Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

We can blame the fans I guess for not voting for them. I wouldn't.  

There is only so much the 12 of us can do.

Last year I voted for Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre, and Jason Smith almost every day for weeks.  Did the same the year before.  It's a drop in the bucket.

Zach Lavine has twice as many votes as our guys on a team that's even more garbage than ours because there are probably 20 times more Chicago Bulls fans than ours (not an exaggeration) even though they have mostly been terrible for 20 years and Garpax is almost as reviled as Ernie.  ****, Derrick Rose is still getting an absolutely massive undeserved AS vote because of his history of heroism with the Bulls.

This is a crappy pro basketball market largely because our franchise is awful.  The NBA is a niche league full of front runner fans.  Our fanbase is tiny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I said it once and I'll say it again, the Redskins could end up being the Wizards before you know it.  This is not a small-market at all, but they are running out of fans and we already don't have many.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Last year I voted for Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre, and Jason Smith almost every day for weeks.  Did the same the year before.  It's a drop in the bucket.

I swear to God, if you leave, I'll know there's no hope anymore at all and will need to accept that rest of my life.

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is a crappy pro basketball market largely because our franchise is awful.  The NBA is a niche league full of front runner fans.  Our fanbase is tiny.

Every time Redskins Twitter account posts ANYTHING, every response has a #FireBruceAllen in it. 100's of responses everyday. They have to know how Skins fans about the front office.

Wizards Twitter barely gets any responses due to the small fan base, as has been mentioned. I wonder if Ernie/Ted know how much they're despised. 

32 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I wonder if Ernie/Ted know how much they're despised. 

100% guaranteed that he does

Ted's just a smug asshole that thinks he'll be proven right over time

the caps winning the title probably didn't help the Wizards cause in that regard

Part of me thing that Ted fears change. When the Caps finally changed GMs (and GMGM is far superior than EG) Ted promised fresh eyes from outside the organization only to promote from within. In some ways he certainly lucked out. One fortunate bounce in game 3 of the first round changed the Caps legacy. Given how he was with the Caps, maybe he really is afraid to make changes. Maybe he fears conflict to the point that it paralyzes him when it comes to tough decisions with the teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is a crappy pro basketball market largely because our franchise is awful.  The NBA is a niche league full of front runner fans.  Our fanbase is tiny.

True and true. 

Shame, there is potential for it being a good market. Look at what the Nats have been able to do... Granted smart building of a mlb team isn't as hard. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Part of me thing that Ted fears change. When the Caps finally changed GMs (and GMGM is far superior than EG) Ted promised fresh eyes from outside the organization only to promote from within. In some ways he certainly lucked out. One fortunate bounce in game 3 of the first round changed the Caps legacy. Given how he was with the Caps, maybe he really is afraid to make changes. Maybe he fears conflict to the point that it paralyzes him when it comes to tough decisions with the teams. 

Admittedly I don't know **** about hockey, but it strikes me as strange that Ted would not bring back the coach who won the cup, but will attach himself to the carcass of Grunfeld for his entire tenure here.

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I swear to God, if you leave, I'll know there's no hope anymore at all and will need to accept that rest of my life.

I don't know what I'm going to do.  I'm in as long as Wall is here, for sure.  I want Beal to spend his career here too, but I think I'll stay a fan of the team even if we deal him as long as Wall is here.

I've thought I might migrate with Wall if he gets traded, but there is just no way I can be a fan of certain teams.  I have a hard time caring about any of the other franchises.  I've always wanted to be a Spurs or Mavs fan, but I don't really have enough passion for them to make the switch.

What will probably end up happening is I'll stop following the NBA closely and only casually watch the Wizards a handful of times a year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What will probably end up happening is I'll stop following the NBA closely and only casually watch the Wizards a handful of times a year.

Fandom Hibernation as I call it, that's exactly what I would do and would have no qualms about doing that to the Redskins, either, if they pushed me hard enough.

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Kieff out 6 weeks with a neck thing. 

He'd been playing reasonably well from the bench, but it's for the best.  Our defense was unbelievably bad with him at the five and his offensive production wasn't enough to offset that.  We need to let him walk this summer and I'm hoping one good thing about being up against the cap is that we won't have the money to bring him back even if Ernie wanted to.  Addition by subtraction situation.  I won't remember him or the trade where we gave up a lottery pick to get him fondly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

I was one of the people who thought that, but Harden would have for sure adapted. 

That was back when we thought Wall holding the ball too long was a good idea.  Times change.

i hope Beal is ok, he just went to the locker room.  He didn’t look injured though.  EDiT: he’s playing again, probably just had to use the bathroom or something.

Edited by Destino

Taking little sister to the Raptors game. 

She asked me if I thought they were going to win, I told her that if she wants to commit to DC sports to be prepared to get embarrassed at any given moment, it just comes with the territory. She understood.

"Okay."

"Okay."

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why are the Wizards trying to win?

Because the universe ****s with us like that. Whatever is the worst possible scenario, will happen. That means they will stay competitive just enough to convince the team they shouldn't sell players at the deadline. Hell they'll probably stay competitive enough for Ted to sneak in another extension for the unkillable

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, StillUnknown said:

Admittedly I don't know **** about hockey, but it strikes me as strange that Ted would not bring back the coach who won the cup, but will attach himself to the carcass of Grunfeld for his entire tenure here.

Ted never actually "fires" anyone though.. He lets the GM's do that. McPhee lasted what, 15-16 years? Caps fans begging for him corpse.. Did he even get fired or just decided a change of scenery was what he needed? Trotz, also contract situation, where it ended up being his choice to leave, not Ted.. I swear the dude is flat scared of confrontation of any kind.. Grunfeld will probably have a job here until he dies or decides to leave on his own.. Possibly, when his contract runs out Ted offers a deal he won't accept.. Best bet, imo.