Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would you attend a gay marriage/civil union ceremony, and support the couple as if hetero?

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Interesting distinction. I appreciate the reply.

I guess I still don't see why attending necessarily equates with "endorsing." When I go to weddings of religions other than my own (which happens frequently, as I am a reform Jew, if it matters) I am respectful. If they stand up and say a prayer that's not my own, I stand up with my eyes closed but don't speak the words.

What is the purpose in attending? I have always felt that you attend a wedding to support the couple and to celebrate their relationship. How can I support two people in a behavior and a relationship that I believe is inherently wrong?

On the contrary, wouldn't the person be asking me to violate my conscience by attending a ceremony that is a mockery of what we hold sacred, and to celebrate and support the people involved in said mockery?

Don't you think it is wrong to ask somebody to do something that violates their conscience?

Isn't that harming them on a spiritual level?

Similarly I recently went to my wife's cousin's Christening. I was not endorsing Christianity. Just joining the family in a joyous occasion. I guess I should have refused to go...?
Now you're labeled. You will be forever more a Messianic Jew to your brothers! :silly:

Thank you Charles Barkley (he's the only celebrity I know that misused that line). I'm not sure how in any way that pertains to this argument. God does not say to not judge others, He said that if you judge others you will be judged as well by others.

Soooooo, if I say I do not agree with homosexuality how is that judging? Because I disagree with someone? Please expand on this I miss how this even remotely works with this situation..

...and to further your point. We ALL judge, everyday. When ever you withdrawl yourself or your children from a person, a type of person, or a particular environment; you are indeed judging. When ever we give commentary on the world's events, especially where a crime or injustice is committed, we are indeed judging. Point being, "judging" in of itself isn't wrong - hypocritical judging is - judging to condemn a person is.

*Many people who percieve to be intelligent and quite logical often make this blunder, that all judging is wrong. Its really sad.

I believe its every religions right to decide what is ok and what is not ok FOR THEIR RELIGION, and its funny that people who are so concerned about peoples right to do whatever they want, usually arent as concerned about other peoples rights to their own opinions.

Where is anyone's right to an opinion being infringed upon?

One may have an opinion, but I don't necessarily have to respect it, particularly if I believe it is a contemptible opinion based on old-world mythologies.

But, hey, express it to the heart's content.

They are your parents. They don't really count.

Would you go to your gay kid's wedding?

Definitely No

Thankfully it is not a issue,it would certainly be a painful choice.

Same here twa.

Ok, please tell me what meets your standards:rolleyes:

I don't know you so please don't talk about my child, she's freaking 6 months old.

calm-down.jpg

I didn't even know you had a child, and now that I do, I am in no way implying that your 6month old daughter is a lesbo.

nobody was talking about your child. Often, in the interest of furthering debate, hypotheticals are posed by other members. That those hypotheticals might or might not parallel individual circumstances is inconsequential.

But maybe I should rephrase for you:

1. Parents generally love their children pretty unconditionally. Therefore, using them as an example as someone who loves you despite you doing stuff they disagree with, isn't really helpful.

2. If you had a gay child, and they were getting married to a person of the same sex, would you attend the wedding?

Deemed so, for now.

Didn't your state also continue building and selling ships to slave owners after "freeing" your own?

Still a nice place, I see. ;)

It's the Puritan way to be deeply conflicted in all matters.

The Mayor of my city is actually trying to market gay marriage as a tourist attraction - he's done several large ceremonies where he'll marry a succession of gay couples at City Hall. I can get you a good deal on that if you're interested. :silly:

calm-down.jpg2. If you had a gay child, and they were getting married to a person of the same sex, would you attend the wedding?

I'm on your side here, but I do have to say that if it were the wrong person, I'd pass on attending, just as I would with a hetero wedding.

The question really comes down to whether you'd continue to love your child if they turned out to be gay.

I don't have kids and don't want them (I love being an Uncle) but if I had them I know they'd have my full support if they were gay. Sexuality is only one aspect of a person's life, not the entire defining characteristic.

Sorry for getting in between this. But why do you have a problem with thier decision? Don't they have the right to "choose" not to attend?

They can do whatever they damn well please but there's no denying that it's a rather sorry situation for anyone to be in regardless of which side of this debate you sympathize with.

what about if it were open bar, and your son's in-laws were paying?

DAMN IT zoony! That definitely would change the dynamics,

but not the decision.

The Mayor of my city is actually trying to market gay marriage as a tourist attraction - he's done several large ceremonies where he'll marry a succession of gay couples at City Hall. I can get you a good deal on that if you're interested.

Depends.

When are gays in season. And what's the daily bag limit?:silly:

It's not my lifestyle, and coming from a Roman Catholic upbringing, it's not acceptable. I however, think for myself, and really don't have issue with it. What's the big deal? Call it Civil Union, and be done with it. And if any one of you had a child that turned out to be gay, and didn't support them, then you have issues in my opinion. I used to be Homophobic when I was younger, reason being, I was freakin ignorant. As long as you don't affect my lifestyle or happiness, I could care the **** less what you do.

Depends.

You use them too?!?!?! Nice to know we've got that in common! :evilg:

When are gays in season. And what's the daily bag limit?:silly:

Is that a Tea Party joke?

Seriously, I think it runs August to October, but you'll have trouble getting a hunting license or gun permit in this state.

I'm genuinely curious- How would you react if your children if they converted to Judaism? Or Catholicism?
Burn at the stake of course. You should know this as a Catholic living in Baptist HQ. :silly:

I don't know. Obviously I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Catholicism as Judaism, since Roman Catholicism does believe in the essentials of Christianity like the Trinity, atonement, etc.

Judaism denies Christ as savior and Lord. That would be tough. Hopefully it will never happen.

I didn't even know you had a child, and now that I do, I am in no way implying that your 6month old daughter is a lesbo.

But maybe I should rephrase for you:

1. Parents generally love their children pretty unconditionally. Therefore, using them as an example as someone who loves you despite you doing stuff they disagree with, isn't really helpful.

2. If you had a gay child, and they were getting married to a person of the same sex, would you attend the wedding?

All in the context, I'm new to parenting, I'm a little more defensive then most with that regard.

1. Ok - I posted awhile back that I have friends that smoke pot, I don't, we still hangout. They don't agree with my viewpoint, I don't agree with theirs, if they are going to do it, they will let me know so I can leave. I don't hate them, they don't hate me, I just don't agree with that lifestyle.

2. No I would not, they would know my view on this. I am in no way perfect, and do not expect perfection, but I also will not help them with their sin.

I'm on your side here, but I do have to say that if it were the wrong person, I'd pass on attending, just as I would with a hetero wedding.

The question really comes down to whether you'd continue to love your child if they turned out to be gay.

I don't have kids and don't want them (I love being an Uncle) but if I had them I know they'd have my full support if they were gay. Sexuality is only one aspect of a person's life, not the entire defining characteristic.

I agree with the bolded part, there is no way in this world I would even be able to not love my daughter, but again I won't assist in her sinning.

Where is anyone's right to an opinion being infringed upon?

One may have an opinion, but I don't necessarily have to respect it, particularly if I believe it is a contemptible opinion based on old-world mythologies.

But, hey, express it to the heart's content.

Just as I don't have to like the idea of homosexuality or respect it. particularly as its based on something I find abhorrent and gross. yet I have the ability to keep that to myself unless asked directly about what I think.

You can hate the sin and love the sinner.

If it were my kids, I would let them know that I do not approve of their lifestyle choices, but that they're old enough now to make their own decisions and understand fully the consequences of those decisions whatever they may be.

It would probably be the last conversation I had with them on the subject of their lifestyle. Beyond that I would just ask them to not where assless chaps and combat boots to Thanksgiving dinner.

But yes, I'd be there for them every step of the way.

Archived