Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

J.Michael and Ron Thompson already going with the injury excuse for Grunfeld

J Michael literally brings nothing to the table as a journalist here. I get antsy when he shows up on the television talking about his tweets or whatever other excuse other than the blaring issues with coaching, rotations, and management. Of course, you cant bite the hand that feeds you i guess. But there sure isnt any transparency when it comes with the Redskins and the media.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Like I said before, the media is with him. Similar to how Jim Haslett had the local press in his corner. No matter how awful, they'll look for excuses. The Wizards don't get enough national press to get bigger names to look into this clown show.

^^ That's where I was going with us being irrelevant. We're like The Democratic Republic of Congo of the NBA. Top 3 human rights abuser but there's no real worldwide media coverage so nobody knows/cares. No quite ****ed up enough like an Afghanistan (Sixers) or strategic enough like North Korea (Knicks). There is no hope.

(Sorry for putting stupid professional basketball in the same discussion as real world pain and suffering.)

Where was the hope in that article? I believe it said Wittman is going to most likely be scape-goated for Ernie. Thats exactly what everyone feared for years. EG does not deserve another chance to rebuild and/or pick a new coach. We have a good young core that can certainly compete with anyone if healthy. Additionally, we have a huge amount of cap space coming into the next season. Cut bait!

I dont see losing out on Durant as a failure. I never thought it was going to happen anyways. We would also have to jettison one of Otto/Oubre for pennies on the dollar should we get Durant anyways. Its a good problem to have, but its a problem nonetheless. I truly believe that a few good key pick ups to shore up the backup 2 behind Beal's guaranteed-resigning, and Nene's future replacement ( Im all for bringing him back next season), a new coach, and a GREAT culture emanating from the new GM would catapult us to top 2 in the conference. Who would be this coach? Im not sure, but I did like what Blatt brought to the table. I'd like to see Blatt stick it to LeBron. Gm-wise: Weaver; without a doubt

Smart moves like poaching Olynyk from Boston, or Leonard from Portland. Both are coming off injured seasons, and could share time with Nene at the 5.  Grabbing Courtney Lee or Afflalo could spell Beal in the starting lineup.

My top 2 moves would be to grab Dellavadova and Olynyk. Cleveland cant resign everyone. Someone is gonna get poached, and I for one love Delly's old man game. Dude is a pest and has gotten much better on the offensive end. He also has had a ton of experience now playing off ball to Lebron's point forward position. Of course this is all a far cry from getting Durant... but these replacements along with a new front office and culture would benefit this team far greater than a panic move of keeping EG, grabbing some random coach, and throwing stupid money at a guy like Horford instead.

Since the Wiz presumably have no draft this upcoming year how harmful will it be to keep Grunfield? There's a ton of cap space, but if Durant is out of the picture do they have to spend it. Mind you, you don't want to waste another year of Wall's career and you really ought to figure out what you have in Beal, Oubre, and Porter, but...

The question that the Wizards need to decide if they are going to make a huge investment free agencywise this offseason. If they do, then they ought to make sure that coach, management, and team are in the same boat with the same vision. If you have doubts about Grunfield then you ought to make the move because after a decade you know what you have in him. You know what you like about him and where his weaknesses are. You know the degree to which you believe in him and his philosophy and the degree to which you doubt. You've also seen him twice make a pretty drastic overhaul, so you have data on how he does that and how well.

I'd lean against keeping him just because I don't think you envision keeping him 5 years from now. I know the sentiment in here is opposed to him as well. I guess the last question is how much needs to change to make the Wiz a success and what do you mean by success?

It's harmful because this would arguably be Ernies last chance to save his job. Anything is possible. Tons of cap, young talented players to deal away for Vets etc. We've seen this before and you know how it ends.

Basically the Brooklyn Swamp Dragons.

Edited by daveakl

There is no doubt about Grunfeld Burgold--he is a bad GM. There is zero question that he needs to be fired. He's the league's fourth or fifth longest tenured GM in the NBA and the other four guys have 13 of the last 16 championships. That's also not counting the '99 Spurs championship team when Buford was assistant GM. What are Ernie's greatest accomplishments over this span? A 44, 45, and 46 win seasons and three first round playoff series wins. What's his biggest accomplishment as a drafter (one of the most important roles of the GM)? Two All Stars. In his 30+ years as a GM. And one of them was a can't miss #1/#1.

Ernie's continued employment is disgraceful. It is a clear signal to the basketball world that we are a second rate organization. Every year he stays GM is a year this team remains a second rate organization.

Oh and **** NO should Ernie get to pick our next coach. The whole ****ing house needs to be cleaned out.

• Like 2

Just consider how much the Wizards have spent trying to find a back up SG. Then think of how damaging selling Clarkson to the Lakers is.

That's one of Ernie's common and highly destructive flaws as a GM. A draft mistake followed by a parade of faces and contracts trying to fix it. We've seen that scenario play out at all three starting spots along the front line and at both back up guard spots.

• Like 2