Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would you attend a gay marriage/civil union ceremony, and support the couple as if hetero?

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well put.

"I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."

But this again goes back to the fact that Jesus never took part in celebrating something His Father considered a sin. Going to a wedding is a celebration of the two getting married, no?

EDIT: Also, do you know who Jesus was referring to when He said that the tax collectors and prostitutes would enter heaven before them? Do you know why He said that they would? Context is everything good sir!

That's not at all true and is merely an attempt to frame the argument in a way that dismisses the opposition without consideration for whatever their objection might be. Dimissing the other side for the simple reason they oppose. Total bunk.
His modus operandi if I recall correctly.
I will say that there is entirely too much focus and concern from the church on homosexuality. It should get no more attention then divorce or any number of other issues. It's ironic, as IMO, the church has given the gay rights movement more traction then it would have had otherwise.
"Squeaky wheel is the one that gets the grease" my grandfather used to say.

For those not wanting to be seen to "endorse" something you think is a sin, let me ask you this:

Would you go to a Jewish wedding?

Yes. I would go to a Jewish wedding where it was a man and woman as God ordained from the beginning.
Wouldn't you be endorsing their belief that Jesus is not the son of God?
Certainly not. The purpose of the wedding is to affirm the union of man and woman, not worship another God. Jesus went to the wedding at Cana. Christianity flowed out Judaism. We just got to win the brothers back. ;)

Now other religions, Hinduism, Islam etc. probably not.

Am I a bad Christian for not really getting up in arms over this whole thing? I mean, I try to read my Bible as often as I can and I hold fast to the core beliefs of Christianity, but I don't see why so many of my faith have this rabid hatred for homosexuals.

I dunno. Maybe I wasn't reading hard enough.

Am I a bad Christian for not really getting up in arms over this whole thing? I mean, I try to read my Bible as often as I can and I hold fast to the core beliefs of Christianity, but I don't see why so many of my faith have this rabid hatred for homosexuals.

Nah. Reform Jews such as myself tend to be fairly socially liberal.

Well I'd go assuming I like the people :silly:

Judge not lest ye be judged ....

I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic school for 12 years, and consider myself to be a practicing Catholic. However, I don't necessarily agree with every single teaching of the Church. God and I have our own, personal relationship and when the time comes, He will judge me. I've dated boys and I've dated girls, I don't need anyone telling me who I can and cannot love or spend the rest of my life with. I've got family and friends who were none too happy with me dating other girls, but I've also had a few boyfriends that my father and brother hated as well :silly: Should I choose to spend the rest of my life with another woman [which I probably won't because we are all bat**** crazy] I would expect my family and friends to be there to support me. If they didn't want to come, well that'd be their choice, but I'm probably not going to be too upset that someone who wouldn't enjoy themselves is missing out. Weddings are supposed to be a celebration, I don't want people at mine who aren't going to enjoy themselves and/or be uncomfortable.

And anyway, marriage should be a religious thing, and not have to do with the government. Civil Unions for everyone! Then a wedding if you so choose...

Im a bit conflicted right now, on one hand I find homosexuality repugnant, mostly because dudes are gross, however I also find that its none of my business what people do in the privacy of the bedroom.

I believe its every religions right to decide what is ok and what is not ok FOR THEIR RELIGION, and its funny that people who are so concerned about peoples right to do whatever they want, usually arent as concerned about other peoples rights to their own opinions.

Christians dont/shouldnt have a hatred for homosexuals. You can disagree with homosexuality as the bible does, but it definitely does not and would not preach to hate a person because of their sin. Disagreement does not equal hatred towards the person. :2cents:

Im a bit conflicted right now, on one hand I find homosexuality repugnant, mostly because dudes are gross, however I also find that its none of my business what people do in the privacy of the bedroom.

I believe its every religions right to decide what is ok and what is not ok FOR THEIR RELIGION, and its funny that people who are so concerned about peoples right to do whatever they want, usually arent as concerned about other peoples rights to their own opinions.

Agree... Its interesting how people preach tolerance and understanding for all things, react intolerantly towards those of us who disagree with what THEY think is right. Ironic. ;)

According to what they say, shouldnt they be understanding and accepting of those who disagree? Doesnt mean they have to agree, but shouldnt there be "tolerance"?

Abnormalities? Oh, you mean like those with Down Syndrome, Huntington's, and hemophiliacs and such.

Mark them down as not normal and take away their rights.

On the contrary. Gays have every right that the others you mention do.

Same sex marriage is not a right.

Yes. I would go to a Jewish wedding where it was a man and woman as God ordained from the beginning.

Certainly not. The purpose of the wedding is to affirm the union of man and woman, not worship another God. Jesus went to the wedding at Cana. Christianity flowed out Judaism. We just got to win the brothers back. ;)

Now other religions, Hinduism, Islam etc. probably not.

Interesting distinction. I appreciate the reply.

I guess I still don't see why attending necessarily equates with "endorsing." When I go to weddings of religions other than my own (which happens frequently, as I am a reform Jew, if it matters) I am respectful. If they stand up and say a prayer that's not my own, I stand up with my eyes closed but don't speak the words.

What is so bad about getting over yourself for an hour and exercising respectful tolerance for your friends' beliefs? You go to a Hindu wedding ceremony, you observe people exercising their religion, but you're still you, and your values are still yours. You go to a gay Hindu wedding, God still knows what you believe in your heart and how you have lived your life.

You should be judged more harshly (by God and/or as a bad friend) for refusing to go, imo. :2cents:

<not speaking directly to ZGuy here, but to the "endorser" crowd as a whole>

For me, I've had some of the most fun at weddings of other cultures. It's always neat to see the different rituals and traditions. Similarly, I like to invite non-Jewish friends over for Passover dinner, because it's a fun holiday and a lot of people think it's interesting to participate in something different. I never thought of them as endorsing Judaism or its core tenents. Similarly I recently went to my wife's cousin's Christening. I was not endorsing Christianity. Just joining the family in a joyous occasion. I guess I should have refused to go...?

Simple question, with a few complex answers expected.

Would you attend a gay marriage/civil union ceremony if a friend, or your significant other's friend were getting married; and would you support them as you would any hetero couple?

Please be patient. The poll will take a few minutes to post. Thanks!

Simple answer, NO!

Hatred?! I can probably guess where you pulled that out of....no one in this entire thread has said anything about hatred, period. I do appreciate the words you put in my mouth though, very thoughtful of you. Is it so hard to understand that someone can not like something you do, but still love the person? I'm sure I've done a ton of things my parents hated, but that doesn't mean they hated me, they hated what I did.

Hatred?! I can probably guess where you pulled that out of....no one in this entire thread has said anything about hatred, period. I do appreciate the words you put in my mouth though, very thoughtful of you. Is it so hard to understand that someone can not like something you do, but still love the person? I'm sure I've done a ton of things my parents hated, but that doesn't mean they hated me, they hated what I did.

They are your parents. They don't really count.

Would you go to your gay kid's wedding?

I put yes if it were my friend, though the real answer is yes if it were my friend OR my wife's friend. I don't get the "unequivocally" option...I wouldn't just go to random strangers' weddings gay, hetero or otherwise.

Judge not lest ye be judged ....

Thank you Charles Barkley (he's the only celebrity I know that misused that line). I'm not sure how in any way that pertains to this argument. God does not say to not judge others, He said that if you judge others you will be judged as well by others.

Soooooo, if I say I do not agree with homosexuality how is that judging? Because I disagree with someone? Please expand on this I miss how this even remotely works with this situation.

And anyway, marriage should be a religious thing, and not have to do with the government. Civil Unions for everyone! Then a wedding if you so choose...

I do agree with this.

Definitely No

Thankfully it is not a issue,it would certainly be a painful choice.

Ok, please tell me what meets your standards:rolleyes:

I don't know you so please don't talk about my child, she's freaking 6 months old.

Ok, please tell me what meets your standards:rolleyes:

I don't know you so please don't talk about my child, she's freaking 6 months old.

nobody was talking about your child. Often, in the interest of furthering debate, hypotheticals are posed by other members. That those hypotheticals might or might not parallel individual circumstances is inconsequential.

Archived