Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

SLAM: Q&A with Bradley Beal

http://www.slamonline.com/blogs/being-billy-hoyle/bradley-beal-interview-wizards/

The Washington Wizards turned some heads earlier this postseason, blowing by the Bulls in the first round and scaring the crap out of the Pacers in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. During that stretch, second-year guard Bradley Beal led the team in scoring at 19.2 ppg, to go along with 4.9 boards and 4.5 dimes a night in his first taste of the NBA Playoffs—all significant increases from his equally impressive regular season stats.

Put another way, the STL native put up video game numbers.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but it's from SLAM so I know it's probably good.

It's a really appealing top five. Less appealing after that. But there are some wrinkles. For example, Utah is stuck in no man's land and they pick five. The BPA at five will absolutely be a PG, but Burke is their guy. They need to make a trade. They're not going to go anywhere sticking with all of Burke, Kanter, Favors, Hayward, and Burks plus this 5th pick. But package Kanter + 5 + Hayward and that should be enough for something legitimately good.

If I were the Knicks, I would trade Melo for Favors, Hayward, and #5 and take Exum/Smart.

What are the odds that Melo ever actually steps foot in Utah if that trade is made?

There was some speculation on a radio show (can't remember which one) that Lebron might want to come here if the Heat fail to mount a comeback in the finals. Any thoughts?

There is zero chance that will happen. He's not going to opt out when they lose in the Finals. And even if he did and wanted to come here, we couldn't afford him. I won't even bother to ponder how that scenario would make me feel.

There is zero chance that will happen. He's not going to opt out when they lose in the Finals. And even if he did and wanted to come here, we couldn't afford him. I won't even bother to ponder how that scenario would make me feel.

We could afford him.

Just renounce the cap holds on Ariza,Gortat,Singleton etc.

• Like 1

We could afford him.

Just renounce the cap holds on Ariza,Gortat,Singleton etc.

I'm not sure about that. We're on the hook for 46.5 million next year and the projected cap is 63.2. We have 16.7 million in cap space. Andre Miller's last year isn't fully guaranteed apparently, so I believe we can cut him to create an additional 2.6 million in cap space. Then you'd have 19.3, which still isn't enough to sign LeBron unless he'd sign for less than the max.

He's eligible for 22.12 million in the first year. He'd have to leave 3 million on the table the first year and a lot more in the next three years of the deal when you factor in his raises (which I believe would be smaller here than what Miami could offer him). That's leaving like 18 million ish on the table. Now factor in a fifth year he could get if he stays in Miami. That year with the big raises Miami could offer him is worth close to 30 million. That's leaving 50+ million on the table to leave Miami and sign here.

PLUS he's still got two years and 42 million dollars left if he opts into the next two years of his current deal. It is a very strong bet he commands a full five year 35% max deal when that thing is over in the summer of 2016. He'd be 31. But is it still a strong a bet he'll command a 5 year 35% deal two years later when he's 33? That's when he'd be negotiating his next contract if he signed here.

Now you're talking about him walking away from 90+ million SURE THING dollars by leaving Miami this summer to sign here for a less than max deal.

That's not happening. Again, I don't think we can afford him even IF he wants to leave Miami and come here. We'd have to shed another salary to offer him a max deal, and we're already a thin team as is. Who do you dump? It'd have to be either Porter or Webster since our only other contracts would be Wall, Beal, Nene, LeBron, and Rice Jr.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

You'd have to make an unbalanced trade to dump Webster. You wouldn't choose to keep him over Porter. So unbalanced trade with New Orleans for someone like Pierre Jackson. Then after renouncing Andre Miller we're at like 40 million. Add LeBron's 22 and we're just under the cap with this roster:

PG: Wall, Jackson

SG: Beal, GRJr

SF: LeBron, Porter

PF: Nene

C:

I don't think that's really much better than what he's got in Miami truth be told.

That big situation would be ugly with no Gortat. 1500 minutes of Nene, a full MLE contract, and then some vet min contracts.

And then who handles the ball? LeBron and Wall are probably two of the three most ball dominant players in the league. Neither of them can really do much off the ball. You'd be running into the exact same issues that LeBron has with Wade in Miami. Except Wall is on the up and up and is going to take the ball out of LeBron's hands, not step aside graciously like a breaking down, 32 year old, already got his rings Wade. So what, take the ball away from LeBron, turn him into Karl Malone, and just run a **** ton of PnRs? That actually wouldn't be bad, but LeBron would never go for it. You're talking about a total adjustment and having to really become a pretty secondary player. LeBron has four MVPs and two rings, he's not going to want to become a beta player to a 24 year old first time All Star Wall while he's still in his prime.

LeBron coming to D.C. just doesn't make sense. Kevin Love? Yes. Kevin Durant? ABSOLUTELY. Not LeBron. Not unless you just go all in, make it LeBron's team, and deal Wall for a more complimentary piece to LeBron.

**** that.

Can we go back to the LeBron topic?

What if LeBron was willing to come here and sacrifice whatever in his game to make it work with Wall?

Hasn't he demonstrated his selflessness on the court after all?

And thinking about it, wouldn't Wall be a better fit with LeBron than Wade was/is because he's a true PG and Wade is a scorer?

What if LeBron essentially became a true front court player and true forward if he played here?

He'd essentially be something of a rich man's Karl Malone offensively. He could be the best PnR roll man in the game playing alongside a superior pass first PG like Wall. And his post game could become more of a weapon. You'd have his perimeter game to fall back on if Wall isn't feeling it/is off the court. His passing would be off the charts for a front court player. And in time, he could probably gethis body to where he could defend power forwards all game.

I don't know, I think it could definitely work a lot better than I originally thought. The LeBron in two years probably isn't going to be the LeBron of last season. It could actually be a natural transition for him play style-wise as he ages.

A Wall, Beal, Porter, LeBron, Gortat starting five would win championships. They would easily outclass any other team and LeBron could spend the rest of his career with Wall, Beal, and Porter and them never leaving their primes. Never have to worry about his supporting cast again.

I know I know, this isn't going to happen. He's not going to leave Miami, and if he did, it wouldn't be for Grunfeld and Wittman. Nene's contract is in the way. Three max contract constructions aren't feasible any more, and Beal is probably going to command a near mini max extension the same time Nene's contract comes off, essentially replacing Nene's cap hit.

But damn, build that Wall/Beal/Porter/LeBron/Gortat team on NBA 2K and see what happens. See if you don't win 70 something games.

The second the ink was dry on a Wizards contract with LeBroni's name on it, I would have a bonfire with all my Wizards / Bullets gear in it.

**** that son of a ****.

(By the way this would never happen.)

Lol. I've actually softened a bit over the last few years. Back during the days of The Decision, I made sure it be known that if LeBron came here, I wouldn't be seen in this thread anymore. That the Wizards would be dead to me until the day he left, I don't care how many rings he got here. Nowadays, while I'd never, ever buy a LeBron Jersey or support him in any way, I'd still follow the team. I'd just have to squint and pretend it's someone else whenever he got the ball (because it'll always be **** LeBron.)

My 2k team is wall, beal, gallinari, ilyasova and Noah. The floor spacing is ridiculous and Noah is a beast rebounder and defender.

I might crack and get a PS4 just for 2K Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Lol. I've actually softened a bit over the last few years. Back during the days of The Decision, I made sure it be known that if LeBron came here, I wouldn't be seen in this thread anymore. That the Wizards would be dead to me until the day he left, I don't care how many rings he got here. Nowadays, while I'd never, ever buy a LeBron Jersey or support him in any way, I'd still follow the team. I'd just have to squint and pretend it's someone else whenever he got the ball (because it'll always be **** LeBron.)

I might crack and get a PS4 just for 2K

Game is free on PS3 right now

Do any of you do the My Career mode on 2K? I've played it the past couple years and I would make myself get traded to the Wizards to play out a career there. At first I would be like, can't be a PG, don't want to compete with Wall. So I'd be a SG. Then couldn't do that because I didn't want to compete with Beal. Then C, then SF. Now PF is pretty much it. The team has gotten so much better.

Can we go back to the LeBron topic?

What if LeBron was willing to come here and sacrifice whatever in his game to make it work with Wall?

Hasn't he demonstrated his selflessness on the court after all?

And thinking about it, wouldn't Wall be a better fit with LeBron than Wade was/is because he's a true PG and Wade is a scorer?

What if LeBron essentially became a true front court player and true forward if he played here?

He'd essentially be something of a rich man's Karl Malone offensively. He could be the best PnR roll man in the game playing alongside a superior pass first PG like Wall. And his post game could become more of a weapon. You'd have his perimeter game to fall back on if Wall isn't feeling it/is off the court. His passing would be off the charts for a front court player. And in time, he could probably gethis body to where he could defend power forwards all game.

I don't know, I think it could definitely work a lot better than I originally thought. The LeBron in two years probably isn't going to be the LeBron of last season. It could actually be a natural transition for him play style-wise as he ages.

A Wall, Beal, Porter, LeBron, Gortat starting five would win championships. They would easily outclass any other team and LeBron could spend the rest of his career with Wall, Beal, and Porter and them never leaving their primes. Never have to worry about his supporting cast again.

I know I know, this isn't going to happen. He's not going to leave Miami, and if he did, it wouldn't be for Grunfeld and Wittman. Nene's contract is in the way. Three max contract constructions aren't feasible any more, and Beal is probably going to command a near mini max extension the same time Nene's contract comes off, essentially replacing Nene's cap hit.

But damn, build that Wall/Beal/Porter/LeBron/Gortat team on NBA 2K and see what happens. See if you don't win 70 something games.

Wall wouldn't be a good fit with LeBron because Wall is a poor outside shooter and LeBron hates playing PF. Also, both need the ball to be worth max contracts.