Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would you attend a gay marriage/civil union ceremony, and support the couple as if hetero?

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I agree with the bolded part, there is no way in this world I would even be able to not love my daughter, but again I won't assist in her sinning.

Based on the post directly above this one, I'm assuming you'd probably have a talk to explain to her your view and let her know you still love her.

But, a marriage or partnership is pretty complicated and of course the most important part of many peoples' lives, so it might be impractical to try to support her but not the marriage/union.

If it were my kids, I would let them know that I do not approve of their lifestyle choices, but that they're old enough now to make their own decisions and understand fully the consequences of those decisions whatever they may be.

It would probably be the last conversation I had with them on the subject of their lifestyle. Beyond that I would just ask them to not where assless chaps and combat boots to Thanksgiving dinner.

But yes, I'd be there for them every step of the way.

Since you said you would disapprove of thier lifestyle, is there an instance/situation where you would withdrawl yourself because of thier lifestyle?

I'm genuinely curious- How would you react if your children if they converted to Judaism? Or Catholicism?

Same way,I would probably not attend a ceremonial function that I felt explicitly endorsed it.

I would however strive to keep a good relationship open as far as possible with my obvious bias.

Both my kids married Catholics with my blessing,guess which side I'm rooting for?:silly:

the Gays are a little odd. But they are good people. If they want to get married, then get married.

I'm convinced that they should be the central political thrust of any mayor's downtown revitalization movement.

(I'm 100% serious)

If it were my kids, I would let them know that I do not approve of their lifestyle choices, but that they're old enough now to make their own decisions and understand fully the consequences of those decisions whatever they may be.

To be clear, do you think homosexuality is a choice? Or do you think it's something that occurs naturally, and you disapprove of acting on it?

Not trying to be a smartass, just want to clarify your position a little bit.

Based on the post directly above this one, I'm assuming you'd probably have a talk to explain to her your view and let her know you still love her.

But, a marriage or partnership is pretty complicated and of course the most important part of many peoples' lives, so it might be impractical to try to support her but not the marriage/union.

Most definitely, now for the rest of that....yes it is important, but I'm 26 right now....I'm not sure how I'll handle it in 13 - 14 years.

Either way, she will know what her father thinks, and I'm sure I'll hear what she thinks. When it comes down to it, the only one opinion that matters though is God's.

Since you said you would disapprove of thier lifestyle, is there an instance/situation where you would withdrawl yourself because of thier lifestyle?

Probably the same situations where I would do so for a hetero child.

It would probably be the last conversation I had with them on the subject of their lifestyle. Beyond that I would just ask them to not where assless chaps and combat boots to Thanksgiving dinner.

But yes, I'd be there for them every step of the way.

ahahahahaha

My cousin decided to "come out" at a family reunion, he got wasted and started telling everyone at the fire about his sexual habits. at that point my great grandmother (about 97 at the time) said " I liked you better when you were in the closet." and then went inside, He then said " I suppose now you wont talk to me anymore either." to me, to which I replied " I didnt talk to you BEFORE I found out you put wieners in your mouth, we were never exactly close." then My uncle said " we dont need to know what you do on the weekend, as long as you dont wear assless chaps around here , its all good."

I guess my thing is simple, I dont run around telling everyone about my sex habits so I would prefer they dont throw theirs in my face.

To be clear, do you think homosexuality is a choice? Or do you think it's something that occurs naturally, and you disapprove of acting on it?

Not trying to be a smartass, just want to clarify your position a little bit.

I think it can be both. But, I don't know.

What I do know is I love and support my kids.

I'm convinced that they should be the central political thrust of any mayor's downtown revitalization movement.

(I'm 100% serious)

Them, and poor, young artists. If you put those two populations in a run-down area, within 5 years the wanna-be creative hipster crowd will descend upon the neighborhood like locusts, driving prices and rents sky-high, and the artists and natives out.

Most definitely, now for the rest of that....yes it is important, but I'm 26 right now....I'm not sure how I'll handle it in 13 - 14 years.

Either way, she will know what her father thinks, and I'm sure I'll hear what she thinks. When it comes down to it, the only one opinion that matters though is God's.

I can respect that - a lot. And that's saying something coming from a godless heathen like me. :cheers:

Probably the same situations where I would do so for a hetero child.

Ok, and just because you've withdrawn yourself it doesn't automatically mean that you don't love them. Its just that you don't approve of what they are doing. Right?

I brought this up because there are some who are implying that just because a parent wouldn't attend thier child's homosexual wedding - it means that they are lacking in love. It doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

I guess my thing is simple, I dont run around telling everyone about my sex habits so I would prefer they dont throw theirs in my face.

Last I checked, gay nor straight people run around telling people about their sex habits. (Unless as you mentioned they are very drunk or they just got laid for the first time)

Straight couples do, however, often parade around in public, holding hands, hugging, kissing, etc. And straight dudes often have no problem speaking openly about the women they've hooked up with, taken home from the bar, etc. Do you have a problem with this too?

What if your son meets a super hot middle eastern chick and has to convert to Islam to marry her?

Boy, this hits home for me. Not with Islam, but with Catholicism.

My ex is Catholic, and comes from a huge Catholic family. She flat out refused to even consider my church. She was completely closed-minded about it.

I, on the other hand, went to RCIA classes (Right of Catholic Initiation for Adults) with the intention of joining her church. It was important to me that our family celebrate our faith together, wherever we were.

After leaving the church in tears on several occasions because I simply couldn't stomach some of their beliefs, I quit going to the classes. My girls are being raised in the Catholic church, and I support and encourage them in that. But I couldn't do it, despite giving it my best effort.

I realize now, and probably did then, just ignored it, that anyone who won't consider your feelings on something like faith, isn't a person to spend your life with. There were so many warning signs that I ignored, it's almost embarassing.

Don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with Catholics or Catholicism. It just isn't for me.

Last I checked, gay nor straight people run around telling people about their sex habits. (Unless as you mentioned they are very drunk or they just got laid for the first time)

Straight couples do, however, often parade around in public, holding hands, hugging, kissing, etc. And straight dudes often have no problem speaking openly about the women they've hooked up with, taken home from the bar, etc. Do you have a problem with this too?

^^This i agree with. I'm not one for public forms of affection. And i despise people who talk about what they do in the bedroom. I HATE THAT!...But people think i'm crazy for feeling that way.

I can respect that - a lot. And that's saying something coming from a godless heathen like me. :cheers:

I appreciate it! I'm new to this, the only real decisions I've had to make so far are whether it is too hot/cold outside, or which food gave her green poo.:)

^^This i agree with. I'm not one for public forms of affection. And i despise people who talk about what they do in the bedroom. I HATE THAT!...But people think i'm crazy for feeling that way.

I don't think you're crazy for not wanting to hear details - I feel the same way. As for public affection, I'm not opposed as long as it's fairly restrained. And that goes for straight or gay - what's good for one is good for both.

And where I live now it's OK for a gay couple to hold hands when they walk down the street, which I think is great because if it weren't then it shouldn't be OK for me and my wife to hold hands in public either, and we like to do that.

All in the context, I'm new to parenting, I'm a little more defensive then most with that regard.

1. Ok - I posted awhile back that I have friends that smoke pot, I don't, we still hangout. They don't agree with my viewpoint, I don't agree with theirs, if they are going to do it, they will let me know so I can leave. I don't hate them, they don't hate me, I just don't agree with that lifestyle.

2. No I would not, they would know my view on this. I am in no way perfect, and do not expect perfection, but I also will not help them with their sin.

No worries - I certainly meant no disrespect to you and think it's good that your natural instinct is to be defensive of her.

As for your opinions above, I can respect that they are yours. I obviously don't agree with you and I don't think the pot-smoking is the greatest analogy, but I know what you mean.

Ok, and just because you've withdrawn yourself it doesn't automatically mean that you don't love them. Its just that you don't approve of what they are doing. Right?

I brought this up because there are some who are implying that just because a parent wouldn't attend thier child's homosexual wedding - it means that they are lacking in love. It doesn't necessarily have to be the case.

I wasn't involved in those conversations, nor do I think you arriving at your conclusion from my words quite gets you there. Not saying you don't have a point, just not seeing where me saying I wouldn't sit there and watch my hetero kids make babies is akin to me not approving of what they are doing.

In short, take up your argument with whoever said you don't love your kids, lol

What if your son meets a super hot middle eastern chick and has to convert to Islam to marry her?

:ols:

Promise us that once the season starts, and there is a raging Stadium debate about a blown call or controversial play, you'll chime in with a hypothetical about how it would have been different if a super hot middle eastern chick had run onto the field just as it was happening! OK? :)

Archived