Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If you let Beal walk I doubt Wall would ever re-up. He'd walk when his deal is up.

He wouldn't walk if we built a better team around him. A better team doesn't necessarily mean we have to have Beal on the roster either.

Edited by Gamebreaker

enjoy these last couple of years of John Wall while he's here

I'll believe it when I see it. Till then, I have enough things to stress about. Have to at least get a new HC/GM before his contract is up, or you're absolutely right.

Edited by Renegade7

This is John Wall's prime. When we drafted him in 2010. It is now 2016. Its the time to at least be competing for a top 2-3 seed in the conference. Instead we're going to miss the playoffs. If I'm Wall I'd be pissed too. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if we hear Wall wanting to be traded in the off season after we fire everyone and miss out on Durant.

It so ****ing obvious that we need a new head coach.

We have Wall, Beal and Morris all three really good players, with guys like Porter and Gortat who are solid. Also some dependable bench pieces. The Coach is just that awful.

I'll just keep pointing to the Celtics Roster and Coach and Our Roster and Coach. Pretty Sure Brad Stevens would have us towards the top of the east.

Our HC doesn't know when to call a T/O, can't let go of Temple, and doesn't even know what the teams identity should be. We went from focusing on defense and being successful to F that we want to score and run within a year.

I'd honestly be happy with Sam Cassell at this point. He knows the roster for the most part and I think he has enough experience as an assistant to make that jump to HC now

• Like 1

Why wouldn't we give Beal the max, injuries are a risk and that sucks, but he was a borderline all star this year at the age of 22. His best years are ahead of him. Pay him.

If anyone has noticed. Morris is back to his old very productive self with us. He took some time to assimilate but he is a very good fit with what we have.

We just need to get to the point where Wall/Beal/Morris are all playing at least 32 minutes per night.

Our weakness in the starting lineup is Porter, and he isn't even bad, but if we had a smart GM he would tell him to hit the weight room hard. He has been in the league for a bit now and still doesn't have an NBA body. He is a smart player and efficient scorer with good height/length, but how can you be 6'8" and in the NBA for 3 years and still be under 200 pounds?

So imo our talent really isn't a huge issue, but the GM/HC and the little behind the scenes things are, which I feel most would agree with

Why wouldn't we give Beal the max, injuries are a risk and that sucks, but he was a borderline all star this year at the age of 22. His best years are ahead of him. Pay him.

If anyone has noticed. Morris is back to his old very productive self with us. He took some time to assimilate but he is a very good fit with what we have.

We just need to get to the point where Wall/Beal/Morris are all playing at least 32 minutes per night.

Our weakness in the starting lineup is Porter, and he isn't even bad, but if we had a smart GM he would tell him to hit the weight room hard. He has been in the league for a bit now and still doesn't have an NBA body. He is a smart player and efficient scorer with good height/length, but how can you be 6'8" and in the NBA for 3 years and still be under 200 pounds?

So imo our talent really isn't a huge issue, but the GM/HC and the little behind the scenes things are, which I feel most would agree with

Beal is a good player when healthy, but he's 22 and already has a history of injuries, and is already on a minutes restriction. That's a LOT of baggage for a max player. A Max guy is someone you shouldn't have to worry about at all. Beal is just too much of a risk. Just because he's your best option doesn't mean you have to pay him. That's how we ended up with the messes of contracts like Gil and Jamison among others. With the money you save by not signing Beal you could potentially get 2-3 other good players that are reliable and durable.

And the thing is Beal is already a really good player in this league. People are acting like he is a 10 point per game guy.

Exactly how many SGs are better than him? Not too many. Much better to give a max to a player for what he is going to do, then giving it for what he has done so far. In terms of paying for someone who is past their prime as opposed to paying someone for their prime.

He is certainly a better scorer and outside shot than Wall and can also create for himself. He is worth the Max.... even more so to this franchise 

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I'm more of an NFL fan, but I think of a "max" contract in the same way as I do a "franchise" contract. Maybe that's totally off, but it seems to me that Beal is far from a franchise player. He seems to be a good Robin when healthy, but he doesn't seem to be a good ball handler, creator, and as others have said has been noticeably absent both from all star games and invites.

Paying great money for good players is a tough way to make yourself great. I guess the question is how far do you fall if you lose him, but how far can you get with him and does keeping him restrict you from getting other players who might propel you further?

• Like 1

Exactly how many SGs are better than him? Not too many.

It's a good question but I think it should be "how many scoring wings are better" because that's what Beal is.  He's not a combo guard, he needs to share the floor with a point player. 

Let's start with guys that can play the same role as Beal that I think have proven to be obviously better.  Harden, Wade, DeRozan, Thompson, Butler, Wiggins, Paul George, and Kawhi.  In addition to that Middleton and McCollum have had better years and don't have Beal's health issues.  Oladipo is arguably better and listed as a SG, but he's more of a combo guard so we can leave him off the list.  What about Giannis?  I'm not sure there has ever been an NBA player harder to slot into a traditional role. 

So I'll go with 10.

Another issue with Beal is that he lacks the size of a traditional star wing player.  He also lacks the handles and passing numbers for a star guard.  His game is kind of a tradtional SF in a SG body.

I will say this, I think that if Beal had been healthy all year this discussion wouldn't be happening.  He looked like he was ready to break out and reach 20ppg.  His scoring game has improved, especially the ease with which he gets to the rim.  That shouldn't be understated because that was a weakness of his, I thought, during his first two seasons. 

Sadly, here we are.

Maybe it's because I'm more of an NFL fan, but I think of a "max" contract in the same way as I do a "franchise" contract. Maybe that's totally off, but it seems to me that Beal is far from a franchise player. He seems to be a good Robin when healthy, but he doesn't seem to be a good ball handler, creator, and as others have said has been noticeably absent both from all star games and invites.

Paying great money for good players is a tough way to make yourself great. I guess the question is how far do you fall if you lose him, but how far can you get with him and does keeping him restrict you from getting other players who might propel you further?

In the NBA, getting max money doesn't necessarily mean you're a star player.  You can look at the money tossed around at various players throughout the years.  All you need to be is someone who fills a need on a certain team.  That's pretty much the criteria. 

Also, if you lose Beal, I guarantee you'll lose Wall (eventually).  Not to mention, losing him would create a giant hole on the roster, one of which I highly doubt could be filled. 

Edited by RonArtest15

Wiggins and oladipo are not better than beal. George and wade are super stars. That leaves harden, derozan, Thompson, and butler. Each has their own issues, like Bradley has. If u are top 5 at your position, you get the max. No questions.

Wiggins is a better player than Beal

when he develops a 3 point shot he will be averaging 25 a game

Shoot he could do it next year with a better coach and point guard.

Wiggins and oladipo are not better than beal. George and wade are super stars. That leaves harden, derozan, Thompson, and butler. Each has their own issues, like Bradley has. If u are top 5 at your position, you get the max. No questions.

How does being a super star somehow remove you from the top 5 list? I didn't count Oladipo. I just mentioned him as being arguably better, but because he played a different role I left him off. My list of scoring wings that I felt play roughly the same role as Beal and are better as of the end of this season is:

James Harden

Dwyane Wade

De Mar DeRozan

Klay Tompson

Jimmy Butler

Khris Middleton

CJ McCollum

Kawhi Leonard

Andrew Wiggins

Paul George

All of them have numbers that are roughly equal or better and none of them have health concerns nearly as serious. I did not include point guards that can be primary scorers or forwards so big they cant play at the 2 spot.