Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFGate.com: "He [Jason Campbell] looks frazzled under pressure..."

Boss_Hogg

This is why so many are suckered when it comes to JC. Here's what the stats don't show you in regards to JC. Most of the time, JC's stats are garbage time, like tacking on a meaningless TD and extra yards when your team is already toast. When your team is already done for, that's when JC pads his stats. Also, there are games where JC gets you some yards in the first half, but shuts down in clutch time. QB rating also doesn't calculate fumbles.

most of the time JC was only producing when the game was pretty out of reach. but his fan club called that "a comeback". too bad he never actually came back, all he did was pad his stats in garbage time and make people think he was good.

i wanted to rip my radio out this morning listening to the junkies and this guy Ian Eagle (i think thats his name) talking about how campbell is such a great leader and how hes just getting the shaft in oakland. the guy is flat out terrible at QB and people are STILL having a pity party for him, just as i predicted months ago. it will never end for that loser. im glad to see at least some coming around now that we have a real QB in town.

i wanted to rip my radio out this morning listening to the junkies and this guy Ian Eagle (i think thats his name) talking about how campbell is such a great leader and how hes just getting the shaft in oakland. the guy is flat out terrible at QB and people are STILL having a pity party for him, just as i predicted months ago. it will never end for that loser. im glad to see at least some coming around now that we have a real QB in town.

The thing I don't get is what it is about Campbell that fools people into thinking he has limitless potential and is merely in bad situations, seemingly perpetually. Mexicampbell (aka Mark Sanchez) has one bad start and is ripped to shreds. People have enough film on Jason Campbell to determine he's not a winner. The lack of action on the market this Spring is proof enough, regardless whether other teams thought Shanahan liked him. I think the inaction on trading Turdsworth is proof enough that this FO won't deal a player unless they think they can get what they want. They knew no one wanted Campbell and what they got was the best they could get.

The thing I don't get is what it is about Campbell that fools people into thinking he has limitless potential and is merely in bad situations, seemingly perpetually. Mexicampbell (aka Mark Sanchez) has one bad start and is ripped to shreds. People have enough film on Jason Campbell to determine he's not a winner. The lack of action on the market this Spring is proof enough, regardless whether other teams thought Shanahan liked him. I think the inaction on trading Turdsworth is proof enough that this FO won't deal a player unless they think they can get what they want. They knew no one wanted Campbell and what they got was the best they could get.

its because sanchez is a hot dog on a loud mouth team. hes eating hot dogs on the side of the field, being a pretty boy, hes in new york, and he has a jackass of a head coach. hell, he said "going 15-1 is still pretty good" lol. campbell never says anything, hes like the loser in highschool that never gets the girl even tho he tries real hard. everyone knows how pathetic it is, but you feel so sorry you dont wanna rip the dude to shreds, so you say hes nice and trying and "oh gee golly whiz we wish him the best cause hes a real handsome young lad, what a fine catch he'll be for the right girl".

then he decides to take out the town whore....i mean oakland.

its because sanchez is a hot dog on a loud mouth team. hes eating hot dogs on the side of the field, being a pretty boy, hes in new york, and he has a jackass of a head coach. hell, he said "going 15-1 is still pretty good" lol. campbell never says anything, hes like the loser in highschool that never gets the girl even tho he tries real hard. everyone knows how pathetic it is, but you feel so sorry you dont wanna rip the dude to shreds, so you say hes nice and trying and "oh gee golly whiz we wish him the best cause hes a real handsome young lad, what a fine catch he'll be for the right girl".

then he decides to take out the town whore....i mean oakland.

Ahh... the Norv Turner of QB's... ;)

Then they point to Campbell's College success, all one year of it when he happened two have two of the best College RB's of all-time on the same team. All he had to do there was not make too many mistakes, the opposite of what you need in the NFL, especially now. Gibbs was flat-out wrong to think he could play the 21st Century with a QB that would have been "serviceable" in the 1980's.

Looks Familiar:

Bottom WR was wide open.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0Zi7Br_Kk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0Zi7Br_Kk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks Familiar:

Bottom WR was wide open.

Maybe the target receiver ran the wrong route, but, if he didn't, that was a woefully inaccurate pass. Into double coverage, no less.

I thought it was kind of generally accepted principle that, on a corner blitz, your inital read should be the man that was covered at the snap by the blitzing corner. Now, a LB is in that area at the snap, but he goes right to the receiver that Campbell threw to. It's clear that the Titans had this play diagnosed and knew exactly what Campbell would do with the ball. They sent quick pressure, knowing Campbell would not be able to process anything than what was practiced.

Contrast this with a QB who knows what he's doing. First, he would use his cadence to get the defense to show its intentions. He would then alert his blockers, accordingly. After the snap, he would bait the defense by looking at the covered guy, then going to the open receiver. Quickly. It's why people who claim that P. Manning, Brees, et al. couldn't do any better behind a perceived bad line are full of it. These QBs make their lines better because they understand their craft and know how to beat defenses that play games like this. It's why bringing pressure against them is a risky proposition in the first place. With Campbell, bringing heat is just standard operating procedure because he can't beat it. There is little risk in doing so, and a big chance of reward, as evidenced by this play. Blocking for Campbell is detrimental for an OL's career.

Maybe the target receiver ran the wrong route, but, if he didn't, that was a woefully inaccurate pass. Into double coverage, no less.

I thought it was kind of generally accepted principle that, on a corner blitz, your inital read should be the man that was covered at the snap by the blitzing corner. Now, a LB is in that area at the snap, but he goes right to the receiver that Campbell threw to. It's clear that the Titans had this play diagnosed and knew exactly what Campbell would do with the ball. They sent quick pressure, knowing Campbell would not be able to process anything than what was practiced.

Contrast this with a QB who knows what he's doing. First, he would use his cadence to get the defense to show its intentions. He would then alert his blockers, accordingly. After the snap, he would bait the defense by looking at the covered guy, then going to the open receiver. Quickly. It's why people who claim that P. Manning, Brees, et al. couldn't do any better behind a perceived bad line are full of it. These QBs make their lines better because they understand their craft and know how to beat defenses that play games like this. It's why bringing pressure against them is a risky proposition in the first place. With Campbell, bringing heat is just standard operating procedure because he can't beat it. There is little risk in doing so, and a big chance of reward, as evidenced by this play. Blocking for Campbell is detrimental for an OL's career.

that play was vintage campbell. blatant blitz coming with no snap deception for the defense, throws to the wrong guy and makes awful decision into double coverage, and the throw was poor to boot. but its not like none of us said hes been doing that for years, no no. hes just in a bad situation again.

that play was vintage campbell. blatant blitz coming with no snap deception for the defense, throws to the wrong guy and makes awful decision into double coverage, and the throw was poor to boot. but its not like none of us said hes been doing that for years, no no. hes just in a bad situation again.

Shhhhh..... He's gone, BLC. Let it go, let it all go away. He's loooong gone. :)

Zach Miller has said publically that the interception was his fault because of a route adjustment error on his part.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2010/09/13/raiders-try-to-make-sense-of-opener/

But, yes, that wasn't the only problem in this game. And if Jason continues to constantly check down like he did this past Saturday he will be on the bench sooner rather than later.

Shhhhh..... He's gone, BLC. Let it go, let it all go away. He's loooong gone. :)

its still fun to watch him fail all over the place, after listening to countless people tell me how good he is and how hes just dragged down by everyone else. again, i had to listen on the radio this morning about how hes good and how hes just in the wrong spot. it drives me up the wall.

Ahhh the woefully mis-informed have returned for another round of Campbell bashing. I'll be the first to admit that JC is not a great QB. He definitley looked pretty bad last week.

That being said, JC did the right thing here. The problem was the the receiver he chose did not sit down in his zone.. The Titans showed corner blitz with zone coverage. JC read it right. In that read, you throw the ball to a spot away from the blitz. JC did that. His WR or TE (cant tell by vid) kept running through that spot. Hence why the pass "looked" off target. Hence why you can see JC talking to #80 about just that miscommunication after the fact. The Titans had a great call here. They force the O into the situation they wanted. Notice the entire right side of the secondary get into position to get to the ball as soon as its snapped. The LB drops into coverage, the saftey and CB drop into zone to make a play for the ball when its released. They knew that the ball was going to come to that side.Very well done IMO.

Of course, hind sight is always perfect and the better throw here would have been to the guy between the hashes... who actually sat in his zone. JC biggest problem is not his skillset, his intelligence or his "Candleness". Its his habit of being indecisive. Hesitant. If (and thats a HUGE if) he can work that out, he could make a huge leap in his numbers. Chances are certainly against him. ANd if Grad come in and throws another couple of 20 something yard strkes in spot duty... JC better worry about his job.

And for the guy who said the bottom receiver was open? How can you tell? Was a corner blitz. Saftey over the top took that away.... and the camera pans away from that action right away.You throw away from pressure most of the time. Not to it.

Zach Miller has said publically that the interception was his fault because of a route adjustment error on his part.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2010/09/13/raiders-try-to-make-sense-of-opener/

But, yes, that wasn't the only problem in this game. And if Jason continues to constantly check down like he did this past Saturday he will be on the bench sooner rather than later.

like miller is gonna throw his weak QB under the bus after the first game in a horrible first performance. thats the last thing miller would do.

You throw away from pressure most of the time. Not to it.

This doesn't make sense, nor have I seen it in practice. Why would you not throw to the area that's been vacated? If the defense blitzes, the area that defender was in creates a hole in the defense - why would you not throw to the void instead of away from it? Obviously, the defense can rotate to fill that void, but that is part of the read. A blitz, especially a CB blitz, is going to create a weakness in coverage. The gamble is that the pressure will get there before the QB can exploit the weakness.

Blitzing is risky for this very reason - it necessitates opening up a weakness in coverage. That weakness is not going to be in the area away from the blitzer - unless, of course, the whole coverage is rotating to the vacant area, thus creating a weakness away from the pressure. But that is almost being too clever by half - it would create too many weaknesses in coverage during the transition. A defense may get away with that occasionally, but a competent QB would exploit that if it was done on a consistent basis.

Ah, no wonder the Titans let the blitzing CB's man go free and doubled that receiver. They knew that Campbell automatically looks for his TE under pressure.

Like I said, the receiver could have blown the route and it appears that that did happen. The point is that Campbell - again - made the wrong read. He may have completed the pass if he and the receiver had of been on the same page, but a competent NFL QB finds the OPEN receiver for a much bigger gain.

Before everyone laughs at how horrible Campbell is, keep in mind, in week one, he still ending up with a better passer rating than McNabb did, with a worse line, and worse receivers.

If you can honestly tell me that Campbell played a better game, after watching both those two performances and ignoring the stats, then I don't know what I can say.

Before everyone laughs at how horrible Campbell is, keep in mind, in week one, he still ending up with a better passer rating than McNabb did, with a worse line, and worse receivers.

I admire your faith in the guy, bud. :)

Just keep in mind that Campbell will ALWAYS be operating behind the worst line and throwing to the worst receivers...:)

classic. i knew gems like this would be coming, i just figured it wouldnt have taken until thursday!

and honestly if you think campbell played a better game than mcnabb because his QB rating and comp % were higher, you should probably just stop watching football.

lol, had to do it. its too golden.

Apparently you don't know how much comp% goes into PR. You also might not know, than unlike Campbell, McNabb knows how to throw the ball away, causing his comp % to take a hit. Thus McNabb's PR, goes down.

If you honestly think Campbell was the better QB last weekend, you've last your marbles.

How did Campbell look before that mercy touchdown towards the end of the game?

I like campbell... But I watched that whole game. He looked TERRIBLE. He was so bad that he didnt even get to show off how bad of a deep ball he has. In fact, i didnt see him throw a ball further than 20 yards. And the one pass that did go that far went incomplete. Its only a matter of time before he is injured. Dont expect him to get any better any time soon.

Archived