Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

4 hours ago, thebluefood said:

I know I've said it a million times on this forum but you 'Skins fans from outside the D.C. area truly confuse me. I know a lot of you came to the team during the golden years but you all have stuck around. You all a great but you truly confuse me.

Spent many hours of my youth listening to armed force radio covering 'Skins game in the middle of the night. I mean, not sure if that reflects well on me or not :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, thebluefood said:

I know I've said it a million times on this forum but you 'Skins fans from outside the D.C. area truly confuse me. I know a lot of you came to the team during the golden years but you all have stuck around. You all a great but you truly confuse me.

It was an accident. I didn't know my grandfather was an eagles fan. I only paid attention to it to get close to him. Redskins vs Cowboys thanksgiving game in 79 or 80. I asked who to cheer for. He said against the cowboys. Then I went to the library every day and learned everything about the skins, so I knew more about them than the Eagles when I was 6.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, thebluefood said:

If you lived in Northern Maryland in the 80s after the Colts left you followed the Redskins every week on CBS 11 during the "golden years"

With an UHF antenna wrapped in aluminum foil 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, thebluefood said:

The irony. I grew up in SE VA. Always thought the Skinz belonged to VA just played in DC. LOL

• Haha 1

This was posted a little more than a year ago but I'm just now discovering it. Matt Ufford breaking down the common links between North American Sports' most successful franchises over the past few years. There's a lot of talk on the forum about what it's going to take to get the 'Skins back on track so I figured this might be relevant. 

• Like 1

Wonder what's going to happen to the Patriots after their "glory years" officially come to an end - especially when Belichick splits. If they go back into being the mediocre franchise they've been for the vast majority of their existence, are they going back to fighting for "not last place" in the Boston sports market or what?

On 2/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, thebluefood said:

Fair enough! I kind of forget Virginia has, traditionally, been firmly a 'Skins state. North Carolina was the same way before the Panthers came along. 

NC still has a lot of hold overs but we are getting to be outnumbered as our Superbowl generation ages.

• Like 3

Huh...well...that's why the 'Skins didn't stay in D.C.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1990/10/10/dixon-vows-to-block-major-spending-for-stadium/f292ac9b-c4c5-42c2-8721-379b08b46c56/?utm_term=.4b0159ffd2d5

Democratic mayoral nominee Sharon Pratt Dixon said yesterday she would oppose any plan to build a replacement stadium for the Washington Redskins that requires a major financial commitment by the District -- including the financing of new roads and parking facilities.

Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke has said he would pay for construction of a new football stadium adjacent to Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium with up to 78,000 seats, while the District has indicated it would issue taxable revenue bonds to finance about $60 million worth of road improvements, new sewer and water lines and parking. Cooke and the D.C. Armory Board reportedly are close to an agreement.

"I don't think we can afford to agree to Mr. Cooke's terms," Dixon said during a luncheon meeting with Washington Post editors and reporters. "I'm going to try my best not to allow the Redskins to leave the city. But I just can't believe we can't work out something so the taxpayers don't have to pick up the tab for all this."

Date: Oct. 10, 1990

Not sure the particulars here but I do know Washington was going through some...hard times in the 1990s so good on (eventual) Mayor Dixon for not buckling but wow...the old man was still going to pay for the new stadium's construction. That's basically a deal breaker for team owners these days. 

• Like 1

The Cowboys are the team for All Or Nothing, airing Friday april 27th. In my opinion, I think a different team should have been chosen, but at least it will be on amazon prime earlier than the first two seasons :D and I guess it will be entertaining to watch jerry jones blow a gasket over the Ezekiel Elliot suspension :P 

Kinda funny. But its just us Alpha dogs

Watching the Redskins vs Cardinal right? "Mr. Nice guy" Ronde Barber lets his alpha dog out.

Earlier, I was listening to the Redskins vs Raiders beat down. On one play, the Skins defense sacks Carr twice. The second time, Doc Walker says its "Gang Bang".

Some day political correctness will end and we can get back to "free" speech.

@joeken24 did you just say you were LISTENING to the redskins vs raiders game earlier? not watching, just listening? like, to the radio broadcast? :o I know its the offseason and all, but I don't see how that could be enjoyable. i'd much rather watch a game from this past season or past seasons than just listening to a radio broadcast :rofl89:but, to each their own I guess :P