without Wall.  I think the assumption has largely been that they can't, that he carries the team.  Also a bunch of them are playing for contracts.  While I realize the Wizards would benefit from a great draft pick, I find it hard to root against Sato, Bryant, and even Dekker. 

The lottery pick is more important imo.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Bryant would be gone at the end of the season. Isn't he a free agent? I assumed some other team would just outbid us since we have no money. Also, why wouldn't Troy Brown be on the team next year? What was his rookie contract? I hope he isn't just another first round bust.

Bryant will be back unless something catastrophic happens, like a knee injury.  Money won't be the reason he leaves.  The free agency rules for players signing second contracts are complex.  I think we might have the option for right of first refusal with Thomas, but even if not, the absolute biggest offer sheet he's allowed to sign this summer is a three year mid level exception.

I doubt Thomas will command the MLE this summer.  We can probably get him back on a team friendly deal for about three years.  After that, all bets are off.

Ariza and Sato are the two I'm worried about extending.  Ariza is coming off this big one year payday he got Phoenix to give him.  It blew his market out of the water and his cap hold is huge this summer.  He's going to be tricky to come to terms with because we can't afford to keep paying him 15-18 million a year.  He's going to have to take a much more team friendly deal to stay with us, which probably means he's going to have to truly want to be here.

I really hope he does, because he's such a great presence in our locker room.  He's our best leader.  Wall and Beal love him and actually listen to him and respect him, which is big.

Sato is also going to be tricky, though not as much as Trevor because he'll be a restricted free agent this summer.  That means we'll get the opportunity to match any offer sheet that Tomas could sign with another team.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that though, because that's what screwed us over with Otto Porter's extension.  The best scenario is to negotiate a reasonable extension with Tomas right now and get him signed before the season ends and he has a chance to test the market.  That's something we weren't able to do midseason with Beal or Porter because they were first round picks.  The absolute max salary that Tomas would be allowed to sign for under these circumstances is a four year deal with a starting salary of ~10 million and 4.5% annual raises.  I think he's a keeper, so I would try and sign him to a four year deal and see if the extra security means he'll take a lower per annum number.

If I had to guess, Sato and Bryant will be back and Ariza walks this summer.

Re: Troy Brown, he may or may not be a keeper.  We don't know yet because he hasn't played.  We have him under contract for another three years if we want.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Very annoying that we've only played 2 games in 10 days.  Have an awful stretch of 5 games in 7 days coming up starting tomorrow.

I was just thinking the same thing.  I know they flew to London, all the time off just forces them to play more in a shorter period afterwards.

45 minutes ago, Destino said:

I was just thinking the same thing.  I know they flew to London, all the time off just forces them to play more in a shorter period afterwards. 

Our schedule was not well-handled.  We've got a really rough road from tomorrow until the AS break now.

Hard to get mad about anything unfair that happens to us though.  Who really cares any more?  This season has been a disaster and the only way it could go any worse is for Beal to wreck his knee too.

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

*sigh, playing better, but close only counts in horseshoes

As another wizard fan is fond of saying, all road wins are beautiful. 

Otto continues to be disappointing though.  He’s coming off the bench and still doing the same sleep walking bull****.  

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

As another wizard fan is fond of saying, all road wins are beautiful. 

More then fair.  I'm still goin to fan appreciation, they look like they care.

Otto continues to be disappointing though.  He’s coming off the bench and still doing the same sleep walking bull****.  

It saddens more seeing you and Steve not feel like defending anyone, I think I exhausted myself with going after him about it.

Edited by Renegade7

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It saddens more seeing you and Steve not feel like defending anyone, I think I exhausted myself with going after him about it. 

Well, technically Otto is second in the league in bench scoring to Lou Williams since he started coming off the bench.

He shouldn't be coming off the bench though.  Otto getting benched for Jeff ****ing Green because he got hurt has been one of the low key ****tiest things about this season, along with Troy Brown getting buried and Dwight getting exiled because of a tranny scandal.  I would be outraged by these things if I gave a **** about this season any more.  Scott Brooks is just torpedoing our future in order to save his job.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, technically Otto is second in the league in bench scoring to Lou Williams since he started coming off the bench.

I remember you making a similar point with Morris when I was upset he wasn't starting.

He shouldn't be coming off the bench though.  Otto getting benched for Jeff ****ing Green because he got hurt has been one of the low key ****tiest things about this season, along with Troy Brown getting buried and Dwight getting exiled because of a tranny scandal.  I would be outraged by these things if I gave a **** about this season any more.  Scott Brooks is just torpedoing our future in order to save his job.

One of the most wasted wizards teams I've ever seen, I thought it might on of the best.  Will we ever see a high quality coach in DC?

Edited by Renegade7

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A good part of me feels like Otto is perfectly fine with coming off the bench, which is a problem. He has no dog in him, paying max dollars to someone content to fade to the background was never gonna work.

On a different note, i've watched only 1 or 2 of the last 7 or so games and i dont really miss them. That saddens me actually.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're the 9th seed right now.  Two games out of 8th, 2.5 out of 7th.

We're going to win 40 games and get the 8th seed and Ernie will get an extension and we'll take the next Kent Bazemore in the draft.

You must have  had a hard schedule/bad luck too.  538  has you with a 63% chance of making the playoffs.  Higher than the Hornets, Heat, and Pistons.  They have you as the 7th best team in the East.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/

Obviously, they can't/don't take into account future injuries (and realistically, they aren't properly taking into account Oldiapo's injury property yet), but they tend to be pretty good with their projections by this point in the season.  Unless somebody else goes down with a significant injury a 6/7/8 seed looks pretty reasonable.

On another note:

"IS JOHN WALL TRADEABLE?

Washington’s eight-year veteran will enter 2019-20 coming off season-ending heel surgery while making $37.8 million. Wall’s deal will balloon to $46 million in 2022-23, his age-32 season. For a player who has never reached the conference finals, such an extreme cap figure projects to be one of the league’s great albatrosses. Is there anything Washington can do?"

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/25/nba-trade-deadline-supermax-john-wall-mike-conley-kevin-love

• Like 1