Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I thought this may have been happening when KD was talking Oubre up on Instagram during the draft, and Ernie started wheeling and dealing to get him on the roster in less than an hour. But I really don't think I can stomach KD pulling a Lebron and being Ernie's puppeteer, even if it bring him here. 

I won't lie.  I could.  LOLOLOL

• Like 2

You know, the irony in it all is that I agreed with many of the moves that EG has made this year. Morris has been huge, and I advocated for him long before it was official. Anderson should have been a great pickup, and i wouldnt be upset if he were brought back on a cheaper deal next year. Dudley, played well for far longer than we expected. In fact, going forward next year, our starting lineup looks quite nice.

But it is Ernie's fault that we went into the season with Gooden/Humphries/Nene/Webster/Dudley/Anderson/Beal : all either extremely injury-prone and or coming off major surgery. Our backup plan at three positions has been Temple. It is his fault that we basically went into this season with a one-and-done mantra for many of the players, and it is his fault that Randy is still employed.

• Like 1

It's interesting. Scott and Ernie both seem to favor (this year) one year contracts. The difference though is a very big one. Scott's one year contracts are... Here's a contract. Prove yourself and I'll reward you. You will be a part of what we're building. We saw that to an extent with Blackmon and Foster. What Grunfield did was say... here's a one year contract... no matter what you do here you will not be wanted next year because we have our eyes set on a real prize.

One motivates and team builds. The other motivates (the Wiz players are auditioning for their next contract, after all) just for the other team.

Both want to build off a drafted corp, I guess and the Wiz with Wall, Beal, Oubre, and Porter have a nice little young nucleus. Problem is, they have a coach who hates playing youngsters more than Joe Gibbs did and so you wind up relying on the dispirited unwanted one and doners.

• Like 1

It's interesting. Scott and Ernie both seem to favor (this year) one year contracts. The difference though is a very big one. Scott's one year contracts are... Here's a contract. Prove yourself and I'll reward you. You will be a part of what we're building. We saw that to an extent with Blackmon and Foster. What Grunfield did was say... here's a one year contract... no matter what you do here you will not be wanted next year because we have our eyes set on a real prize.

One motivates and team builds. The other motivates (the Wiz players are auditioning for their next contract, after all) just for the other team.

Both want to build off a drafted corp, I guess and the Wiz with Wall, Beal, Oubre, and Porter have a nice little young nucleus. Problem is, they have a coach who hates playing youngsters more than Joe Gibbs did and so you wind up relying on the dispirited unwanted one and doners.

Scott has a vision about the team he wants to build and cultivate

Ernie has a vision of getting another year on his contract

Edited by StillUnknown

Reading a freaking Forbes article about the Sixers and the "process" going forward got me thinking: what franchises are more irrelevant than us? I don't mean worse. Not worse currently or historically. I mean irrelevant. Like they don't matter in any way. Just off the top of my head, Sacramento and...? And hell, Sacramento might be more relevant. At least their **** show with Karl is kind of interesting. And their owner is psychotic.

Our Ernie **** show is just whatever and the only thing Ted has going on are his trex arms. Our suck is not only embarrassing and depressing, it's ****ing boring.

Phoenix maybe?

I can't get over how much I've come to hate and despise this team. All the **** Bullets and Wizards teams I've seen, I thought I was immune to these type of feelings. That nothing could phase me at this point. Blah.

I'll be back when...SOMETHING happens. (And no Ted, just firing Randy isn't enough of a SOMETHING. I mean yawn.)

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 1

Hey now, the Bullets may be many things of the past decade. Heart breakers, disappointing, laughing stocks, embarrassing, young guns, cardiac kids, swag allstars, named the wizards..... But they have never been boring.

Anyways... there is a slim hope for the playoffs, and ive sat through much, much worse. I watched the swinging gate alone in a sports bar in NY. I can handle anything.

• Like 1

Thankfully I don't live and breath (like some of you) with the Wizards, the way I do with the Caps and Skins, but the real ball breaker in this is that Grunfeld will get to name another coach.. I could stomach a final year of his bumbling the roster and draft picks, but being stuck with another crap coach for 3+ years will be a hard swallow..

Ted is just a **** businessman who's never had the balls to fire anyone.. He must of filled up on liquid courage before he finally let McPhee go.. Wizards seem to be in a similar spot. Maybe he'll get drunk again and surprise everyone? :wacko:

I watched the swinging gate alone in a sports bar in NY. I can handle anything.

God help this true DC sports fan. 

Whether he has one year on his contract or not if Ted had a set of balls he would fire the GM and the head coach and reset this ****ing thing. 

There is NO reason a John Wall lead team in the East shouldn't be in the playoffs.   

Gms do a lot more than just picking the players. They're responsible for creating the organizational culture.

Our team has taken on Ernie's personality of lazy underachievement. It always has been thus, no matter what the names on the back of the jerseys read.

I keep harping on gungate, but it's because I think it's emblematic of Ernie's culture. Something like that would never happen in a competent organization. And no GM should have been able to survive that level of collapse.

What's disappointing about Ted was that he was supposed to be this next level thinker on par with the guys who own Golden State, Houston, and LA Clippers. Instead he's just another Abe Pollin 2.0, stuck in old guard thinking and overly loyal to dinosaurs.

• Like 2

How GMEG is still employed is beyond me after all these years as a mediocre / miserable franchise. He has done NOTHING to deserve his tenure. It's an embarrassment. Sorry for those of you who live and die by the Wiz. We welcome you onto the Capitals bandwagon for this playoff run if you want to join. 

Does Ted realize this is the NBA, getting to round 2 isn't that big of a deal unless maybe you're Philadelphia.

Gms do a lot more than just picking the players. They're responsible for creating the organizational culture.

Our team has taken on Ernie's personality of lazy underachievement. It always has been thus, no matter what the names on the back of the jerseys read.

I keep harping on gungate, but it's because I think it's emblematic of Ernie's culture. Something like that would never happen in a competent organization. And no GM should have been able to survive that level of collapse.

Organizing two complete rebuilds with nothing to show for has to be a pro sports first. One could argue that there were really three rebuilds. First with the Arenas/Butler/Jamison trio. Then Wall, Blatche and the dumbasses. Then Wall/Beal and the vets. None of these squads had any tangible success beyond a few first round wins.

He will now undertake the 4th major roster turnover after contracts expire this year and the cap expands. This is straight up insanity. I can't imagine another GM with such awful results has survived this long.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Longest Tenured Basketball Executives in the NBA

1.Pat Riley, Heat: September 1995

2.Mitch Kupchak, Lakers: August 2000

3.R.C. Buford, Spurs: July 2002

4.Danny Ainge, Celtics: May 2003

5.Ernie Grunfeld, Wizards: June 2003

Edited by Rocky21

Organizing two complete rebuilds with nothing to show for has to be a pro sports first. One could argue that there were really three rebuilds. First with the Arenas/Butler/Jamison trio. Then Wall, Blatche and the dumbasses. Then Wall/Beal and the vets. None of these squads had any tangible success beyond a few first round wins.

He will now undertake the 4th major roster turnover after contracts expire this year and the cap expands. This is straight up insanity. I can't imagine another GM with such awful results has survived this long.

Yep. He's an Arsonist that's also allowed to play Fireman. Its ridiculous.