Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boardwalk Empire

Heisenberg

Daaaaamn what an ending. Arguably a bad move to kill off a very popular character, I understand the meaning and resentment but if you were going to carry that in general why wouldn't you go off on everyone who turned on you (Eli, Jimmy, all those who didn't show up to Nucky's treasurers office when he called his emergency meeting after he found out people were plotting against him). Strange move by the writers and I'm curious as to whom they'll give us a look inside to collect more followers of a character other than Nucky's since his is so evil.

I personally still love the show and will tune in again next season but I'll miss Jimmy

Pissed that they killed off Jimmy - however, I could see it coming considering he had been in such a downward spiral lately.

Michael Pitt deserves some really good work from this, he was amazing on this show.

Pissed that they killed off Jimmy - however, I could see it coming considering he had been in such a downward spiral lately.

Michael Pitt deserves some really good work from this, he was amazing on this show.

I agree 100% he was amazing because I didn't realize really how much I liked him until they knocked him out of the show. Again, he'll be missed but I trust the writers to take us on another fun trip for season 3. I feel bad for those who had him as their "favorite" character but again with him crossing Nucky, it was always in the cards. A look back on the finale was too cool when you put it all together, he wanted to make his wrongs as right as they could be and he knew at the end by coming unarmed that he was ready to die and was okay with it. What an honorable way to go out on a show, Pitt was awesome all the way to the end. I'm curious as to what he'll do next cause he just gained me as a fan of his work and his potential.

Hmm,, wonder what happens to half-face now? he's an interesting character, and the bit about his war experience as a sniper this week could be a very interesting piece of foreshadowing.

If there's anything i'm disappointed in it's Jimmy didn't kill his mother before Nucky shot him.

~Bang

Hmm,, wonder what happens to half-face now? he's an interesting character, and the bit about his war experience as a sniper this week could be a very interesting piece of foreshadowing.

If there's anything i'm disappointed in it's Jimmy didn't kill his mother before Nucky shot him.

~Bang

I kinda have to agree with you on Jimmy not killing his mother. Thought he was was going to when he killed the Commodore. I had a different thing in mind though for the end. I thought Nucky was going to let Jimmy and Horvitz fight it out then side with the winner. Good ending though.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/11/boardwalk-empire-finale/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/12/michael-pitt/

Some pretty good interviews that give insight on the decision to kill him off as well as the direction the show is heading - as worried as I was once I realized Jimmy was being killed off, it sounds like the show might only get better.

I knew Jimmy was getting iced when his son was wearing his dog tags but I didn't wanna believe it. Plus he was suicidal. Disappointing since Jimmy added so much. But there's also a ten-way tie for best character on this show. This is the greatest show I've ever seen.

Yeah, I knew he was gone as soon as they showed the scene with Nucky calling Rothstein ("flip a coin, you'll know who you want gone when the coin is in the air") and then as soon as the phone rang for Jimmy. This reminds me of when they killed of Stringer Bell in The Wire - shocking, but necessary for the story.

Can't wait for next season.

I knew Jimmy was getting iced when his son was wearing his dog tags but I didn't wanna believe it. Plus he was suicidal. Disappointing since Jimmy added so much. But there's also a ten-way tie for best character on this show. This is the greatest show I've ever seen.

Yeah, and him tearing up the will and making a note that it all goes to his son upon his (JImmy's) death.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/11/boardwalk-empire-finale/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/12/michael-pitt/

Some pretty good interviews that give insight on the decision to kill him off as well as the direction the show is heading - as worried as I was once I realized Jimmy was being killed off, it sounds like the show might only get better.

Perhaps the most interesting character is Van Alden. We've all seen he's corrupt, but the past few episodes have made it clear he's going to be a big player in some mafia/bootlegging outfit. Last night's episode made it pretty clear that Van Alden (who moved to Chicago) is going to end up as an enforcer for Capone.

Yeah, I knew he was gone as soon as they showed the scene with Nucky calling Rothstein ("flip a coin, you'll know who you want gone when the coin is in the air") and then as soon as the phone rang for Jimmy. This reminds me of when they killed of Stringer Bell in The Wire - shocking, but necessary for the story.

Can't wait for next season.

Except Stringer Bell was a complete evil douchebag....and Jimmy struck me as one of the few characters in this show with a little morality.

Seconded on the Jimmy should've killed his mother. This show is great, but I absolutely loathe that *****.

I feel so bad for half face, probably my favorite character lol....

Except Stringer Bell was a complete evil douchebag....and Jimmy struck me as one of the few characters in this show with a little morality.

Seconded on the Jimmy should've killed his mother. This show is great, but I absolutely loathe that *****.

I feel so bad for half face, probably my favorite character lol....

I think the Stringer character was quite a bit more complex than you paint him here.

The same guy that was taking Econ classes at the local colleges and trying to find a way into the "legitimate" business world.

I thought Stringer had just as many shades of gray as Jimmy.

I think the Stringer character was quite a bit more complex than you paint him here.

The same guy that was taking Econ classes at the local colleges and trying to find a way into the "legitimate" business world.

I thought Stringer had just as many shades of gray as Jimmy.

He was basically trying to steal money legally. I suppose we just see the current British economic system differently.

His trying to get an education was not for the benefit of anyone but himself. I could tell they were trying to make him more likable, but I just didn't buy it.

I really disliked the character though, so I'm probably biased. Big Omar fan. :P

On a side note, It was pretty odd seeing that actor in the Office.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 10:45 AM ----------

Nucky is definitely cold blooded but my favorite character that most people sleep on is... Agent Van Alden. Dude is the most complex character on the show imo. The battle between his demons and angels is like nothing i have ever seen on a television show before.

He's plain nuts, imo. To the point where he almost doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast. Most are motivated by money and power, Van Alden.....I'm not so sure what this guy is after.

Just a crazy **** lol

Yeah, Van Alden is definitely a weird guy LOL.

Twoface is my favorite character by far. That scene with him in the woods about to off himself...only to be saved by the dog. I loved it. I really feel for the guy and how badly he wants to be normal. he keeps that scrapbook of all the pictures of nuclear families...it's sad.

One of my favorite shows as well.

I have not read all 8 pages of this thread, but I knew Jimmy was getting killed because of all the characters portrayed, he isnt a real person.

Based on true events, I would suspect the story to follow history and focus on the Luciano/Lansky rise to power and maybe something with Capone.

While Jimmy was an excellent character, he is one of the ones made up, where Nucky, and others like Luciano, Lansky, Capone, Rothstien are all real.

The story has to follow history, and Jimmy isnt in it.

This was a show that started out interesting (and beautiful to look at) but only slightly entertaining. It is now maybe the best show on tv. I'm not sure I've ever seen a better single episode of a television show than that season finale.

This may sound dumb, but Jimmy's demise made me think of George Lucas. Lucas said that the prequels would make the entire Star Wars saga become about the fall and redemption of Darth Vader. And he failed at that.

The last two episodes made the first two seasons be almost completely about Jimmy's arc. It made Nucky the secondary character in the show. But it also launched Nucky into the lead for next year. He's now "earned" the lead in a way.

It's really fascinating how they not only rebooted the show in a way but made the first season better through these last few episodes.

My complaint about the first two years was about how passive Nucky was. Now, it's obvious that we have just been building up to the point where he goes from wannabe gangster to full-fledged crime boss. And it all makes sense.

Jimmy seemed adrift for much of season one. Now, he's one of the great tragic figures in tv history.

Gillian went from annoyance to a monster on the scale of Livia Soprano.

One of my complaints with this season was that there were too many characters and too many subplots. And they apparently wiped out half the cast.

I was defintely interested in watching season two. I am downright excited for season three now.

The idea of a competely deranged Richard looking to avenge the deaths of the only two people who cared about him and egged on by a completely out of control Gillian.

Nucky's going to **** when he finds out all of his highway land was donated to the church.

Very strange what she's doing. If she was going to just screw him over, why marry him? Maybe just to get herself out of having to be on a witness stand?

Doesn't she think that he's capable of killing her over that much money?

She knows what he is,, he killed her husband, swooped in and replaced him in his family's life. The worst. He stole the man's life and family, Why wouldnt he just steal Teddy from her to make a new Jimmy?

I'm overthinking, I think.

~Bang

Re: Margaret.

Keep in mind this is an Irish Catholic who was born in the 1890s or thereabouts. She is smart. She is wiley. She is also a devout believer in a God who will punish her for her sins. And she thinks that her daughter has polio because of the sins she (the mother) committed.

I also think that she does love Nucky in a way and that Nucky loves her in his way. And despite her fear of God, she was not going to go back to living in poverty. But she was also not going to let Nucky lie to her about Jimmy and simply get away with it.

Giving away the money cleared all the debts in her mind. She is right with God now. She is even with Nucky. Her conscience is clean, her God has received the penance he demanded, and Nucky has received some punishment for his many many sins. She is back at zero and can live in a relationship with Nucky now where they will never be honest with each other, but everyone knows where everyone stands.

And she knows that she is the one person in the world that Nucky will never hurt. He does love her and - more importantly - loves the kind of life she can offer him. I think he was "acting" with her daughter in the yard, but - at the same time - I think he does love those kids. He will certainly be a better father and provider than her drunken, violent husband. It's a good deal for her. She only had to sell her soul, which eventually felt like too high a price. So, she bought it back with the land.

Their relationship is going to be fascinating next year. Her betrayal will hang over everything - but no more than his lying about....well....everything.

I actually think Nucky the wheeler-dealer will ultimately have a grudging respect for what she did. If the choice was the electric chair or his land deal, he would have paid the price to live. When he asked her to marry him, he never asked her to set her price. That was his mistake. I think he will ultimately see that - even if he will always resent her.

Archived