Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Zorn earned another year?

clskinsfan

The skins played great with lots of heart for a change. The kicker situation looks solved....for now anyway. Jason is really coming into his own and he proved once again that he is tough and can take many hits. Randal El has got to go, as much as I like him he's gun shy, maybe he comes back as a coach or something. The defense played strong again putting constant pressure on the QB. I'd like to see a 4-0 finish before I commit to renewing any contracts.

This team is really coming together and clicking. We may be 1-3 in our last 4, but we were winning in the 4th in all of them and minus the Cowboys game we have really been putting it together on offense. The defense stepped it up today in the fourth quarter. I've always been kind of a fan of the head coach simply being a figurehead for the most part, someone that is the leader of the team but not necessarily as involved in calling plays etc.

I'm not sure how it happened, but the current structure and everything is doing something right because our team has become fun to watch and is playing great football on both sides of the ball. I'm not saying everything is perfect, I still get frustrated when Campbell misses an open man or Landry blows coverage, but as a whole this team really looks headed in the right direction. I think to change a lot of that this offseason would really hurt the growth we've obviously made this second half of the season.

Finally, I think keeping most of the team/coaches together and picking up additional draft picks by trading a few players like Rogers and maybe Cooley could really help us. I think it's too difficult to really use 2 tight ends productively in this league...it's all about opportunities and there's just not enough to go around to everybody. The only way I can see it working is if (as someone else suggested) we say goodbye to Sellers and move Cooley back to H-Back/FB and leave Fred at TE. But I'd like to see this team continue on without Portis and probably Rogers.

I definitely agree with your overall point, but I strongly disagree about trading Cooley. I was on that bandwagon for a month or so, but I'm starting to think Sherm Lewis gets it. Remember he hasn't been here 6 months and he's already got us actually scoring points, behind this crappy OL. With a full offseason to prepare and get more comfortable, I think the possibilities with Cooley and Davis are exciting. I think we'll definitely see some of the two TE sets we've been hearing/talking about. And I think it will work really well.

Also, I think we need to evaluate Laundry at SS. See if he's the guy or not.

Rogers is replacable though. He's been solid over the years but he doesn't seem to be happy here for whatever reason. I think we need to just cut our losses with him, for the overall talent and for team chemistry. Put in Barnes and let him learn. Tryon is a solid nickel. Let the young guys play and make mistakes.

In my opinion, the most ignorant thing we could do right now is blow this team up and start over from scratch. Anyone with any knowledge of the West Coast offense has said from day 1 that this offense takes 3 years. Here we are at the end of year 2 and we are finally seeing it come together, and people are laughing at the idea of keeping it together for year 3. That is a product of the Dan Snyder model, and the very same people who bash Snyder for his personnel moves are laughing at others for actually hoping to keep some sort of continuity around this place.

It's not about beating Oakland, it's about seeing the progression of the offense over the last several weeks. Guys like Ganther, Cartright, Davis and Thomas are doing things that we were screaming to see from Portis, Cooley, and Moss.

Zorn should not call the plays, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be the head coach. I for one hope he is back and the only changes we see are a couple new additions to the O Line.

Some people just dont get it. :doh:

We are clearly better than our record indicates and are playing on a different level than we have played in a while. Go root for the cowboys.

There's no such thing as "better than our record indicates." You are what your record says you are.

Sorry fror the double post, but another reason to keep Cooley is to keep the good parts of your team. He's well liked in the locker room and loved by the fans. Don't trade him just to do it. He deserves better from us. And it's not liking keeping him hurts us at all. He's a legit Pro Bowl TE who is liked by his teammates and the fans. You don't get rid of those kinds of players in the NFL.

How could anyone NOT want to see this team turn it around and put mud in everyones face?

Especially Mike Ditka.

Exactly. That's true Washington Redskins football right there darn it. And it's freaking awesome to think about. We've seen the pride of these guys kick in over the second half of the season. They were a JOKE and Zorn somehow found a way to fire them up. Keep the true Redskin vets on this team, the Cooley and the Fletcher (strange to consider Cooley a vet with how young he is).

Keep Jason Campbell while we draft in a year or two and see if we can find one ready to take over when JC is done here. But these guys are putting it all out on the line right now.

No, he has not earned another year here. The team has undoubtedly improved the last couple weeks, but that was mostly do to Bingo Lewis coming in and Zorn being demoted.

Having said that, if we win out beating the Giants and Dallas at home then SD on the road, it would mean that this thing is real. We may prove to be too good to try and blow up and start from scratch again with another coaching staff.

This thread should be bumped after the SD game. Despite our record, this is an average to above-average football team right now.

I think Sherm Lewis has earned another year as OC, and the team has played lots better since Zorn doesn't have to worry about play-calling and can worry about being a HC. I wouldn't be horribly upset, but it still doesn't give me a whole lot of hope if they stay. I'm actually less convinced of Campbell's recent success than I am of Zorn's.

The other thing that bothers me is that all our young/new players are playing great, I wonder what would have happenned if the HC would have given them more opportunities earlier (like before we were eliminated from the playoffs). If it weren't for injuries, we'd probably have shipped all of them out of town because Zorn never wanted to play any of them, for whatever reason.

The bengals were:

7-9 in 2007.

4-11-1 in 2008.

They stayed the course and moving forward have what looks to be a decent team for the next few years.

-They had massive injuries much like we've had this year.

-Also took a few risks and projects (Benson, C. Henry) like we did this year ( Hall, M.Williams ).

-Their draft picks finally are playing to potential (Defensive especially, Ours on offense)

-Their coach was heavily scrutinized.

-Their front office was hated.

-Their fans were exhausted and disenchanted with older stars (Ochocinco/Palmer).

All I want is for my team and coach to exude heart and swagger. It finally looks like the light bulb is clicking for them. I can take a heartbreaking loss to the Saints when I know the team was playing their guts out. What I cannot stand is a 9-7 win against the Rams in which it looked like everyone on the field was just trying to get a paycheck and played scared/timid/heartless.

Patience people, patience.

I think Sherm Lewis has earned another year as OC, and the team has played lots better since Zorn doesn't have to worry about play-calling and can worry about being a HC. I wouldn't be horribly upset, but it still doesn't give me a whole lot of hope if they stay. I'm actually less convinced of Campbell's recent success than I am of Zorn's.

The other thing that bothers me is that all our young/new players are playing great, I wonder what would have happenned if the HC would have given them more opportunities earlier (like before we were eliminated from the playoffs). If it weren't for injuries, we'd probably have shipped all of them out of town because Zorn never wanted to play any of them, for whatever reason.

Yep ya said it all. Sherms got the right tempo, Zorn might as well have a Barbie Doll head set on. Our young draft pick(s) are finally working out (well Fred Davis is consistent now).

Sorry but Zorn is not needed. He couldn't handle being the head Coach (running all assignments succesfully). This was too much for him from being a Qb Coach to being promoted to H.C..

This whole thread kinda makes me laugh, because if the Raiders would've Whooped us, this thread wouldn't even be taking place right now...

Zorn stated it takes 3 years for a QB to learn the WCO.

This is a fact, I heard Joe Montana say it took him 3 years to learn the WCO. I love watching this team we have on the field now, too bad we couldn't get into the playoffs with what we have going on now.

Regardless this team does not need blown up this off season, but we do need some major positions filled.

I think Campbell has earned another year because he has shown not only good skill as a QB, but good skills as a leader, because he has ignored all the ppl talking about him, and has gone out there and played his ass off and proved them wrong...and i think for that, Dan needs to reward him with an offensive line and a running game for X-mas :) and because of this, Zorn should stay, because he has made Campbell what he is today, he has coached him well, even though it has taken him a few years to get it going...so for X-mas, Dan should reward Zorn with a brand new coaching staff, and a new talent scout and GM :)....'tis the season of giving!!!!

Hey, guys, we can't have it both ways. If Zorn goes, Lewis has to go, too. The whole reason Zorn is the HC in the first place is because no one wanted to come here and have the coaching staff already set in stone before he gets here. That's non-sense. If we say "keep Lewis as OC" and "promote Jerry Gray to DC", all you're gonna have room for is another Jim Zorn.

I still feel we need a clean house the entire coaching staff. The skill position on offense is loaded and there's plenty of talent there on defense for someone to come in and get the best out of them.

Hey, guys, we can't have it both ways. If Zorn goes, Lewis has to go, too. The whole reason Zorn is the HC in the first place is because no one wanted to come here and have the coaching staff already set in stone before he gets here. That's non-sense. If we say "keep Lewis as OC" and "promote Jerry Gray to DC", all you're gonna have room for is another Jim Zorn.

I still feel we need a clean house the entire coaching staff. The skill position on offense is loaded and there's plenty of talent there on defense for someone to come in and get the best out of them.

Kirk Olivdotti stays. The players like him and he's been here through several regimes... of course, so has Cerrato....

I'm conflicted. The players are playing hard. Is that because there is no more pressure on them or because they really enjoy playing for Zorn? I think Lewis has earned the OC position, but if we bring in a new HC he sould be allowed to hire his own staff. On the other hand I'm still not totally convinced that the regime the way its set up now will ever have long term success.

Archived