Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

57 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

but analytics man.........think of the analytics

Otto's value is in the VORPDORPTORPZORP stat.  Tops in the league by .31

Seeing the most efficient usage when 3/4 of the court is shaded by the Jumbotron, combined with when Porter has oatmeal with almond butter for breakfast on saturdays. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Typical dog**** NBA officiating aside, that was another nice showing from Bryant and Dekker.  Those two are keepers.  You need Dekker's effort and off ball awareness.  He is a quality bench garbage man.

Good to see Otto back too.  We'll get better when he can replace Green in the starting line up.

We need more Troy Brown.  His minutes are too uneven for him to find rhythms.  His decision making is 50-50, but it won't get better without playing.  Why are we still fighting for the 8th seed?  Play the kid.  Tank.  Call up Devin Robinson.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Why are we still fighting for the 8th seed?  Play the kid.  Tank.  Call up Devin Robinson.

facebook.jpg?1522691762

Bryant is going to play himself into a contract we cant afford for grunfeldian reasons. Missing out on him while paying 21mil combined to Mahinmi and whatever is left of Dwight's back will hurt 

Edited by StillUnknown

From Real GM

In the wake of the latest trade, it is time to revise the list of Ernie's accomplishments since choosing Otto Porter #3 in the 2013 draft.
Lets start by pointing to the positive side of the ledger: in 2018 Ernie picked a player at #15 in the draft who looks like he might be promising. "Looks like" & "might be" are the best we can say so far, given how little the kid has played.
What else has he done? Well, lets start by listing the resources he used:
He's used eleven (11) R2 picks -- 2 in 2013 & every one after that all the way through 2022 -- he's used them all.
He's used 4 R1 picks, one of which was a lottery pick. That's all our R1 picks from 2014-2017.
What have we added to the team by way of those fifteen picks? Using all those picks we have acquired:
The expiring salaries of Markieff Morris & Trevor Ariza. & Sam Dekker. That's it.
Trevor Ariza is a short term rental, & Kieff is simply a bad player. Dekker is a maybe as a player, & he's also a maybe to keep past this year.
If we decide not to re-sign Sam Dekker, then we will have gotten nothing at all -- a complete zero -- for 15 draft picks.
Note: I haven't bothered to list our ownership of Aaron White's NBA rights as something we've gotten, as he'll never play in the NBA. & I speculate the same about our ownership of the NBA rights to Issuf Sanon.

It's even worse than that Benning when you widen the perspective to his entire draft record as the GM of the Wizards.  The ONLY players he's drafted that actually made it to second contracts here are Wall, Beal, Porter, and good old Andray Blatche.  Hopefully Sato joins them this summer, but that is astonishingly bad.  It's hard to figure out how many picks we've wasted because so many of them were dealt in fruitless trades that gave us no long term value (Miller/Foye, Gortat, Keef Morris, Bogdanovich, an innumerable number of second rounders), but I believe Ernie has had 33 draft picks to use in his time as Wizards GM.  To get only four keepers from them is inconceivably horrible.  And one of them was a complete turd whose extension was a mistake that we had to amnesty!!! 

And, of course, the other three were top three picks who got max extensions.  A complete layman could get an Eastern conference midseed with those assets.  Not only that, John, Brad, and Otto have now completed 19 seasons between the three of them.  We only have six All Star appearances to show for that, five of them belonging to John.  We got no extra value from those picks.

Why the **** does Ernie still have a job?  Jesus Christ.  He has been indefensibly awful.

• Thanks 1

There should be literally no one on the face of the planet who would think Grunfeld is top 100, much less top 30, personnel guy in the NBA.  Hell, I think you could just draft chalk mock draft averages and draft better than Grunfeld (is it possible to do worse than Grunfeld?  I guess on some theoretical level maybe?)

Beal and Wall aren't likable right now. Partly because they are losing so much. Then the drama on the roster and the Org as a whole.

Not surprised by this at all.

Look, if Grant Hill and Yao Ming were on the AS Ballot, they'd be voted as starters right now. It's how it was when they were always hurt. But they were famous.

18 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Beal and Wall aren't likable right now. Partly because they are losing so much. Then the drama on the roster and the Org as a whole.

Not surprised by this at all.

Look, if Grant Hill and Yao Ming were on the AS Ballot, they'd be voted as starters right now. It's how it was when they were always hurt. But they were famous.

Half these guys arent likable people.  lol

Those are just pathetic vote totals, regardless the reason.  Zach Lavine isnt famous and he doubled both of them up.

But it's like this every year for Wizards all star candidates.  I think Gilbert got up to 2nd in the Eastern guards once.  That's about the best showing I can remember, not counting Jordan.

Edited by justice98

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Half these guys arent likable people.  lol

Those are just pathetic vote totals, regardless the reason.  Zach Lavine isnt famous and he doubled both of them up.

But it's like this every year for Wizards all star candidates.  I think Gilbert got up to 2nd in the Eastern guards once.  That's about the best showing I can remember, not counting Jordan.

It is kind of amazing how in a community that does have some deep roots in hoops, the pro team here that is owned by the same guy as the hockey team is marketed so poorly in comparison. Yeah, the Caps win a lot more. Yeah, they both do the stupid fashion show tweets when players arrive to the arena. The franchise has no identity. 

Maybe the other teams do a better job of pushing their players than the Wizards. Maybe it's as simple as the name "Wizards" is beyond stupid. 

I don't know. But as a life-long Washingtonian, every single other local pro-team has done a better job at various points. 

We can blame the fans I guess for not voting for them. I wouldn't. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Maybe it's as simple as the name "Wizards" is beyond stupid. 

As a professional nerd who goes to a lot of science fiction and comic book conventions to hawk his books and art...  I kind of like Wizards.

What we need more of is a cosplay vibe in the NBA. 🤓

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

As a professional nerd who goes to a lot of science fiction and comic book conventions to hawk his books and art...  I kind of like Wizards.

What we need more of is a cosplay vibe in the NBA. 🤓

Getting old here. But when I see the pictures of these guys showing up to the arena, I do wonder if they are cosplaying.