Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFGate.com: "He [Jason Campbell] looks frazzled under pressure..."

Boss_Hogg

I watched a bit of JC during the preseason and in week 1 to see how he would perform in a different uniform. He simply can't make things happen on his own. He may not single-handedly lose you too many games, but he sure won't win you any either. He'll find a way to put up respectable numbers, but he's simply not a winner.

That said, I'm not sure if Tom Brady would be effective in Oakland either. It's about as toxic a situation as you could ask for.

From the Raiders msboard

"Titans defensive tackle Jason Jones told Tennessee reporters Campbell was telegraphing on passing plays by leaning back before the snap."

"And Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil said Campbell was holding the ball too long in the pocket."

LOL....didn't some of us bring this up before?

I think it's pretty obvious that players just don't like playing with Jason. The guy lacks any emotion and brings down the intensity of the offense. Just watch the body langauge of the offense when the break the huddle.

He's not a leader.

He's not accurate when throwing downfield.

He says "You know" too many damn times when interviewed.

He's the checkdown king.

He has no pocket awareness.

He never takes chances to allow his playmakers to make plays.

He's terrible when going throuigh his progressions hence the checkdowns.

He just sucks and there's no other way to put it.

Anybody still clinging to hope that Jason will be anything but a mediocre QB is just an idiot.

I really feel sorry for JC, he's a stand up guy, but we all know how the old saying goes, " Nice guys finish last." Hopefully he'll bounce back, but he probably won't.He is now Patrick Ramsey pt. 2

Feel sorry for him? No. If I want to feel sorry for someone it'll be a Chris Simms type player. Starter...freak accident emergency splenectomy...started one game last year and was pulled after 3 series. His first start since the injury in 2006.

Campbell has had more starts and more chances than any average QB I can remember. He deserves to be a backup QB. Not a starter.

thank god this loser jason candle is gone. one of the worst qb in the league , 2nd stringers included.

and people feeling sorry for him....? what?

the guy had a starting job when infact, he was never a starter material, made millions, had more opportunities than any qb ever that sucked so bad and yet, he landed another starting job with the raiders? , al davis cracks me up man. nobody wanted to get this guy and some how al davis bit. whoever made the deal with raiders on redskins staff is a genius.

I respect Campbell as a person. He's a stand up guy, and a professional.

He's just not a very good quaterback, by NFL standards. Anybody who knows football and watches him play can see that. He's just lacking a lot of the abilities needed to make a franchise quarterback. I don't know why this surprises anyone. Go back to his college days, where he was exactly the same quarterback. He never should have been drafted higher than the 4th round.

At this point, given his limited skill set, he'd make a solid backup with a good team that has a good offensive line and running game. He could probably be a serviceable backup in San Diego, Minnesota or Tennessee. He shouldn't be starting anywhere.

(info re: telegraphing snap)

LOL....didn't some of us bring this up before?

Yep. I hate to go back to Brunell, but it really seems as if Jason was an all-too willing sponge for Brunell. The difference being he is a bit less afraid of the pocket than Mark and Mark was more willing to take some chances when he felt healthy.

I have to disagree, as I have for awhile now, that Jason is a "stand-up guy." I think too often, we have very low standards or we have weird expectations of what "class" or humility really is, so that we are fooled into believing someone is humble when they have certain other patterns of behavior or speak a certain way or with deference. I absolutely believe that Jason is a good person. But good does not always mean strong, upstanding or anything of the sort. It simply means benevolent or good-hearted.

I don't think Jason is particularly upstanding. He has really never taken blame like other QBs have done, called himself out, he's not even been strong enough to be a fiery critic of his own team, he just does this kind of subtle passive-aggressive talk around the subject of teammates, and ALWAYS seems satisfied, if not with the outcome, then with what he did. He lacks accountability to himself or his teammates, he looks at how he's been abused and sees himself as a victim but doesn't have the strength or honor to look at himself. He uses "we" when he should say "I" and says "I" when he should say "we."

Let's drop this "classy" nonsense or come to a better understanding of the difference between a person with a kind nature and who treats others with respect in their one-to-one interactions and a person who is truly of outstanding character both in his benevolence but also his strength and accountability and honesty.

I love this line:

At his absolute best, when receivers run precise routes and the halfback duties are manned by a 1,500-yard machine and the offensive linemen all play like Tony Boselli (vintage 1996), Campbell can be an eminently mediocre NFL quarterback.

This quote takes the cake:

Raidersfan#8: Believe it or not, even though Jason Campbell was running for his life out there yesterday because of the Oline, he still managed to put up better stats than Donovan McNabb ... the new QB with the Redskins.

Campbell ended up with a 69.7 QB rating and McNabb had a 63.4 QB rating. McNabb only completed 46.9% of his passes last night. That ain't too good. It also shows you that the Redskins Oline is still pretty bad even though they got a 1st round left tackle and a few other FAs on their Oline.

One thing is for sure ... Campbell would think he died and went to heaven if he ever got an Oline like Peyton Manning, Brees, and Tom Brady have. I bet he'd kill to have a young, 2x Pro Bowl left tackle like Jake Long with the Dolphins. Give the man some protection in the pocket and he can be pretty good.

Give Campbell some reliable receivers who can consistently get open and maybe he won't be as gun-shy about pulling the trigger. Sometimes he plays too conservatively, but do you really want your new Raiders QB to be throwing a bunch of picks?

For the duration of his time in Washington, I was a Campbell apologist. When we got McNabb, my first thought was "WHY?!?!?!?!?!" and my 2nd thought was "Off-season champs again..." But after I settled down and began thinking about it, I realized that this was an awesome move by our front office.

I have always felt that Campbell is kinda like the Poor Man's Donovan McNabb. They put up similar numbers, but the difference is that McNabb WINS!

Campbell compiled all his stats, as usual, in junk time. We had no such junk time. Campbell would have wilted like a leaf in that game, much like his last performance against Dallas. McNabb didn't have his finest hour, but you can't compare the two at all. The difference in leadership and confidence went way beyond the stats.

Campbell compiled all his stats, as usual, in junk time. We had no such junk time. Campbell would have wilted like a leaf in that game, much like his last performance against Dallas. McNabb didn't have his finest hour, but you can't compare the two at all. The difference in leadership and confidence went way beyond the stats.

and even looking at mcnabbs history, he usually struggles against dallas, and rightfully so considering their front 7 is killer. campbell was 1-4 as a skin against dallas, mcnabb is already 1-0. he'd have to lose for the next 2 seasons straight just to match campbells ineptitude.

and even looking at mcnabbs history, he usually struggles against dallas, and rightfully so considering their front 7 is killer. campbell was 1-4 as a skin against dallas, mcnabb is already 1-0. he'd have to lose for the next 2 seasons straight just to match campbells ineptitude.

He missed a couple open guys, though. That makes him Campbell's equal... ;)

1) McNabb won

2) Our "terrible" O-Line only allowed 1 sack by a top 5 front seven defense

3) McNabb helped his O-Line by scrambling, moving around in the pocket and throwing the ball away

4) McNabb did not fumble when he was sacked

5) Suck it Jason!

You know, I defended Jason for a long time. What a difference a real Qb makes...he did not have the greatest statistical game, but wow, the poise, making the key plays, not turning the ball over in crunch time...helping out the O-line with some kind of pocket awareness...what a difference.

Raidersfan#8: Believe it or not, even though Jason Campbell was running for his life out there yesterday because of the Oline, he still managed to put up better stats than Donovan McNabb ... the new QB with the Redskins.

Campbell ended up with a 69.7 QB rating and McNabb had a 63.4 QB rating. McNabb only completed 46.9% of his passes last night. That ain't too good. It also shows you that the Redskins Oline is still pretty bad even though they got a 1st round left tackle and a few other FAs on their Oline.

This is why so many are suckered when it comes to JC. Here's what the stats don't show you in regards to JC. Most of the time, JC's stats are garbage time, like tacking on a meaningless TD and extra yards when your team is already toast. When your team is already done for, that's when JC pads his stats. Also, there are games where JC gets you some yards in the first half, but shuts down in clutch time. QB rating also doesn't calculate fumbles.

#5's poise and leadership on the field should show all JC supporters how AWFUL JC really is.

Like other posters have said, Dallas has invested a lot of $$$$ into that front 7. They may have the best front 7 in all of football. McNabb's elusiveness and quickness is something we've never had in DC. JC would have looked confused and fumbled like usual.

Of course it's never JC's fault, it's always the o-line, offensive system, coaching, hometown crowd boos, etc...

Archived