Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The draft is Thursday and we have the 46th pick.  To properly set expectations, here is a list of the most recent players taken in the 46 spot.

All-Time #46 Picks

Year | Player | Drafted By | School/Country | NBA Experience | Stats

2013 - Erick Green | Utah | Virginia Tech | No NBA Experience
2012 - Darius Miller | New Orleans | Kentucky | 2 seasons | 97 games | 3.3 ppg | 0.9 apg | 1.3 rpg
2011 - Andrew Goudelock | LAL | College of Charleston | 41 games | 4.3 ppg | 0.5 apg | 0.8 rpg
2010 - Gani Lawal | Phoenix | Georgia I of T | 1 game | 0.0 ppg | 0.0 apg | 0.0 rpg
2009 - Danny Green | Cleveland | UNC | 5 seasons | 8.8 ppg | 1.4 apg | 3.0 rpg
2008 - Trent Plaisted | Seattle | BYU-Hawaii | No NBA Experience
2007 - Stephane Lasme | Golden St. | UMass | 1 season | 16 games | 5.2 ppg | 0.2 apg | 3.3 rpg
2006 - Dee Brown | Utah | University of Illinois | 2 seasons | 68 games | 2.1 ppg | 1.8 apg | 1.0 rpg
2005 - Erazem Lorbek | Indiana | Michigan St. | No NBA Experience
2004 - Ha Seung-Jin | Portland | Korea | 2 seasons | 46 games | 1.5 ppg | 0.1 apg | 1.5 rpg
2003 - Sani Becirovic | Denver | Slovenia | No NBA Experience
2002 - Jamal Sampson | Utah | Cal | 5 seasons | 72 games | 2.0 ppg | 0.4 apg | 3.4 rpg
2001 - Ousmane Cisse | Denver | Eastern Illinois | No NBA Experience
2000 - DeeAndre Hulett | Toronto | College of the Sequoias | No NBA Experience
1999 - J.R. Koch | New York | University of Iowa | No NBA Experience
1998 - Andrae Patterson | Minnesota | Indiana | 2 seasons | 40 games | 3.0 ppg | 0.4 apg | 1.7 rpg
1997 - Eric Washington | Orlando | Alabama | 2 seasons | 104 games | 6.9 ppg | 1.0 apg | 2.1 rpg
1996 - Marcus Brown | Portland | Murray St. | 2 seasons | 27 games | 3.4 ppg | 0.9 apg | 0.8 rpg
1995 - George Banks | Miami | UTEP | No NBA Experience
1994 - Voshon Lenard | Milwaukee | Minnesota | 11 seasons | 11.9 ppg | 2.1 apg | 2.8 rpg
1993 - Richard Petruska | Houston | UCLA | 1 season | 22 games | 2.4 ppg | 0.0 apg | 1.4 rpg
1992 - Robert Werdann | Denver | St. Johns | 3 seasons | 47 games | 2.5 ppg | 0.1 apg | 1.5 rpg
1991 - Richard Dumas | Phoenix | Oklahoma St. | 3 seasons | 10.6 ppg | 1.4 apg | 3.4 rpg
1990 - Kenny Williams | Indiana | Elizabeth City State | 4 seasons | 4.8 ppg | 0.6 apg | 2.7 rpg

Focus on the BPA, or draft someone to stash.  Simple as that. 

Got a feeling that Satoransky will be traded...

That bag of basketballs we get in return will be very valuable.

Is he still playing in the Summer League this year?

Based on interviews, he has no intention. Not sure if the Wizards can force him, but he definitely doesn't want to play in the Summer League.

Wall wouldn't be a good fit with LeBron because Wall is a poor outside shooter and LeBron hates playing PF. Also, both need the ball to be worth max contracts.

I don't necessarily disagree about the max contract thing. But you've got to think two players that are as selfless and good at passing as Wall and LeBron could figure out how to play off each other.

I don't think Wall will ever have trouble playing with anyone in this league because his game is a lot diverse than people think.

He's been hamstrung by one huge roster problem his whole career. He has never had another good ball handler in the starting line up. He's never had a big man who commands doubles. Both problems put too much pressure on the primary ball handler.

Kawhi Leonard. We sold that pick to San Antone. Grrr....

I don't think so. I think you're thinking of dude from Pitt who slipped to the 2nd. Brain fart on his name. Knee issues. IIRC, we sold the pick instead of taking him. Spurs took him. He's in Dallas now.

We passed on Leonard and took Jan. Then we took Singleton with our second 1st rounder a couple of picks after the Spurs took Leonard.

• Like 1

I don't think so. I think you're thinking of dude from Pitt who slipped to the 2nd. Brain fart on his name. Knee issues. IIRC, we sold the pick instead of taking him. Spurs took him. He's in Dallas now.

We passed on Leonard and took Jan. Then we took Singleton with our second 1st rounder a couple of picks after the Spurs took Leonard.

DeJuan Blair is the name I believe.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/06/25/kevin-durant-defends-lebron-james-talks-about-his-own-free-agency/

Kevin Durant defends LeBron James, talks about his own free agency

“I don’t know what the big deal is,” Durant said, shortly after his “KD7″ was revealed. “You know, as a player, I think that’s the best way to go about it. You can have all your options. It’s better for you as a player to opt-out, because you can get a market deal, you can get more years. You never know what will happen if you pass up on that. So I didn’t know what the big deal was. I’m sure it was a decision he made — something he was thinking about — for him and his family.”

Durant, of course, could face his own free agency decision in 2016. Various fan bases — including the one in Washington — are already salivating over this prospect. And yet, for the time being, Durant and Tim Duncan are heralded for their single-team loyalty, held up as the opposite of James.

The event was peppered with nods to Durant’s home town, from several dozen kids from Seat Pleasant who sat in the audience to the silhouette of Maryland on his new shoe’s outsole to his memories of growing up in Prince George’s County. So I sort of had to ask Durant how many requests for a permanent homecoming he receives during his regular trips to Washington.

“I’ve been getting a lot lately,” he said with a grin. “But everybody knows I love OKC and knows that I’m under contract right now. A lot of people ask me, but I just try to stay focused on today, and I’ll worry about that when I get there".

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I would have been fine with Blair on this squad regardless of his lack of ACLs. Guy is a solid contributor

This is one of my favorite Ernie moves.

We traded the Blair pick to San Antonio because we wanted to have some cap room for a reserve big man. San Antonio cut Fabricio Oberto, an old washed up center who offered nothing at this point. We signed Oberto with the money freed by trading the Blair pick.

San Antonio gets quality contributions from Blair his rookie season. He averaged 7 pts and 6 rbs per game coming off the bench, playing 20 minutes a night. Oberto gave us 10 minutes a game and averaged 1 pt and 1 rb.

Classic Ernie Grunfeld. It's such a god damn shame that he's still employed by this franchise.

I want Russ Smith or Nick Johnson at #46. 

Grunfeld will go back to his pool of Czech Republic talent. He's basically 0 for 2 with Vesely & Satoransky, but he's thinking that third time is a charm. He's not going to let all that time he spent scouting Vesely go to waste.

Grunfeld will go back to his pool of Czech Republic talent. He's basically 0 for 2 with Vesely & Satoransky, but he's thinking that third time is a charm. He's not going to let all that time he spent scouting Vesely go to waste.

We need someone who can contribute from day 1.  Johnson might be more of a project, but I think the Russ Smith is someone we can plug in right away on that second unit.  If he goes Euro-stash, I'm gonna be REAL pissed.