Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Would you attend a gay marriage/civil union ceremony, and support the couple as if hetero?

Teller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

"No way! I could catch teh ghey!!"

LOL, you can tell this is a bias poll.:ols:

FYI, I voted no.

Gawd. The sensitivity to a touch of humor is strong with this one.

For the THIRD TIME....It was a joke. Damn. :ols:

Not in this state! :silly:

I'll only go if I give a crap about these people. But then, that's my requirement for attending any wedding; I'm not putting on a suit for people I don't actually care about.

Besides, it would have to be more fun than the super-Baptist wedding I went to recently. (Well, the wedding was fun and all, but the couple's families being there meant there was no alcohol and no dancing--what the Hell kind of wedding is that?!)

The organist (keyboard type organ) at my church is gay. I've been to a couple of his house parties. If you can get past the headless jet-black plastic mannequin in his foyer, wearing a silver-sparking speedo, it's actually a pretty good time. :ols:

ok a gay guy who is an "organist"? did anyone besides me think that was funny?

and I would attend a civil union no problem, but not if it was a false religious ceremony. I believe religions should have the right to decide what is and isnt in their religion, I also believe gays should have the same rights as straights even if its under different names.

I guess one question I have for the people refusing to go to one of these unions based on religious principles, have you ever gone to a "shotgun" wedding? Or a wedding of two people who have had a child out of wedlock? If so, what do you see is the difference?

So, for those who are afraid of the ghey...

If you had a close friend who was gay and they were getting married, you'd just say, "No, I'm not going. I don't care how badly you want me to come. My beliefs are against what you are about to do."? You'd miss out on one of the most important moments of a close friend's life because of your beliefs? You've never done something that you didn't want to because a good friend asked you to?

Not only is that entirely closed minded, it's completely selfish. Attending a wedding isn't supposed to be about you, it's supposed to be about the people being married. Something tells me that you "nay" folks haven't ever had any gay friends though so you likely won't ever have to worry about such a travesty.

I guess one question I have for the people refusing to go to one of these unions based on religious principles, have you ever gone to a "shotgun" wedding? Or a wedding of two people who have had a child out of wedlock? If so, what do you see is the difference?

Good question, K.

As you know, the Bible says that anyone who has committed one sin has committed them all. (PLEEEEEASE note that I'm not saying homosexuality is a sin; as Katie said earlier, that's not my call.)

So really, if you've stolen a pack of gum, you're as good as a murderer. I don't know if biblically you can make an argument for one of the situations you mentioned as being any better, nor worse, than a gay marriage on strictly biblical grounds.

Though I will most certainly defer to some of the actual biblical scholars and ministers on the board. They are far more versed (;)) on the Bible than am I.

So, for those who are afraid of the ghey...

If you had a close friend who was gay and they were getting married, you'd just say, "No, I'm not going. I don't care how badly you want me to come. My beliefs are against what you are about to do."? You'd miss out on one of the most important moments of a close friend's life because of your beliefs? You've never done something that you didn't want to because a good friend asked you to?

Not only is that entirely closed minded, it's completely selfish. Attending a wedding isn't supposed to be about you, it's supposed to be about the people being married. Something tells me that you "nay" folks haven't ever had any gay friends though so you likely won't ever have to worry about such a travesty.

Damn. :applause:

I'll tell you what, one of the most embarassing moments of my life came after a good friend of my mom's wedding. I went with my then-wife, and we had just had a major fight as we were getting ready to go.

Though I tried to put on the smiley face, I apparently didn't do it well enough. The bride actually asked my mother what was wrong with me during the reception. When mom relayed that to me afterwards, I was devastated.

There have been few occasions in my life when I more wanted to crawl in a hole and pile dirt on myself.

i guess I probably would. Thing is, I wouldn't know what to get them for a gift. Could I bring an opposite sex date or would I have to bring a dude?

You'd have to bring a dude of course. Also, you'd have to wear a male thong and a tie with no shirt on... cause, it's, um, what gays do.

i guess I probably would. Thing is, I wouldn't know what to get them for a gift. Could I bring an opposite sex date or would I have to bring a dude?

Somehow, I think it would be the same as any other invitation. You, and a guest are invited....

great minds think alike, its no wonder you missed it.:evilg:

Dr Do Pwnt Hog. :ols:

I go for the open bar and food anyway. What do I care who the suckers are walking down the aisle? :ols:

Is "open bar" some kind of code? :ols:

You'd have to bring a dude of course. Also, you'd have to wear a male thong and a tie with no shirt on... cause, it's, um, what gays do.

Actually, in all honesty, and I can't believe I'm owning up to this, but the gay men I know are FAR better dressers than I am. :ols:

Archived