Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Zorn earned another year?

clskinsfan

I think you're underestimating the importance of play calling. Zorn was a horrid playcaller early in the season and it showed. Now, we brought some guy off the street to run the offense and it has improved exponentially. Lewis may "just call the plays," but his ability to adjust to defenses and call the right play in the right situation is much better than Zorn's.

I think the other thing is Lewis is trusting his players. Zorn called a game as if he was afraid. Because he had a bunch of new players he shortened his playbook, reduced motions, went for safer routes and plays. Consequently, it made it that much easier for defenses to defend. Lewis is giving defenses something to think about with motion with deep reads and even reverses that may not work, but are a threat. More, we actually ran to the right side of the ball yesterday. Who'd a thunk a team could run right?

I think the other thing is Lewis is trusting his players. Zorn called a game as if he was afraid. Because he had a bunch of new players he shortened his playbook, reduced motions, went for safer routes and plays. Consequently, it made it that much easier for defenses to defend. Lewis is giving defenses something to think about with motion with deep reads and even reverses that may not work, but are a threat. More, we actually ran to the right side of the ball yesterday. Who'd a thunk a team could run right?

Since he reportedly has little to do with the game planning, the differences you noted should probably not be attributed to Lewis's playcalling.

The things a win can do to us fans.

ding ding

want to keep a guy who still has not established a offesive identiy for the redskins

What is the redskins idenity on offense are we a passing team or a smahsmouth team ???? was not Simple jim purpose to establish that first and foremost.

it took Shemran lewis to help develop some sembelance of a indentiy , Alos let look at his hiring class of harbaugh, Sparano and Mike Smith all three of those coaches still have their teams in playoff hunts .

Hmmm are the redskins still in playoff hunt no that should be the answer when thinking about bring Simple jim back for another year...

It's all about the playcalling isn't it? Amazing how Sherm Lewis has managed to coach up the receivers, TEs, the quarterback and got the offensive line playing well in such a short amount time. Not only that, he got the entire team to continue to show up on Sunday's despite the number of heartbreaking losses this team has had so far this season.

I've always stated that Zorn needed 3 years, and perhaps 4 years if Campbell turned out not to be the right fit at QB. The victory against the Raiders, and how the team is playing hard despite all the injuries to our high-profile players (Samuels, Thomas, Cooley, Haynesworth, Hall, Sellers, etc.) are testimony to the fact Zorn has this team pointed in the right direction.

We saw flashes of this offense during Zorn's tenure, even before Lewis was here. However, remember that the offense is in transition, and it takes a while to really build in a WCO. But we're now seeing the WCO starting to click more often and even stringing together decent looking drives, albeit against the less dominant defenses.

Time will tell whether this trend will continue and the Skins can actually move back into the ranks of the elite NFL teams-- but at this point in time, Zorn does have his team playing hard. They haven't quit under adverse conditions. That's a good sign for the future, and makes a strong argument to 'stay the course' with Zorn.

There's three more games left,....let's wait til the end of the season and pose the same question.

They are definitely playing better the past 5 weeks, and everyone seems to agree that Sherm Lewis is the main difference. He's made a difference, but guys seem to be making more plays and the execution overall is much better. I think Joe Bugel has done one hell of a job with the patch work O-line and deserves a lot of credit. They're still not great, but considering,....much better.

It's easy to forget the earlier part of the season now since they're playing better. Regardless,...you need to factor that in at the end of the season. Let's play these last three games and then pose the question again.

The thing that scares me most is this -- There will be a lot of very important decisions to make this off-season. Coaching, players to keep and/or cut, who to draft, etc -- and the guy that will be making these decisions is someone who's probably never thrown a spiral in his life. The biggest problem with this organization still exists, that's what scares me.

The real question is.....Are the redskins just fool's gold? If this team will actually play like this next season there is no reason to change anything just resupply the Oline and pick well in the draft.

I don't know, I was like most of you thinking its a good idea to just dump the whole thing but after seeing TWO games wehre the skins scored 30 points, its hard to make that call.

The real question is.....Are the redskins just fool's gold? If this team will actually play like this next season there is no reason to change anything just resupply the Oline and pick well in the draft.

I don't know, I was like most of you thinking its a good idea to just dump the whole thing but after seeing TWO games wehre the skins scored 30 points, its hard to make that call.

And with the exception of the sputtering output versus the Cowboys, we saw some semblance of an NFL offense versus the Broncos and Eagles also.

Continuity doesn't breed success. Success breeds continuity. If the Redskins can look decent for these final three games, I'd have to give serious thought to overhauling the staff.

The team has not quit on Zorn. Not only that, they're actually getting much better, at least offensively. I think the players like the guy and want to see him win.

This situation really reminds me of what the Phillies did with Charlie Manuel a few years ago. Everyone was calling for Charlie's head but the organization liked how he handled players. So, what they did was bring in a bunch of ex-managers (Davey Lopes, Jimy Williams, Art Howe) and basically made Charlie the figurehead who relied heavily on his coaches. They still work that way and have been very successful.

I think we all need to remember that this entire process was a learning one for Zorn. He was never a head coach and has probably learned a lot in his two years as HC. He didn't interview for this position; he was handed it. If there were any way to beef up his support staff and keep him on I hope that's how it plays out. He deserves a chance to build on this second half success. In other words, lets tweak this thing rather than blowing it up.

zorn needs to go. i know everyone is glad we won a meaningless game yesterday and our offense is no longer the worst in the league, but my god hes just not a good head coach. zorn has had his shot, and he should be judged on his body of work, not a few games in a lost season that mean nothing.

Ok. Then why just judge him on his W/L record? Thats not his "body of work".

Zorn deserves to come back next year and fulfill his contract. It has nothing to do with just one game. There are several games that we could have won but didn't based on mistakes made ON THE FIELD. If you put your team in position to win at the end of games, then don't blame the coach. He has kept this team motivated throughout the year depite our record. What would we have if we had hired Schwartz or Garrett two years ago? As far as Shanny: If Mc Daniels has them winning, what does that say for Shanny? It's virtually the same personnel with a mediocre QB. We need to end this coaching carousel and for once honor a contract to it's completion.

I do like what I see so far. The team is really sticking together now. What is strange to me, is seeing these guys hug and slap-ass after scores. They were not doing that earlier this year.

Is it because we have hungry backups wanting to make aname for themselves vs. the "stars" on this team.

I also find it very puzzling that as soon as Portis was not working with the team, they really started clicking.

I am sure that I would lik to see Zorn and JC back again next year under one condition. That is they would spend a good chunk of cash and/or picks replenishing the front line.

On a side note, how much longer is Bugel gonna coach? would be worried trying to find his replacment.

For an NFL Head Coach it pretty much is actually.

Fair or not as a coach in the NFL you don't stay employed if you lose, even if a good part of the blame falls on the front office for not addressing clear weaknesses in the roster.

I like Zorn as a man, he is clearly a stand up guy and by all accounts a very good QB coach. He has done a good jb speeding up Campbells drop and working in his mechanics. However IMO he is in over his head as an NFL Head Coach.

If we bring in a Head Coach like Shanny or Gruden who are offensive guys with a WCO background we get a lot of carry over from the scheme we are running now and a big upgrade on the offensive coach staff.

Bottom line, for me, Zorn is part of the problem not the solution.

passizle, cmon man. i know we dont agree on a ton, but are you seriously saying a coaches worth shouldnt be judged on his w/l record? my god dude.

zorn is currently 12-17. not very good, and even worse considering over his last 20 games hes 6-14.

MartinC

I respectfully disagree. Yes, we had to go through painful growing pains last year and this year and we lost a lot of winnable games but the light bulb finally went on in the second half of the Atlanta game. It didn't equate to wins this year but the improvement on offense with the speed of JC's delivery to his receivers and the patchwork o-line's improvement giving JC just a little more time back there, are all positives to take into next year. I truly believe Zorn will be ready to be a real HC next year with what he's learned from his experiences last year and this year. If we draft o-linemen, CB and a FS, we could create some havoc next year. My two cents.

Hail!

There are a few things we're seeing here

1. Zorn had too many jobs to handle.

2. The offensive line was too Old and has gotten better with the younger players but still not where it needs to be.

3. The BIG heads that are on IR are also a big part of the problem they don't want to play hard for this coach because they don't like him,well too bad go rott on some other bench and get over yourselves.

Archived