Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen Press Confrence at 12:30 Discuss here

SIXX99

Well, thank God Bruce is smart enough to not publicly denigrate a possible commodity or even stop-gap player. That doesn't mean anyone thinks highly of JC's future.

Even ZORN could not endorse Campbell as a franchise QB, and not just because of ____ O-line give me a break. That O-line was fine yesterday and against the second string of San Diego's defense (not the Bears 85) he mustered 2 FGs and couldn't even hit the field of play on his last throw and was woefully inaccurate most of the game.

Lynch, Gruden, jaworski have all publicly criticized Campbell on TV recently, to say nothing of coaches who wanted nothing to do with him. Frankly, I can think of only one reason Mitchell supports Campbell and it's because it's a surrogate conflict for his war with the Redskins over the years. Well, there's another reason and we know what that is but...anyway.

The line has nothing to do with the league-wide perception of Campbell.

Coming out and saying that Campbell isn't a part of the team's future would be absolutely stupid on Allen's part and (obviously) he knows that. I'm not saying that they're necessarily ready to move on (a backup role/ keeping him to groom a rookie are options too) but some of these people shouldn't assume that a favorable remark toward Campbell's future = his future is here.

If there's a possibility at all to get any trade value out of him, the team's going to build him up to entice other teams to take a look.

Well, thank God Bruce is smart enough to not publicly denigrate a possible commodity or even stop-gap player. That doesn't mean anyone thinks highly of JC's future.

Even ZORN could not endorse Campbell as a franchise QB, and not just because of ____ O-line give me a break. That O-line was fine yesterday and against the second string of San Diego's defense (not the Bears 85) he mustered 2 FGs and couldn't even hit the field of play on his last throw and was woefully inaccurate most of the game.

Lynch, Gruden, jaworski have all publicly criticized Campbell on TV recently, to say nothing of coaches who wanted nothing to do with him. Frankly, I can think of only one reason Mitchell supports Campbell and it's because it's a surrogate conflict for his war with the Redskins over the years. Well, there's another reason and we know what that is but...anyway.

The line has nothing to do with the league-wide perception of Campbell.

He mustered 2 FG's? Are you ignoring the 2 TD's he threw? Lynch, Gruden and Jaworski have all said he's not elite but that you can win with him - that doesn't sound like criticism. Stop making up BS to fit your opinions.

Like you'd know what the league-wide perception of Campbell is. You make fun of "Campbell lovers" but it's quite funny how much you make up just to support your opinions. No one bashed Campbell, they criticized certain plays he made (or didnt make) - guess what? THEY DO THAT TO EVERYONE. All of them have said he's a QB that can start and win games, he's just not elite.

You're beyond ridiculous. I bet you were praying as hard as you could that Bruce Allen spent the entire press conference bashing Campbell.

Didn't say anything new that would make me optimistic about the future. I would've liked to hear an honest assessment. Once again, our beloved team will look to make a big splash. He didn't address an obvious huge concern which is the offensive line.

:helmet:

I don't expect him to address with the fans, but with personnel and coaches and then with action.

Didn't say anything new that would make me optimistic about the future. I would've liked to hear an honest assessment. Once again, our beloved team will look to make a big splash. He didn't address an obvious huge concern which is the offensive line.

It's good that he's not thinking about your feelings. You don't downgrade players, for one, they're surveying the coaches on the players. last thing you need is for the coaches to say on the survey "X can start in this league, needs more time" and then for the GM to go on a press conference about the head coach and undermine those opinions or create negative feelings.

That's why I think some are overrating what Allen said about Jason. I don't mind if Jason is a backup or we tender him to get a draft pick but there's no way he's an elite starter and the league knows it. What may preserve his value is that he has inflated statistics and sometimes looks competent, therefore a team with a very strong running game and defense may pick him up.

:wtf:

His completion percentage for the first half was 70% with a qbr of 140. He still finished the game with 66.7%. On one of the TD drives he completed 8 of 9 passes. Can't get much better than that. Woefully inaccurate most of the game, my ass.

The big thing I liked hearing Allen say was that Snyder is entrusting him and the head coach to make all the football-related decisions. He also kept coming back to saying that the "status quo" was unacceptable and that the Skins needed to change the way they do business. It's good to hear someone in the front office say that. I also think it was significant that Snyder didn't attend the press conference. The jury, of course, is still out, but these are, indeed, positive signs.

excellent. there is no need to completely blow this team up.

Well, I disagree. I think what you just heard from Allen is the way the organization is going to paint the situation. I think we'll see A LOT of Redskins leave in the next two off-seasons. I just don't think we'll hear the front office or coaching staff make excuses and act like the remaining and new players aren't still expected to win.

I like what he said about Campbell; not necessarily b/c it means they plan to bring him back, but to do anything to decrease his value would not benefit the team.

Astute observation (not that I'm calling you a "stute" :silly: ).

And I agree with your implication. Nothing there is gauranteed either way---yet. ;)

I don't know what people expected? To tear the team down calling certain players out? I have new hope and not with Campbell. Yes our O line was bad but look at Greenbay and Rogers is a stud. Greenbay Rb is not special, we have better TEs and are receivers minus Greg Jennings are just as good

No one bashed Campbell

You're beyond ridiculous. I bet you were praying as hard as you could that Bruce Allen spent the entire press conference bashing Campbell.

Dude, I watch broadcasts and other than BAD players or the boneheaded play any QB can make (isolated in nature) they don't spend nearly the same amount of time talking about Qbs in the way they talk about Campbell.

They say you can win with him in the right situation. Almost everything, aside from physical resilience, is the kind of praise that is really low expectations and how he's "not too bad." That's it. There's no resounding, ringing endorsements of the guy because he's not good enough.

You think that's high praise? And BTW, when they say "you can win with him in the right situation" that means everything else has to be JUST SO, which you could claim for almost any QB who has ever made it onto an NFL Roster. BTW, these broadcasters often work with the players, interview them or sit down with them before doing the games. I really don't see any of them coming out and saying, "this guy stinks. he needs to be out of the NFL." So, considering that there are places they don't go with ANY player in this league (ie. they never say a guy needs to be cut right away, not a QB at least, or has no future in the league) then rethink about what they say about Jason and see how CLOSE they come to saying that without saying it explicitly. Other than all-time busts like a Couch or Akili Smith, I don't recall them ever saying the kinds of things about a QB that they do about Jason. About his rookie mistakes, inability to place the ball, use the pocket, make decisions quickly, etc.

Why would I want Bruce Allen to spend time devaluing a player in the middle of a press conference? That's stupid. I wouldn't want him to talk about any of our players that could net us some kind of value or that may be on the team next year.

If you think that I would want that, you really are lost.

Bruce Allen coming up in about 5 minutes. Link in just a second...

I dunno..talk of playing "Redskins Football" and all doesn't necessarily point to Shanahan. Redskins Heritage and Redskins football could also point to Russ Grimm, one of the BEST at Redskins football! At the very least, if Shanny is the MANny, then he should at least look at getting Grimm to come over as OLine Coach & OC assistant!

HTTR

The big thing I liked hearing Allen say was that Snyder is entrusting him and the head coach to make all the football-related decisions. He also kept coming back to saying that the "status quo" was unacceptable and that the Skins needed to change the way they do business. It's good to hear someone in the front office say that. I also think it was significant that Snyder didn't attend the press conference. The jury, of course, is still out, but these are, indeed, positive signs.

Were the Lombardis on display?

I agree with your assessment. He is someone who thinks on a strategic level, something that Vinny couldn't do. Allen seems to see the entirety of the picture, and that's what we need right now.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the updates!

I think Bruce handled himself well, and said everything he can and should have said at this time. Watching B-Mitch on Comcast afterward, you just got the sense that no matter what happens he can't bring himself to say anything positive about the Snyder owned Redskins. Mitchell alluded to the fact that Bruce didn't really "say" anything. What did he expect? Individual players and coaches to be called out and discussed?

:wtf:

His completion percentage for the first half was 70% with a qbr of 140. He still finished the game with 66.7%. On one of the TD drives he completed 8 of 9 passes. Can't get much better than that. Woefully inaccurate most of the game, my ass.

Don't over-hype the stat it's 66.7% for passes 10yds or less! Yes Campbell led the league in passes completed less the 10 yds. So hype it how you want but that is mediocre anyway you spin it!

Dude, I watch broadcasts and other than BAD players or the boneheaded play any QB can make (isolated in nature) they don't spend nearly the same amount of time talking about Qbs in the way they talk about Campbell.

They say you can win with him in the right situation. Almost everything, aside from physical resilience, is the kind of praise that is really low expectations and how he's "not too bad." That's it. There's no resounding, ringing endorsements of the guy because he's not good enough.

You think that's high praise? And BTW, when they say "you can win with him in the right situation" that means everything else has to be JUST SO, which you could claim for almost any QB who has ever made it onto an NFL Roster. BTW, these broadcasters often work with the players, interview them or sit down with them before doing the games. I really don't see any of them coming out and saying, "this guy stinks. he needs to be out of the NFL." So, considering that there are places they don't go with ANY player in this league (ie. they never say a guy needs to be cut right away, not a QB at least, or has no future in the league) then rethink about what they say about Jason and see how CLOSE they come to saying that without saying it explicitly. Other than all-time busts like a Couch or Akili Smith, I don't recall them ever saying the kinds of things about a QB that they do about Jason. About his rookie mistakes, inability to place the ball, use the pocket, make decisions quickly, etc.

Why would I want Bruce Allen to spend time devaluing a player in the middle of a press conference? That's stupid. I wouldn't want him to talk about any of our players that could net us some kind of value or that may be on the team next year.

If you think that I would want that, you really are lost.

Exactly! "you can win with him" is announcer speak for "he doesn't totally suck as many believe". However "winning with" a QB means everything around him has to be just right. And even then, as we saw with Kerry Collins and T. Jackson last year, without a franchise QB it's pretty damn tough to go where you really want to go.

Me? 10-6 and maybe the second round of the playoffs does not interest me. I want to watch them win more Super Bowls. And it's pretty clear by now that without a franchise QB it's nearly impossible. That's why Tom Brady has rings and Jake Delhomme fell short. For every Trent Dilfer there are 10 Joe Montanas.

It's good that he's not thinking about your feelings. You don't downgrade players, for one, they're surveying the coaches on the players. last thing you need is for the coaches to say on the survey "X can start in this league, needs more time" and then for the GM to go on a press conference about the head coach and undermine those opinions or create negative feelings.

That's why I think some are overrating what Allen said about Jason. I don't mind if Jason is a backup or we tender him to get a draft pick but there's no way he's an elite starter and the league knows it. What may preserve his value is that he has inflated statistics and sometimes looks competent, therefore a team with a very strong running game and defense may pick him up.

I'm not asking for a downgrade of players. I'm not asking him to demean his players. Just answer the question about the O-line asked by Jason Reid. He doesn't need to create negative feelings. As a fan I just want to know his thoughts on things.

:helmet:

Don't over-hype the stat it's 66.7% for passes 10yds or less! Yes Campbell led the league in passes completed less the 10 yds. So hype it how you want but that is mediocre anyway you spin it!

He was DIRECTLY responding to the claim that Campbell was "woefully inaccurate" which is, coincidentally enough, a woefully inaccurate statement.

Spin it how you want.

I don't know what people expected? To tear the team down calling certain players out? I have new hope and not with Campbell. Yes our O line was bad but look at Greenbay and Rogers is a stud. Greenbay Rb is not special, we have better TEs and are receivers minus Greg Jennings are just as good

Don't tell corrupt3d or the Campbell brigade of supporters.

When campbell gets time and does zippo, he needs receivers or someone dropped a pass or the D didn't score 4 TDs for him. When he gets pressured and makes some plays "OH MY GOD, he made a play when pressured! NO QB does that--only JC can!" When he gets pressured and flubs, "OH MY! NO QB Can deal with this pass rush. Superman would get killed back there! Only Campbell can withstand this relentless assault of blitzers he should be able to see, defenders who were not a threat until he ran into them, etc"

Ok, I added that last little bit.

But honestly, Campbell is not the first nor is he the only player to deal with adversity from offensive line issues. Others have overcome them or at least been able to show the grasp of fundamental QB play, even if the overall production suffered or they made mistakes from forcing things.

Campbell's issues as a QB are almost totally unrelated to pass protection because they are demonstrated time and again when he has sufficient time. He has made some improvements to his game but they do not militate against the deficiencies from which he suffers.

Well, I disagree. I think what you just heard from Allen is the way the organization is going to paint the situation. I think we'll see A LOT of Redskins leave in the next two off-seasons. I just don't think we'll hear the front office or coaching staff make excuses and act like the remaining and new players aren't still expected to win.

I don't know that any organization ever "blows a team up", especially not an organization that will spend money on available free agents. Also, with the short term, win at all costs mentality of owners, there's much more pressure to win now than ever before. Quick turnarounds are not out of the question in todays NFL (see Atlanta, Arizona, Cincinatti, Miami). Just because our O-line is old right now doesn't mean we trade or dump valuable, productive players.

That being said, I agree that there are several Skins who will be gone but it may be more for their attitude than their potential. I agree with Allen when he insinuated that there needs to be more of a team first mentality. If that can be developed, and we can add players in key areas then we may see a much more productive team all around.

Exactly! "you can win with him" is announcer speak for "he doesn't totally suck as many believe". However "winning with" a QB means everything around him has to be just right. And even then, as we saw with Kerry Collins and T. Jackson last year, without a franchise QB it's pretty damn tough to go where you really want to go.

Me? 10-6 and maybe the second round of the playoffs does not interest me. I want to watch them win more Super Bowls. And it's pretty clear by now that without a franchise QB it's nearly impossible. That's why Tom Brady has rings and Jake Delhomme fell short. For every Trent Dilfer there are 10 Joe Montanas.

WTF are you talking about here?

Some are going to start skirming over this

Quite a few people (myself included) have taken a step back and realized that it might be in the best interest to bring him back.

But, you stick with what you do best and that's bait people into trying to start an argument.:thumbsup:

Archived