Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Melo has been playing the 4 mostly the past 2 years or so, and he has been prolific at it. As long as he isnt pulling iso's every posession, he would be great here. People forget that he is usually that most dangerous of our Olympic team. Hits from anywhere on the court. Would gladly pass on resigning Gortat if it meant we could pick Melo up. Especially if it meant we keep him from Chicago or any other East team.

We need someone who can actually defend though.

Perimeter defenders are really not that necessary to defensive success now that teams can play zone and big men are allowed 'verticality'. 

Beefing up perimeter scoring should be the key priority for this team headed into the future. The current lineup just cannot score consistently in half court sets. It won't be able to unless Wall has a second ball handler who can help him break down defenses.

Signing Melo would mean the team would be about a million under the cap with Wall, Beal, Melo, Nene, Webster, and Porter. With no first round pick, I would love to know how the roster gets filled out with players to create a quality bench.

Just finished watching the second half...

I'm sick of the John Wall full acceleration drive into traffic and throw up nonsense. He also can't shoot. Matter fact no one could shoot. I love Beal but he missed some wide open shots.

The overall effort was weak. Ariza seems so nonchalant.

Nene is trash. His defense is trash. We were giving West 6 feet on those pick and pops.

I don't know who is gonna be a free agent. From what I've seen this year you gotta bring Gortat back because he cares and plays with energy.

• Like 1

Nene has to be unloaded to anyone who will take him.

It's gonna be tough to do. You either have to take back someone's trash with a longer contract or you have to give up the 2016 first round pick. I think the team is gonna have to ride out another year of Nene and then his expiring contract becomes an asset.

Good season. Happy overall, disappointing ending since Indiana was ripe for the beating. It's not our turn yet though. You gotta lose in the playoffs, sometimes lose a lot, before you can really win.

The big issue with this team is the over reliance on the jumper. When we don't hit them we really struggle. We really need to work to get better shots. Might be a coaching issue, I don't think Wittman is very imaginative. I don't see our guys getting into the paint as easily as other teams do despite the fact that we're just as talented if not more so, especially in the backcourt.

I think Ariza has proven why he has to go. He's a nice player but ultimately a role player. On a championship team he is at best your 4th-5th best player, we'd be paying him like he's 2nd-3rd. I think Porter will eventually be at least as good for a fraction of the cost if not better.

I'm fine with bringing Gortat back. He's a good Center. Not great, but you can win with good if the supporting cast is good enough, and it's hard enough finding good Centers.

Nene is just a frustrating player. He's got the talent and the skill but he's too inconsistent and worse, injury prone. I don't think we can unload him, but I'd consider the possibility.

The goal next year has to be 50 wins. I think a core of Wall/Beal/Gortat can do it. I expect Porter to contribute somewhat, and hopefully we can bolster the bench with an energizing scorer. Webster was supposed to be that guy but he's been a dog lately, and I don't think you can rely on the AARP squad again.

• Like 3

Signing Melo would mean the team would be about a million under the cap with Wall, Beal, Melo, Nene, Webster, and Porter. With no first round pick, I would love to know how the roster gets filled out with players to create a quality bench.

Turd will have to pay the luxury tax and sign vet min depth (Gooden, Booker) and use our biannual exceptions. That's all you really need if you are building a top heavy team. Obviously we're not the Heat, but it beats the alternative, which is investing the same money in mediocre players.

I am sure Melo can't wait to be overpaid by the WizKids. 

Melo won't be overpaid. That money will be better invested than overpaying for Ariza and Gortat. It's not like your boys Turd and Ernie have a problem with bad contracts anyways.

Edited by No Excuses

Great season, guys!  This team is ahead of schedule and looks for all the world like a unit that can rip off a 7-8 year playoff streak…and I will take my chances with that!  But...

Ariza just has to go.  He is frighteningly inept with the ball in his hands, overrated and slow on defense (and getting slower) and stupidly inconsistent offensively.  I mean, this team made him this year…Wall/Beal driving and spacing, Nene/Gortat pounding the lane…nobody in the league got more wide open 3-balls than Ariza this year.  Put a below average cast around Ariza and that dude can't get you a 5 ppg average.  If Otto can live up to his draft status, this is a 50 win team next year…maybe even a 1 or 2 seed.

Go Wiz!!!!

Still feels like I have to attend a funeral today. What a downer. I know after the last series there was some Randy love. I even admitted I was wrong about how bad he was.

I will say this......the is room to upgrade at coach. Doesn't mean Randy is BAD. Just means I think we saw his ceiling as leader/teacher/motivator at head coach.

Also....half joking about this...but not really. They do play better when they aren't wearing a jersey that says "Wizards" on it.

Perimeter defenders are really not that necessary to defensive success now that teams can play zone and big men are allowed 'verticality'.

Tell that to Houston.

I'm against bringing Melo here because I don't think he's a good fit. His age, his cost, his personality, and his style of play turn me off.

#1 - I don't think he'd be willing to accept that this is Wall's team.

#2 - He stops the ball too much and our offense thrives only when the ball is moving and guys are playing unselfish.

#3 - He'd force us to let Gortat walk just to get in the ball park, so signing him would create big holes. We were successful as we were because of our inside-out roster balance.

If we're looking for a high dollar FA, it needs to be a true big man or Kevin Durant.

Nene has to be unloaded to anyone who will take him.

You don't give him away for nothing or take on a bad contract in return. But yeah, we should start looking to move him.

He's good. And we're very reliant on him. And that's the issue, we're too reliant on an unreliable player. His effectiveness this series just fell into the tank after he reinjured his knee. He kept playing, but he didn't play well. And it really culminated in an awful game six where David West ended up killing us.

We aren't getting 13 million dollars worth of production out of him when we can only expect 55-60 games a season from him. It's an issue that our (now) second highest paid player doesn't justify his money over the course of the whole season. And though he's effective in the postseason, a debilitating injury is just waiting to happen.

I would swallow my medicine and let Ariza walk, sign Pat Patterson with that money, sign Gortat, and start looking to move Nene.

No high priced FA this offseason. You keep Gortat. If you want a big name, you wait till a Durant run is possible (though unlikely).

These guys need to keep playing together and some better teachers. But they got a taste of it.

As far as Nene. Unless you get something good for him. You keep him one last year. His teammates like him. If anything, you work with him to find new ways to protect his body. I don't know. Yoga.....acupuncture....something.

Couldn't be prouder of this team.  We have a bright future, fellas.  I cautiously optimistic that the right moves will be made this offseason.  I think EVERYONE knows what's on the line.  Do we become content with being the "new" Atlanta Hawks, or do we strive for greatness?  I think it's the latter.  Why?  Just look at the faces of Wall/Beal last night.  As glad as I am that they took their lumps in their first playoff experience, they now know what it takes in the postseason to gut it through these tough games.  Ultimately Indy's resolve and experience was the deciding factor in this series.  Our team crumbled in the stretch due to their inexperience.  I'm sure of it.  We'll be much better going forward and this is just a small step in the growth of not only our two star players, but the franchise as well.  We'll be good. 

Oh...HELL NO to bringing in Melo.  SM touched on a few points as to why he thinks it's a bad idea, and I'd have to agree. 

Agree with all that said they couldn't be prouder of OUR Washington Wizards. 

First 2nd round playoff victories since 1982!  That's major progress.  The future for DC pro basketball is bright my friends.   

I was at the game last night. Best environment I have ever been at a Verizon Center game, even though it did not sell out.

Wizards came out flat but turned it on that 3rd quarter, which surprised us. WHen Beal hit the three, we all thought that was it and game 7 would happen. Alas it didnt. The Pacers are an experienced team and the Beal and Wall are not.

I will say this though, Nene is washed. He had no lift at all. I know he shot well, but it was all jumpers. His defense on West was pretty bad too. He has David West by about 3 inches and 20 lbs and never tried to back him down.

Wall needs to work on that jumper, but I was happy when he said eff what Wittman wanted and just got to the basket. Should have done that more.

Beal's handles were bad last night too.

BUt at the end of the day, I am glad I was there and happy at the season we had. Great run and will hopefully lay the foundation for the future.

• Like 1