Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We signed Deonte Burton...

Not sure if he's going to make the team, but he'll be someone to watch for in SL. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot4nkeq76TM

Loving this guys style of ball. We need a guy who attacks the basket aggressively and plays solid defense. Plus dude jumps out the building....Hope he makes the team....

We're fools if we don't maintain max contract space for Durant in the summer of 2016. Even if it's just a 5% chance of getting him, you have to do it.

It's obvious Durant is keeping us in his back pocket if things don't work out in OKC.

Sign Gortat, sign Ariza to a two year deal or move him before that summer for a contract that expires then. Trade Webster for an expiring before that summer. Do not sign Booker or Seraphin to deals longer that two years. Let Nene expire. All other FA acquisitions this summer need to be two year deals maximum. Do not trade for anyone whose contract doesn't expire before the summer of 2016. Trade draft picks unless we're actually getting excellent early contributors out of them.

When we hit that summer, our team needs to be:

Wall at 15.8 million

Gortat at ~10 million

Beal at a ~12 million

And probably Porter at 5.8 million.

That should leave us with max contract cap room for that summer. If Durant doesn't sign, whatever. We'd already have a good core group of players. Spend the money on a group of decent players. If he does, then we'll have the title favorite. There is very little downside to operating that way.

Right now, if Beal keeps on track, I think he's due for a Ty Lawson/Steph Curry type extension once his rookie deal expires. Definitely not a max player yet. But probably will be close by negotiation time.

I don't have time to quote get the quote from the Post, but EG said essentially the Wizards have a fairly deep team with players at every position.

It's always funny to read the comments in the Post from people drinking the EG kool aid. Sometimes I think they are people that get paid by the Wizards to type nice things about a terrible GM. I'm guessing Gortat and Ariza get 4 or 5 year deals from the Wiz and essentially last years team will be the team in place for the next few years. I expect the Wizards to have no cap room for the next few years and they will definitely miss out on a chance at any other superstars. Ted will be happy making the playoffs and getting bounced with no real chance at winning a championship. 

Hopefully Ariza will decide to go elsewhere and force the Wizards to change their strategy of simply retaining everyone.

Also, I agree with everyone raging at the way Ernie handled this draft.

A deep draft replete with franchise players and quality rotation pieces and we didn't even make a pick.

We should have tried to move into the class, not cash out of it.

Bottom line, a lot of teams, especially a lot of Eastern teams, used this draft to get better and we didn't.

Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Boston, and probably Philly all significantly improved IMO. Orlando probably improved too.

We're not good enough to punt a draft and hope to hold our ground in the second tier of the conference. We should have been trying to trade our way back into the first round and take a Mitch McGary or a Jordan Adams like the good franchises did.

Missed opportunity cost paid. Another frustrating reminder of the glass ceiling Ernie creates for our team.

Also, I agree with everyone raging at the way Ernie handled this draft.

A deep draft replete with franchise players and quality rotation pieces and we didn't even make a pick.

We should have tried to move into the class, not cash out of it.

The odd thing is that everyone seems to understand that this team's only move this off-season is to re-up its own guys. There is no way to bring in new blood outside of the draft.

We're fools if we don't maintain max contract space for Durant in the summer of 2016. Even if it's just a 5% chance of getting him, you have to do it.

It's obvious Durant is keeping us in his back pocket if things don't work out in OKC.

Sign Gortat, sign Ariza to a two year deal or move him before that summer for a contract that expires then. Trade Webster for an expiring before that summer. Do not sign Booker or Seraphin to deals longer that two years. Let Nene expire. All other FA acquisitions this summer need to be two year deals maximum. Do not trade for anyone whose contract doesn't expire before the summer of 2016. Trade draft picks unless we're actually getting excellent early contributors out of them.

When we hit that summer, our team needs to be:

Wall at 15.8 million

Gortat at ~10 million

Beal at a ~12 million

And probably Porter at 5.8 million.

That should leave us with max contract cap room for that summer. If Durant doesn't sign, whatever. We'd already have a good core group of players. Spend the money on a group of decent players. If he does, then we'll have the title favorite. There is very little downside to operating that way.

Right now, if Beal keeps on track, I think he's due for a Ty Lawson/Steph Curry type extension once his rookie deal expires. Definitely not a max player yet. But probably will be close by negotiation time.

Iono man, I'd LOVE to bring in KD. But it just seems like there are never any reports of the Wizards being even slightly interested going after the big time FAs. Carmelo & LeBron James are available, and I havent heard no reports of us having any interest in even trying to land one of those guys.

Its just hard for me to jump on the "save money to get KD, 2 years from now" bandwagon, when most likely 2 years from now, even if we have the doe, the Wizards wont even try to get him.

Sounds like the following are going summer camping with them so far.

Daniel Miller from Georgia Tech

Daniel Orton from Kentucky who's been in the league a few years

Deonte Burton as others have said already

Jerell Eddie from VA Tech

I like Daniel Miller. He is a big guy that has some potential, IMO. I have seen him play a lot over the years and he dominated at times. However, it also seemed like he was too passive sometimes as well. It seems like he was asked to play a handful of different roles at GT, which will happen when coaching staffs change a few times. That may have hurt his consistency a little. He is 6'11, 275 and averaged about 11 points and eight boards a game at GT last year. He can shoot a little and can bang inside, and got better each year. If someone can light a fire under him, he can be a player.

Edited by lovetoaster

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=16098

http://www.nba.com/wizards/webster-undergoes-procedure-repair-herniated-disc

WEBSTER OUT 3-5 MONTHS FOLLOWING BACK SURGERY!

Just boggles the mind that we would not even try to get/keep a player from the draft with this surgery pending.  Somebody in the organization knew this surgery was taking place and we did nothing relevant to improve the team.

Edited by ksun247

After the Gortat trade a lot of people wondered about how sustainable the plan really was. The Wizards could very easily take a big step backwards this offseason and it's not off to a great start. Here's hoping for some good news.

Not sure if I agree with this move or not, I think he is pretty valuable to our team

Booker is an end of the bench guy. Undersized, can't shoot or score, not a great rebounder. He hustles but that's about it.

It's nice to see that this team has all but given up on drafting and developing players. We are entering NBA purgatory that came about in the Arenas years. Bloated contracts for mediocre players. Complete lack of cheap depth.

Edited by No Excuses

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/06/28/andre-miller-will-be-back-with-wizards-trevor-booker-might-not/

Washington is still debating whether it will make Kevin Seraphin a restricted free agent by extending a $3.9 million qualifying offer by Monday. The 6-9 Seraphin had an uneven season as he battled a knee injury and lost his spot in the rotation. But a league source with knowledge of the situation said the team is “likely” to extend the offer to a 24-year-old big man who was taken 17th overall in 2010.

I'm not sure I understand not extending the offer to Booker, but extending one to Seraphin. Its a million more for Booker, but what little Booker has shown has been more than Seraphin.

We do not need Booker back. He is an undersized 4 who can only play the 4. He is a hustle player; an end of the bench sub that is quite situational. It would be better to save the money used on him and throw it towards a stretch 4 like the dude in Toronto. Seraphin is a bit undersized, but he can play both the 4 and the 5, has a plethora of offensive moves, and really only beats himself. If i have to keep one, and we do, Seraphin is the guy.

We do not need Booker back. He is an undersized 4 who can only play the 4. He is a hustle player; an end of the bench sub that is quite situational. It would be better to save the money used on him and throw it towards a stretch 4 like the dude in Toronto. Seraphin is a bit undersized, but he can play both the 4 and the 5, has a plethora of offensive moves, and really only beats himself. If i have to keep one, and we do, Seraphin is the guy.

Seraphin has one move: shoot at all costs