Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Everyone still feel the way they did a couple days ago? I was confident we'd win the series in 6 or 7 yesterday, but after last night I'm not. I think we'll win game 6 and lose game 7. But I can even see us coming out flat and losing game 6 at home now, yesterday I didn't even think it was possible we'd lose game 6. How 1 game changes everything. I need a break from sports lol.

Boston just plays lights out at home and we have no answer for it.  You know its rough when Avery Bradley has 25 points at halftime.  When we're hot, they can't beat us, when they're hot, we can't beat them.  Something has gotta give.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Last night was a pathetic effort from all parties, but I expect the gang to show back up for game 6.

What I don't trust is Scott Brooks to win a duel with Stevens two times in a row.

We already won two games in a row at home, so not sure what you're talking about here.

I have no confidence the Wiz can go into Boston and win a game 7.  And frankly, they've inspired no confidence they can rise to the occasion and not get elimination caught in their throats in game 6 and find a way to lose.  

If the Caps have taught anything, it's that you have to make a team prove it first before you start giving them benefit of the doubt.  Simply looking goid at times or momentum isn't enough.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

I mostly watched the Caps game, but did Boston win by shooting multiple uncontested threes again? If so, forget that. The Wiz dominated the last game because they actually played defense. If they do that then they shouldn't lose to Boston. We'll see I guess.

The media take is that Boston role players stepped up.  The right take, imo, is that the Wizards played poorly from the start.  Boston was leaking out on missed wizard shots, and the Wizards were all watching the offensive board.  The corners never raced back, and the players who were moving their feet were jogging.  Those are high school level mental mistakes and effort, not what you'd expect to see a professional team make for most of a quarter in the playoffs.  That's how the Celtics raced ahead to that big lead.

Horford played well, but the other Boston role players hit mostly uncontested shots (often at the rim) because the Wizards were a hot mess defensively all game.  This was after we gave them a free quarter of transition baskets.  

If that wasn't bad enough, Wall didn't show up on either end.  No Wall, no offense because Beal can't seem to dribble the ball against the Celtics.  Wall had four assists, which for him is nothing, and largely looked uninterested in pushing the pace or attacking the Celtic defense in the half court.  

The wizards would would have lost to the Nets playing the way they did last night.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

At home.

They are required to win two games in a row with only 1 being at home.  I actually clarified that at first and then edited it because it didn't look right.

That's the thing, I don't feel they are getting outcoached in Boston, Wizards are getting outhustled.  We've brought down IT's scoring output, but when guys like Horford are making most of their threes, there's only so much you can do about that.  Also, Wall was making a habit of driving for fouls instead of driving for baskets in game 5.  That doesn't work in the playoffs, he should know that by now.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the thing, I don't feel they are getting outcoached in Boston, Wizards are getting outhustled. 

I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to the hustle but Brooks was also less than impressive last night both situational and with his rotations.  To win in Boston, we will need everything in our favor from strategy to execution. 

Wall and Beal missing those shots at the end of he 2nd game is gonna be one of the biggest difference in this series, probably THE deciding factor. One of those shots drop, we take the series. The rest of the games have been blowouts.

Edited by SuperBash
  • Like 4

No matter what happens in game 7, we need to get there.  This year was never going to our year barring freakish injuries.  But we do need to advance and get battle tested at higher stages.

Edited by bearrock

22 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the thing, I don't feel they are getting outcoached in Boston, Wizards are getting outhustled.  We've brought down IT's scoring output, but when guys like Horford are making most of their threes, there's only so much you can do about that.  Also, Wall was making a habit of driving for fouls instead of driving for baskets in game 5.  That doesn't work in the playoffs, he should know that by now.

Top to bottom, Boston is just the better team and play better basketball. 

Even if we could play consistent defense, Boston isn't just sitting there wide open all day, they're able to execute plays. 

e.g.

Look at each play, double high screen, high pick and roll,   especially at 43 seconds, whatever that play is. You can tell, they can execute when called upon, and they fire that rock around the perimeter like its practice. 

We can run a pick and roll too... but you can easily take that away from us. Or Beal can get hot, but you can guard him off the ball, easily get him out of rhythm. We can't run an offense to get Beal nice looks in rhythm. (off a screen, off a flare, little curl type shots, etc) 

This is basketball though, and the Wiz can put the best 5 guys on the floor at any given time, which gives us a chance even against the Lebronaliers. Really want to see us play CLE; hope we can stretch this to 7.