Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He had two good years.

I don't know, he only played 50 games in Denver in 06-07. Seems like a stretch to say that was a good year. That'd be like saying DWade or Westbrook had good years this year.

And besides, one or two good years of Iverson and a stretch of games within a single season of Amar'e is basically all Melo has had with another star in his career.

I don't know, he only played 50 games in Denver in 06-07. Seems like a stretch to say that was a good year. That'd be like saying DWade or Westbrook had good years this year.

And besides, one or two good years of Iverson and a stretch of games within a single season of Amar'e is basically all Melo has had with another star in his career.

At least a couple of Melo's teams in Denver were pretty darn good. Plus, what about this year with Melo? I'm not saying he played with stars, but if LeBron and Melo switch places, the knicks are a top 4 see and not missing the places in a really weak conference.

Edited by Hersh

Yeah, Allen Iverson sucks.

Allen Iverson is pretty much the worst kind of player you can pair with Melo or any other superstar.

Melo has never played with an elite PG or elite big man the way other dominant wing players like Kobe, Bron and KD have.

Melo with Wall is an insanely efficient offense. I know people are gonna hate on Melo, but ask most Knicks fans. Melo plays hard every single night.

My argument was never that he had necessary support for a championship, just that making the playoffs in the NBA doesn't mean ****.  Over half the teams make it, that's not an accomplishment.

Melo, with an aged Chauncey Billups won back-to-back divisions and lost 4-2 against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals in 2009.  He averaged 30 points a game…pretty good stuff.  If DC can get him, you're talking about 50 wins a year + Wall/Beal/Gortat for as long as you can keep it together.  Ariza is gonna command $10 mil a year, so Melo at $18 mil a year with his gold medals and his locker-room clutchiness doesn't sound that bad…In fact, I struggle to recall a time when a player as great as Melo was so available.

We should go all in.

Edited by mboyd784
  • Like 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--sam-mitchell-emerges-as-minnesota-candidate-with-kevin-love-s-future-undecided-074004019-nba.html

Sources: Sam Mitchell emerges as Minnesota candidate with Kevin Love's future undecided

As the Minnesota Timberwolves consider the future of All-Star forward Kevin Love, Sam Mitchell has emerged as a serious candidate for the franchise's head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Mitchell left a good impression with Wolves president Flip Saunders in a recent meeting and has moved himself into consideration for the job, league sources said.

Beyond the coaching search, the Wolves are under pressure to start considering trade scenarios for Love, who's anxious to exercise his Early Termination Option

(ETO) in the summer of 2015 and leave as a free agent, league sources said.

"For the first time, [saunders] sounds like looking at deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports.

The Boston CelticsGolden State WarriorsLos Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns are among many teams determined to make hard runs at trades for Love, league sources said. Boston and Los Angeles plan to make high-lottery picks in the 2014 NBA Draft available in offers for Love, sources said.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

If the lakers lose their minds and trade their pick this year for Love (plus other stuff) the Wizards have nothing that can too that. They could have a top 5 pick this year.

Would not trade beal who is emerging as a 20+Ppg scorer on a rookie contract for Kevin love.

Agreed. Best we could do is Nene, Porter, and a 2015 first round pick. Not a very exciting package. Edited by Destino

If Love would sign an extension, I would offer Wall straight up for him immediately. I don't think Wall will ever become a good shooter so I would keep Beal.

Edited by Hersh

If Love would sign an extension, I would offer Wall straight up for him immediately. I don't think Wall will ever become a good shooter so I would keep Beal.

There's a lot more to the game than shooting. Wall can't shoot, but he's become a pretty good defender who should make a few defensive 1st teams in the future. He's also proven to be pretty damn good at making those around him better. If trade Wall, who's going to run point? Old man Miller? 

You don't trade Wall for Love. You bring Love to play with Wall.

• Like 2

There's a lot more to the game than shooting. Wall can't shoot, but he's become a pretty good defender who should make a few defensive 1st teams in the future. He's also proven to be pretty damn good at making those around him better. If trade Wall, who's going to run point? Old man Miller? 

You don't trade Wall for Love. You bring Love to play with Wall.

That's great and how many poor shooting PGs have ever been the leaders of teams that won NBA championships? I don't consider Rondo the leader of the Celtics when they have Pierce, Garnett and Allen there as well.

If we are talking about getting Kevin Love here, there are only two assets that could get the deal done: Beal or Wall. Give me Beal all day love running PnRs with Love. I'll find servicable PGs or I'll even go after Rondo.

The league is full of good point guards and starving for shooting guards. I haven't thought this through but I think more teams have a good point guard than those that don't. I could be wrong. If you have to trade Wall or Beal, I think you trade Wall. Beal's flirting with an efficient 20ppg in year two, and unlike Wall he shined in the playoffs.

Having said that I don't think I'd trade either of them for Love. People kill Melo for not winning or playing defense... Well Kevin Love is worse in both categories.

The league is full of good point guards and starving for shooting guards. I haven't thought this through but I think more teams have a good point guard than those that don't. I could be wrong. If you have to trade Wall or Beal, I think you trade Wall. Beal's flirting with an efficient 20ppg in year two, and unlike Wall he shined in the playoffs.

Having said that I don't think I'd trade either of them for Love. People kill Melo for not winning or playing defense... Well Kevin Love is worse in both categories.

Good point about people like me killing Melo for not winning even though Love has been worse. I do think though that Love has played on worse teams than Melo (not an excuse for his bad defense) but I think he would own every big man in the Eastern Conference. In fact, the Wiz front line would have the potential to dominate.

Melo, with an aged Chauncey Billups won back-to-back divisions and lost 4-2 against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals in 2009.  He averaged 30 points a game…pretty good stuff.  If DC can get him, you're talking about 50 wins a year + Wall/Beal/Gortat for as long as you can keep it together.  Ariza is gonna command $10 mil a year, so Melo at $18 mil a year with his gold medals and his locker-room clutchiness doesn't sound that bad…In fact, I struggle to recall a time when a player as great as Melo was so available.

We should go all in.

Melo would be eligible for more than 18 per year. He's got over 10 years of veterancy, he can command the full max deal. He might take less to play for a better team, but 18 is low. Year 1 of a full max is 22.12 million if that cap is at 63.2 million.

I don't know, but I don't think Ariza is going to get 10 million a year either. He'd have to find a team with cap room to get more than full MLE money. 10 million is a lot. His choices are going to be limited when you know he's going to want to play with a PG and/or play in California. Maybe Dallas is a competitor, but the list is going to be short. I think he'll deal with us.

Also, to get in the ballpark for Melo, we'd have to let Gortat walk. Nene would be our only big in that case.

If there were a way to get Melo and keep Gortat, I'd be more open to the move. But I can't think of a way.

It should also be noted that is the team wants Durant, or any of the big free agents after next season, they need to trade Nene for an expiring contract before next season.

There is no cap flexibility with him eating 13 million.

If it were between trading Wall or Beal, you don't trade Wall because, for one thing, he's better player than Beal and will probably always be better.

But the fact that the league has so many good PGs means you have to have one. PG trounces SG in position value. You can't run chopped liver at PG. Not unless you've got LeBron. You can have just a guy at SG and be alright. You'll get killed at PG every night if you've got a crap one.

But we shouldn't trade either for Love. I definitely wouldn't. I'd go after Love in free agency but I wouldn't deal for him. Wall + Love isn't a contender IMO. Beal + Love isn't either. Wall + Beal + Love is.

You're right about Love vis a vis Melo too.

It should also be noted that is the team wants Durant, or any of the big free agents after next season, they need to trade Nene for an expiring contract before next season.

There is no cap flexibility with him eating 13 million.

Yep. But that won't be easy to do. And if you're talking about having to package Nene with an asset like Porter or draft picks just to get an expiring, that's a big risk to be taking for the small chance of Durant.

The Wiz should pull a Miami heat and clear all sorts of cap space. Deal Porter for a second round pick. Same with Webster. Sign Melo at $15 million per and trade Beal+Nene for Love. That's $45 million for Wall, Melo and Love and leaves $18 million to fill out the roster.

I'm mostly kidding cause it's going to be awhile until the off season gets going.

The Wiz should pull a Miami heat and clear all sorts of cap space. Deal Porter for a second round pick. Same with Webster. Sign Melo at $15 million per and trade Beal+Nene for Love. That's $45 million for Wall, Melo and Love and leaves $18 million to fill out the roster.

I'm mostly kidding cause it's going to be awhile until the off season gets going.

Stop trading Beal for players that he's going to be better than in a year or two.