Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I saw John Wall make poor decisions at key points offensively... mostly forcing things that weren't there. He would push the ball up, which was fine, but then he would make ill-advised drives into the lane and force up bad shots or turn the ball over. He was impatient and tried to force his will on the game. He'll get better, but he was disappointing late in that series when he tried to take things into his own hands.

Couldn't agree more. This has been my main beef with him. It's like he wants to score sooo bad that he takes these ridiculous shots. His decision making is subpar. Then add the poor shooting. I stated a long time ago that Wall may end up not being the player we envisioned.

Despite that he has helped bring back a pathetic franchise so props for that.

Here is the deal... The question that needs to be answered first is do we go all in now to win a championship, or do we be patient and wait. 

If we want to win now, then you go after a Carmelo, and bring back Gortat and see if you can get rid of Nene's contract.

But if we're patient, we can bring back Gortat. And start building a bench.

Personally, I'll go with the latter.

See if we can bring in Meeks or Sefolosha to come off the bench. We can roll with Miller for one more season as a backup PG. I think Gooden has shown enough that he can be brought back, or we can look at Patterson.

Our roster could look like this:

Wall/Miller

Beal/(Meeks or Sefolosha)

Porter/Webster

Nene/(Gooden or Patterson)/Booker

Gortat/Seraphin

You ain't winning a Championship with that, but it could put you in a position to bring in a third piece...

Here's the thing that makes the Wall and Beal comparison interesting.

Regular Season

19.3 ppg  .433 fg%  .351 3p%  .805 ft%  4.1 reb  8.8 ast  3.6 to  1.8 stl

Playoffs

16.3 ppg  .366 fg%  .219 3p%  .765 ft%  4.0 reb  7.1 ast  3.3 to  1.6 stl

Compare that to Beal

Regular Season

17.7 ppg  .419 fg%  .402 3p%  .788 ft%  3.7 reb  3.3 ast  1.8 to  1.0 stl

Playoffs 

19.2 ppg  .424 fg%  .415 3p%  .796 ft%  4.9 reb  4.5 ast  2.1 to  1.6 stl

Wall is in year 4 versus Beal who is in his 2nd year.  Wall is expected to be better at this point, and in the regular season he certainly was.  The problem is that when the playoffs rolled around Beal stepped his game up and improved on essentially all of his regular season numbers.  Wall slid backwards significantly.  Who thought the guard with average handles in just his second year was going to be the one to thrive in the post season?  No one.  Wall was supposed to be the guy and instead he become a major liability in more than a few games because his scoring efficiency drove off of a cliff and died in a fiery explosion of sadness.  

That is what makes me think Beal can be a better player than I gave him credit.  He improved despite playing the best defensive teams in the NBA and having both of those teams attempt to shut him down with long capable defenders.  

I still think Wall can be a great player but if his scoring efficiency can't improve dramatically in the post season, he's suddenly much less valuable.  I think he will and I think next year he's going to be a 21ppg player if he can stay healthy.  If that translates into the playoffs, I can't say, but I like his chances.  

I saw John Wall make poor decisions at key points offensively... mostly forcing things that weren't there.  He would push the ball up, which was fine, but then he would make ill-advised drives into the lane and force up bad shots or turn the ball over.  He was impatient and tried to force his will on the game.  He'll get better, but he was disappointing late in that series when he tried to take things into his own hands.

Cool, so a 6 game series overrides the much much larger sample size.  Neither had a good series.

It's not an insult to Beal to say he's not as good as a rookie Wall because John has been a very good player since he was a rookie. He's a franchise player. A transcendent talent and a #1 overall pick. Beal doesn't have the same pedigree and his expectations and responsibilities will never be the same.

He is not a transcendent talent nor does he have to be. He still has a lot to work on to be a top-5, top-10 player in this league. He is fully capable of getting there, but let's not put the cart before the horse.

Cool, so a 6 game series overrides the much much larger sample size.  Neither had a good series.

I made an observation about the playoffs.  That's to take nothing away from Wall getting the team there.  He's young.  I think his decisionmaking will improve over time with experience.  The ideal will be that he'll learn to harness his insane physical gifts and couple them with that good decisionmaking.

With Beal I saw no shrinking from the tough spots.  He was willing to take the key shots at pressure points and -  more often than not - he came through. 

I made an observation about the playoffs.  That's to take nothing away from Wall getting the team there.  He's young.  I think his decisionmaking will improve over time with experience.  The ideal will be that he'll learn to harness his insane physical gifts and couple them with that good decisionmaking.

With Beal I saw no shrinking from the tough spots.  He was willing to take the key shots at pressure points and -  more often than not - he came through.

Wall is already generally a good decision maker. He's a legit All Star. Sticks's point is that you're basing your conclusions about both Wall and Beal off a small sample size. You haven't watched the team enough to form reliable conclusions.

I would not trade either Wall or Beal for Love. I have my fingers crossed that Otto looks like a solid player to the point that we can maybe offer him in a year or two for someone like Cousins or Monroe. Another reason to let Ariza walk. If Porter plays well, he's a massive trade chip.

Edited by No Excuses

Everyone on the team was making poor choices late in games and thats why I think we need another scorer or clutch player.

So many times where Beal or Wall took a 3 and missed late in the game on a fast break or in a Indiana defensive breakdown, when there was a clear path right to the basket for an easy lay up they passed on almost a guaranteed 2 points for a lower percentage J.

When they had the lead and they were just jacking up shots with 18 secs still on the shot clock late in games.

Ariza trying to create his own shot and missing or turning the ball over. Ariza can not create his own shots that his biggest weakness and he was trying to do it with the game on the line.

Wall getting in the air at the basket already at the rim for a easy 2 and he kicks it out for a missed 3.

Wall expecting foul calls when he was not getting any the entire game and when he was getting touched he would just throw the ball up expecting a foul but no whistle. Easy turn over for IND.

Nene missing layups

Gortat missing layups  and hook shots and traveling

Wizards with an improved bench and the same roster can push for 50 wins. But would not get any further in the playoffs. They need another person who can score and who is clutch or just hope Beal takes 3 steps and becomes that player next year.

It doesn't have to be Bosh or Melo. Those pieces would be nice but it could be something like adding a Nate Robinson or Z Bo 

Edited by Mocountyskins

Wall is already generally a good decision maker. He's a legit All Star. Sticks's point is that you're basing your conclusions about both Wall and Beal off a small sample size. You haven't watched the team enough to form reliable conclusions.

All true. All four sentences. But there is no denying that he made some bad decisions at key points late in the Pacers' series.  I like that he tried to take the game over with his speed and ability to penetrate.  I wasn't so happy with his shot selection and having no Plan B on his drives.

Edited by Dan T.

Boswell wrote an article the other day about unrealistic expectations for all the new, young, high-draft picks we have in DC now. Griffin, Wall, Harper, Stras; I highly recommend it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/blogsandcolumns/from-john-wall-to-stephen-strasburg-to-rgiii-to-bryce-harper-washingtons-young-stars-are-judged-by-impossible-standards/2014/05/17/af752640-dd25-11e3-8009-71de85b9c527_story.html

One of the most destructive fallacies in sports is that the highest draft picks in the NBA, NFL and MLB can quickly transform their previously awful teams into champions — or near champs — in their first half-dozen years as pros. Just the opposite is true. The yardstick with which Washington and other towns measure their most conspicuous and often most criticized young talents is calibrated all wrong.

Washington gets indigestion when it tries to enjoy or evaluate the wonderful young pro athletes who’ve come to town hyped to the heavens and picked at the top of the draft. We can’t figure out whether to praise or blame — and in what proportion — John Wall, Robert Griffin III, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper for the levels of success their teams have reached in the postseason in recent years.

In the past five calendar years, Strasburg (2009 draft), Harper (2010) and Wall (2010) were picked No. 1 overall in their sports, and Griffin (2012) was one of the most-hailed No. 2 overall picks in NFL history, accompanied by far more anticipation than most “1-1s.” How much should they have done by now?

Edited by Renegade7

Eh, he's playing for his country. Not sure how the Wizards could be more important

Eh, he's getting paid $13 million a year by the wizards and he's talking about he wants his minutes limited and has a recurring knee injury. I can understand what he wants to do, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it considering the circumstances.

Edited by Renegade7

I strongly suggest that fellow Wizards fans or fans who just hopped on this season and are interested in possibly following the Wizards again next season to look at the 2nd best site in the world behind Extremeskins

http://www.bulletsforever.com/

By far the best Wizards site. It has a lot of members and you get a lot of good breakdowns from solid writers and intelligent board members.

Okay, now I learned that NY can offer Melo 5 years 129 mil :o and no other team can come in within 30 mil of that :mellow:

So I know Melo says he wants to win and has stated this season he doesn't care about the money but 30 mil is a lot of money so idk if Melo will go anywhere this year.

I really think that the Amnesty Miami used this season points to them blowing up the team after this season which means that Bosh could be on the Market. I think Bosh is someone that the Wizards could realistically have a shot at landing. I also think that Bosh has another 3-4 years left of All star play which is perfect for a 3 or 4 year deal. I also think that Bosh on a team without LBJ can go back to his Toronto form and be a 20/10 guy. He fits well with what the Wiz have in place. He is a stretch 4 that can knock down the 3 and a nice perimeter game. He also has the ability to score in the paint. He really stepped up defensively this year and improved in that area. I think that he would be a good fit. Once again idk how you get any of these players with Nene on the books unless you move him. IF the Wiz moved Nene I think they would have enough money for Bosh and would be able to keep either Gortat or Ariza.

To get Monroe we would likely have to pay him 4/56 which has the potential for disaster. Monroe would be a boom or bust. He is only 23 and he averaged 15/9. Big men usually reach their prime later rather than earlier so he could have a lot of room to grow. If Monroe became what most execs think he has the potential to become we are talking about the "potential" to be the best big in the league.

The problem is that Monroe plays really very bad cant quite stress it enough badly poor craptacular defence. He does not give his best effort, his lateral movement is piss poor and his instincts are slow he rotates to his assignments very slowly. But then again he is only 23 so there is a long time for him to improve. Also in Detroit he was playing in the 4. If he got moved back to Center which is his true position that could also impact his defence maybe he plays better defense at center compared to PF. Also Detroits front court was just so damn big everything was clogged in the paint with Drum and Smith so maybe that also played a part in his ability to grab more than 9 boards and to play better D.

Other notable quality players this offseason include Z bo, David West, Taj Gibson  :D, Jeff Green, Monroe and even tho the Wizards don't need him Kyle Lowry will make a potential big splash. Lowry is a top 8 PG for sure.

Edited by Mocountyskins

I want Kevin Love here in DC, but not at the expense of Bradley Beal.  In just two seasons, Bradley Beal has played more playoff basketball than Kevin Love has in his career.  Let that sink in. 

Give up Porter/Nene/future unprotected 1st round picks...absolutely NOT to Beal.  And if the reports are true that GS is gonna offer Harrison Barnes and David Lee, then that bodes well for us when considering a trade package.

I want Kevin Love here in DC, but not at the expense of Bradley Beal.  In just two seasons, Bradley Beal has played more playoff basketball than Kevin Love has in his career.  Let that sink in. 

Give up Porter/Nene/future unprotected 1st round picks...absolutely NOT to Beal.  And if the reports are true that GS is gonna offer Harrison Barnes and David Lee, then that bodes well for us when considering a trade package.

If Minnesota were in the East, Love probably would have been in the playoffs by now.

Love's a pipe dream anyway, can't imagine he's in a hurry to reunite with the guy who told him to stop shooting 3's.

• Like 1