Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I have no problem with Gortat getting 5 years $50 million. He will give the Wizards good years and, as noted above by steve, he doesn't have the wear and tear of someone playing big minutes the last ten years. I think it's a good, calculated risk. Particularly when you factor in that the Wiz have absolutely no one else near being ready to play big center minutes.

Hopefully the Wiz aren't dumb enough to sign Ariza as well as all salary cap flexibility will be gone for the next 5 years.

5 years 50 isn't a bad deal, especially if they front load the contract where we take the biggest hits until Nene expires. Add in a team option for the 5th year and it's ok.

I am absolutely terrified of the Ariza contract. He is the one who can absolutely cripple this team.

If we resign Ariza, then Porter becomes nothing but a wasted 3rd pick. If Porter isnt starting by some point this year, its a failure. The management is putting this team into the worst possible corner. Yea Ariza is better than Porter now, but we absolutely need some space to sign other players.

If we resign Ariza, then Porter becomes nothing but a wasted 3rd pick. If Porter isnt starting by some point this year, its a failure. The management is putting this team into the worst possible corner. Yea Ariza is better than Porter now, but we absolutely need some space to sign other players.

Never seen a team tie up so many resources to essentially play the "3 & D" role.

The Wizards are stuck. It's either sign the devils you know or go in free agency and sign possibly less valuable players at the same amount of money.

Or drop salary and suck this year in some quioxitc attempt to get Durant in two years.

If Ariza walks, who do they sign? Deng at more money? What does that really do? Now your team is Wall, Beal, and Deng for the next four years?

The Wizards are stuck. It's either sign the devils you know or go in free agency and sign possibly less valuable players at the same amount of money.

If you have no faith at all in a guy to start for your team, then for the love of God dont draft him with the 3rd overall pick. Porter isnt a bad player. Thats the crazy thing. Hes rarely played bad when he was on the court. Why cant we give him a chance? Will we have to wait for Ariza to get break a leg or something for Porter to find some minutes again. Dude was still playing over him on back to backs with a high fever.

I just hope that the 5th year is a team option. 

Selling picks...bringing back pretty much the same team as last year. 

I mean, are we already reaching our ceiling? 

PLEASE make a play for Bosh. 

It is disheartening that we don't even appear to be putting our name in the discussion for one of the better free agents. As long as Ted gets his playoff money, he's good. I don't think he really cares if we really contend for titles.

It is disheartening that we don't even appear to be putting our name in the discussion for one of the better free agents. As long as Ted gets his playoff money, he's good. I don't think he really cares if we really contend for titles.

There is the Heat 3 who really aren't on the market and Melo who is a max player and a pain the ass.

In all honesty, one of the six or seven most attractive free agents on the market is Gortat. Signing him is good for the Wizards. The length of the contract can be debated of course.

Bosh is not really a free agent. Making a play for him would mean making a huge overplay for him - a 4 year max deal - that I'm not even sure the Wizards can do.

• Like 1

If he does, I'd S&T him or let him walk. That's too much for him.

Webster injury drove up his value....and of course the wizards will overpay.  So many cheap alternatives.  I was reading a stat that said Wall assisted on 68% of Ariza's 3's.  We can replicate his offense, but he's elite defensively.  However, he's not worth 9.5/10 mil per year. 

Or drop salary and suck this year in some quioxitc attempt to get Durant in two years.

If Ariza walks, who do they sign? Deng at more money? What does that really do? Now your team is Wall, Beal, and Deng for the next four years?

I don't think we're stuck with Ariza. If he walks, we'd take a hit but wouldn't necessarily backslide. He's not essential like Gortat is. And we've got Porter, we haven't even taken him out of the box.

The money you save from letting Ariza walk can get you a decent FA. My first choice is Patrick Patterson but there are probably others out there. It's a risk either way, but a better risk than overpaying Ariza and making him untradeable at 10 million a year when he's no longer playing like he did in a contract year. That'd completely lock up our roster for four years.

It may be quixotic to keep the door open for Durant. It looks like he'll stay in OKC forever. But being the one other NBA team that has a chance at him greater than zero, you HAVE to keep that door open. And I think you can stay good while maintaining roster flexibility by signing Gortat, letting Ariza walk, letting Nene expire, and filling in the cracks with two year deals this summer.

• Like 2

Porter has done nothing to prove himself, it's his own fault the 3rd overall pick couldn't crack an inch in the lineup

Porter was never slated to be a contributor his rookie year. The team went into the season aiming for the playoffs and was not going to give playing time to rookies. He was drafted because no one expected Ariza to be resigned. Now we are looking at the possibility of a wasted top 3 lotto pick and a bloated contract for a guy who has a history of doing well in contract years and failing to live up to them.

• Like 1

I used to like Bosh, but the more I think about it, the more I think the production doesn't come close to matching the reputation for him any more. Isn't it troubling how irrelevant he often is in the postseason? How he's become a match ups player that so many teams seem to be able to neutralize?

I think Miami is going to overpay him to avoid shaking the tree too much.

If Pat Riley had some big ones, he'd trade Bosh now while the rest of the league is still seeing "nine time All Star" instead of "upper middle class man's Spencer Hawes."

If I were Riley, I'd S&T him to Houston for Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. Then I'd go after Trevor Ariza or Chandler Parsons.