Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Grunfeld is Vinny Cerrato tight with the owner and Jim Haslett cool with the press. Only he's managed to hold on for over a decade like some kind of curse.

A fan card movement wouldn't hurt, but the media wouldn't be on board, an there are enough schmucks that parrot what they read that they'd probably start a support petition.

What media? As far as I can tell the media covering this team is about five people. J Michael, Jorge Castillo, and the TruthAboutIt guys. I have to watch Brian Mitchell, who ostensibly knows nothing about the NBA, give me halftime analysis on the Wizards's local network.

The lack of a competent media watchdog is how things like Ernie Grunfeld getting 14 years on this job happen. The Wizards put out a second rate product in total anonymity. The fanbase is too tiny and misinformed to demand better.

There needs to be a major transformation for this team to take the next step into being legitimately good. It can happen. It happened for Atlanta. But it takes a GM as good as a Danny Ferry.

• Like 3

How is it possible in this day and age that a gm could have a secret contract extension to a multi million dollar business where every other team knows every salary detail of every component of every thing. That's the whole point of competitive balance, parity, and revenue sharing. Just when i thought there might just be a silver lining to this season, we get the pupu-platter supreme.

• Like 1

Grunfeld is Vinny Cerrato tight with the owner and Jim Haslett cool with the press. Only he's managed to hold on for over a decade like some kind of curse.

A fan card movement wouldn't hurt, but the media wouldn't be on board, an there are enough schmucks that parrot what they read that they'd probably start a support petition.

I think a fan card is a good idea. One to Ted. One to other local media and an online post tagging everyone under the sun.

The only plausible explanatiin is that EG has already used his secret contract powers to forge an agreement that will deliver Kevin Durant to DC... and that KD has been secretly acting as GM for the Wizards the past 2 years through his agent via Ernie Grunfeld.

I guess the only thing worst would be to hire Sam Tankie after the 76ers dump him...

I think that's the difference though. Bullets fans have been so thoroughly beaten down, North Korea-style, that we would rather just tune it all out more than usual to spare the pain of knowing the man who got to rebuild this team twice and is fully responsible for the coaching/drafting decisions, is allowed to make a third. While there was still just enough fire left in redskins fans to pay for tickets AND hold mass protests in the stadium on national television over the coach/gm/fo.

See Browns, Cleveland for a fan base that waited too long to voice their displeasure thoroughly and now are basically numb to the energy sapping gruel they are continually spoon-fed. Bullets=Browns.

• Like 2

There needs to be a major transformation for this team to take the next step into being legitimately good. It can happen. It happened for Atlanta. But it takes a GM as good as a Danny Ferry.

I believe I said this months ago but you poo-poo'd me, and then told me to continue jerking off to watching Garrett Temple play. 

The only plausible explanatiin is that EG has already used his secret contract powers to forge an agreement that will deliver Kevin Durant to DC... and that KD has been secretly acting as GM for the Wizards the past 2 years through his agent via Ernie Grunfeld.

I thought this may have been happening when KD was talking Oubre up on Instagram during the draft, and Ernie started wheeling and dealing to get him on the roster in less than an hour. But I really don't think I can stomach KD pulling a Lebron and being Ernie's puppeteer, even if it bring him here. 

Beal will likely be back IMO. I can't see anyone paying him a Max deal. I actually think he may take a short deal to get his max deal. 

Would be a good thing for the Wizards if he can continue to get better, and perhaps he can stay healthy. 

It sucks that the Wizards are the Wizards.

I learned a LONG time ago to never expect much from this team. I can't remember the time we had a legit big man or depth off the bench. It comes down to talent...we just don't have it. Or a good coach. It's the DC Curse don't feel too bad guys.

Beal will likely be back IMO. I can't see anyone paying him a Max deal. I actually think he may take a short deal to get his max deal. 

Would be a good thing for the Wizards if he can continue to get better, and perhaps he can stay healthy.

I don't think he's going to get a max deal either. Signing a short deal could be an advantageous gamble, but his options are limited by the fact that he's a RFA. He could sign the qualifying offer in order to become a UFA the next summer, but it'd be a tiny amount of money compared to the longer contract we'll offer him. And he's got such a big injury history that he needs to be thinking about safety and getting as much guaranteed money as soon as possible.

It hurt Beal to not be able to show out in the postseason again, right before his free agency. That was his best bet at securing a max contract after a disappointing season. The only thing working in his favor now is that every team is going to have so much money to spend.