Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Since I am in a Men's Warehouse waiting for my nephews tux, I think it's necessary to use this analogy...

Whitman is like that girl you ask to prom because you feel like she's the right thing for you at that time. You could go for somebody better, but in your mind, it's all good because this, prom isn't your high school prom this the middle school prom.

In a couple of years, when it's the senior prom, you're going to get the best girl you can.

Right now, we ain't competing too much with the roster we have right now because of Nene's contract. Once we get rid of that, and get all the pieces we want, that is when we go all in on a beast coach.

I like this analogy:

When I was a senior in High School, one of my friends, a hot girl, wanted to set me up as the prom date for her super hot Eastern European exchange student. I was tempted, especially because it just fell into my lap. But I gently declined, set her up with one of my best friends instead, and they had a great time. Then I took another of my friends, who was dear to me and had much more in common with me, and then... acted like a childish, neglectful date. But I made the right choices up until that point, and she was the girl for me.

The point is, the grass isn't always greener. And personnel decisions are not necessarily zero sum. Somebody can work for you and your organization that other people don't really see it with. And vice versa, sometimes it's somebody that everyone else says, "Damn that is a sexy ass posh Eastern European girl," and that player/coach won't really work for you.

That's my hope with Randy. That he's the girl for us.

The coach isn't a problem while the basketball devil remains in a position to damn us all to the lottery again as soon as he gets an extension. I'll happily agree to keeping Randy for a decade if it means getting rid of Grunfeld. Is he really that much worse than Scott Brooks? I don't think so.

I liked the way Witt handled the playoffs, for the most part. If he coaches like that all next year, and we lock up some key guys I think we'll be back at the party again next year. Maybe even with a higher seed.

Getting to the party is no longer a question, nor should it be in a bad eastern conference. If you want simply want playoffs, which I believe Ted is more than fine accepting, Randy is fine. If you want advancement and legit shot to go to the ECF at least, you need an upgrade at coach. This is especially true if you plan on bringing back Gortat & Ariza. If you bring back the same roster, what changes if you don't change the coach?

Getting to the party is no longer a question, nor should it be in a bad eastern conference. If you want simply want playoffs, which I believe Ted is more than fine accepting, Randy is fine. If you want advancement and legit shot to go to the ECF at least, you need an upgrade at coach. This is especially true if you plan on bringing back Gortat & Ariza. If you bring back the same roster, what changes if you don't change the coach?

Beal and Wall, and hopefully Porter.

Beal and Wall, and hopefully Porter.

Otto is an unknown variable until proven otherwise. Since he wasn't an obvious choice, you would have to put faith in Grunfeld's scouting abilities to believe he can be worthy of that high a selection.

Wall & Beal should be better moving forward, but their improvement would fall in line with a decline from Nene and a smaller decline for Gortat.

Edited by StillUnknown

While i will admit Wittman coached his ass off in the playoffs, I didnt think he should have been brought back. But this is the Wizards we talking about here. We all knew he was coming back. Next Ernie will be brought back for another 5 years. And to put the cherry on top, Ariza will be resigned for 3 years at 8 mil per, effectively decreasing any large amount of minutes Porter might have gotten. Webster only had the average he had this year because he played the 2 and 3.

The coach isn't a problem while the basketball devil remains in a position to damn us all to the lottery again as soon as he gets an extension. I'll happily agree to keeping Randy for a decade if it means getting rid of Grunfeld. Is he really that much worse than Scott Brooks? I don't think so.

Whitman >> Scott Brooks.

Wittman isn't nearly as bad as some of yall are making him out to be.  I couldn't care less if the Bulls were missing Rose, there were moments when he flat outcoached Thibs, who is regarded as one of the best in the league. 

If the players buy in to what he's teaching, and they have, then I'm cool w/ it.  Until there is a mutiny or if his message is falling on deaf ears, he's got my support. 

• Like 1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2014/05/30/michael-lee-to-become-the-posts-national-nba-writer/

We are extremely pleased to announce that Michael Lee is moving from the Wizards beat to become our national NBA writer. Michael is one of the most experienced NBA journalists in the country, having covered teams and the league for more than 14 years here and at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He is a lively writer whose stories have nuance and sophistication (and often a wry sense of humor) that reflect his deep understanding of and love for the game. Michael’s made regular appearances on ESPN, NBATV, Comcast, Fox Sports and CBS Radio. He was part of our team of reporters at the Beijing Olympics and has also covered the baseball playoffs, World Series and the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. For NBA fans, he is a must-follow on Twitter.

Good job by the Post, sucks for us Wizards fans though. Michael Lee was great as a Wizards Insider, hope his replacement is half as good.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Say you did a fantasy draft on 2K and ended up with Wall, Beal, Porter, and Gortat as your starters + Kenneth Faried and Taj Gibson. Now say the Jazz are offering you Tim Duncan for Faried and Gibson and picks. Do you do it? Say the Raptors are also offering you Dirk for the same deal. Which one would you take?

Or would you go crazy and trade Gortat, Gibson, Faried and all of my future assets basically and bring in both Duncan and Dirk for a 5 man team with a two year window?

Say you did a fantasy draft on 2K and ended up with Wall, Beal, Porter, and Gortat as your starters + Kenneth Faried and Taj Gibson. Now say the Jazz are offering you Tim Duncan for Faried and Gibson and picks. Do you do it? Say the Raptors are also offering you Dirk for the same deal. Which one would you take?

Or would you go crazy and trade Gortat, Gibson, Faried and all of my future assets basically and bring in both Duncan and Dirk for a 5 man team with a two year window?

In real life, I would take the Dirk trade in a heartbeat...

But in 2K, I would stay put. Alley oops and threes for days with Wall, Beal, and Faried...

In real life, I would take the Dirk trade in a heartbeat...

But in 2K, I would stay put. Alley oops and threes for days with Wall, Beal, and Faried...

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. I've got Gibson as my sixth man. My rebounding is great. I can run the floor. And I can play defense. Don't necessarily need more than 10 PPG or so from my bigs because I've got Wall and Beal scoring.

That's the good long term play because both Duncan and Dirk heavily decline/retire within two years, and I won't have any assets or cap space beyond late draft picks when they retire.

But I am so tempted to say screw it and get Duncan and Dirk just because. My bench would go to crap, I wouldn't be able to run any more, and I would have no assets left but that would be such a sick front court that first year. Might be too many scorers though. Might be kind of lame to have both Duncan and Dirk average like 12 PPG. Though they'd probably shoot like 70%.

Nah, I'll probably just stay put. The way to go with Wall is fast breaks and pick and rolls and Gortat and Faried are better for that.

• Like 1

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233666/Celtics-Lakers-Kings-Hornets-Wolves-Suns-Open-To-Trading-Lottery-Pick

Celtics, Lakers, Kings, Hornets, Wolves, Suns Open To Trading Lottery Pick

The idea of a lottery pick in this year's draft being available in trade talks is a surprising development, but several teams appear amenable to a deal.

"I thought getting a lottery pick via trade would be virtually impossible this year," one NBA GM said. "It's not. There are a lot of teams in the lottery right now that would prefer a proven player. A lot of owners have lost their patience with the rebuilding process."

The Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Timberwolves and Phoenix Suns are all open to offers

for their lottery picks, according to sources.

The Milwaukee Bucks, Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trail Blazers and Toronto Raptors are expected to be especially busy looking to move up or to acquire a second pick.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

It's a really appealing top five. Less appealing after that. But there are some wrinkles. For example, Utah is stuck in no man's land and they pick five. The BPA at five will absolutely be a PG, but Burke is their guy. They need to make a trade. They're not going to go anywhere sticking with all of Burke, Kanter, Favors, Hayward, and Burks plus this 5th pick. But package Kanter + 5 + Hayward and that should be enough for something legitimately good.

If I were the Knicks, I would trade Melo for Favors, Hayward, and #5 and take Exum/Smart.

Or if I were Miami, I would trade Bosh for #5 and Kanter and another of the young assets. That would REALLY shake the tree.

At any rate, I would make a deal with Sacramento of Nene for Jason Thompson, Jason Terry, and #8. Some of the Sac fans on RealGM were interested in it. Then I would trade Webster to New Orleans for cap space. Then I'd sign Ariza and Gortat. Then I'd probably try and move up from 8 to get Noah Vonleh. My next choice after him would be Doug McDermott, and then after him would be Aaron Gordon.

PG: Wall, Miller

SG: Beal, JET

SF: Ariza, Porter

PF: X, #8 pick

C: Gortat, Thompson

For the starting PF, I was thinking Patrick Patterson. But I guess you could go Booker or even start Thompson. And McDermott might actually be able to play big minutes as a rookie if he's the pick.

Wall missed out on the All-NBA teams

He should have made it over both Lillard and Dragic. He should have been the third-teamer, or even the second teamer over Tony Parker.

But right now, the award has some credibility issues. Harden as a first team all NBA player does that. And CP3 as the first teamer after missing 20 games doesn't look great either. Anthony Davis, Dirk, and Duncan all should have been All NBA players too. Al Jefferson shouldn't have made it over any of those three. And it's debatable if Dwight should have. Neither he or Dwight should have gotten in just by being a center. Or Paul George in as a guard if need be.