Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

Not sure this is the best place for this so apologies in advance if it's not. This is a great story about a great Redskin player. He's still tied with the Redskin record for the most TD receptions in a season with 12. Jerry Smith should be in the HOF. I remember getting his picture & autograph (and 1 of Jim 'Yazoo' Smith) at Coleman cadillac one Saturday in the 1970s. Edit: Oops...must have been 1968 the year Smith was the 1st round draft pick and only played 1 year.

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 3

Apparently there's some new kickoff proposal. Its kinda wacky but looks like it might actually be kinda cool. The gist of it is that Ks have to kick it within like the 10-15 yard line and if they miss it can go as far out as the 35 or 40 or something like that.

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Apparently there's some new kickoff proposal. It’s kinda wacky but looks like it might actually be kinda cool. The gist of it is that Ks have to kick it within like the 10-15 yard line and if they miss it can go as far out as the 35 or 40 or something like that.

And nobody can move (except the kicker and returner) until the ball is caught. Giving better chance at a return and less speed and momentum for the defending tacklers (which is the danger they’re trying to avoid, the full head of steam full field length clashes)

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Apparently there's some new kickoff proposal. Its kinda wacky but looks like it might actually be kinda cool. The gist of it is that Ks have to kick it within like the 10-15 yard line and if they miss it can go as far out as the 35 or 40 or something like that.

Welcome to the XFL!

The kicker would line up alone on his side of the field, probably around the same spot — the 35-yard line — as in the current NFL kickoff rule. The other members of the kicking team would line up far down the field, five yards apart from the blockers on the returning team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/04/nfl-xfl-kickoff-proposal/

1 hour ago, Conn said:

And nobody can move (except the kicker and returner) until the ball is caught. Giving better chance at a return and less speed and momentum for the defending tacklers (which is the danger they’re trying to avoid, the full head of steam full field length clashes)

Ohh I didn't know about that. That sounds terible to be honest.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:23 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What is a good free AI image generator with unlimited images? Or what’s a reasonably priced one? I just had a ****ing brilliant idea.

image.gif.4c1be26d8c939cb1b4600e63b47555cb.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What is a good free AI image generator with unlimited images? Or what’s a reasonably priced one? I just had a ****ing brilliant idea.

Sorry. I'm in the Wrong Random Thought Thread. To the Tailgate I go.

• 2 weeks later...

The Capitals left an empty space, in their official team photo, for their longtime Captain (and my second favorite player), Nick Backstrom.

For those who don't know, he's severely injured with possible stabdard of living complications, and  has either officially retired or is likely to do so (I can't recall the details).

image.thumb.png.efd51bce27d5bc959aed309d93ce969c.png

I just think this is such a great, classy, move, in honor of an unselfish teammate who always gave 110% on and off the ice.

He will be missed.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone else happen to catch any of the DC Defenders' game this weekend? Channel surfing and I landed on it and ex-Washington WR Kelvin Harmon had himself a respectable game - 8 catches, 101 yards and a TD. Good for him. :815:

Always liked him. He got that torn ACL, came back, but got caught up in a numbers game. I wish him well.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/fmc-mh0zhhgo5d9h887f

:229:The Rook

• Like 4

Is there any chance the nfl is slaying the golden goose or is it just too popular and no amount of fan extortion could possibly hurt them?

As an out of market fan I'm really starting to feel taken advantage of.

I get nfl sunday ticket which is now like 400 bucks and of course I still have to deal with the over abundance of commercials. 

When the games are nationally televised they aren't provided on Sunday ticket so I of course have to have a cable service which has fox and CBS.

And then there's the Thursday night games so I have to have Amazon prime.

Now it's pea**** and Netflix etc etc.

It feels like there's no end.

I have most of these services already so it's not the end of the world for me but like last years dolphins chiefs playoff game was on pea**** and I don't have that so I didn't get to see the game because I didn't want to get it just for two teams I don't care about.

Is there a limit?

If so where is it and how can we speed up the process of getting to it because it feels like the nfl needs to get that message. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is there any chance the nfl is slaying the golden goose or is it just too popular and no amount of fan extortion could possibly hurt them?

As an out of market fan I'm really starting to feel taken advantage of.

I get nfl sunday ticket which is now like 400 bucks and of course I still have to deal with the over abundance of commercials. 

When the games are nationally televised they aren't provided on Sunday ticket so I of course have to have a cable service which has fox and CBS.

And then there's the Thursday night games so I have to have Amazon prime.

Now it's pea**** and Netflix etc etc.

It feels like there's no end.

I have most of these services already so it's not the end of the world for me but like last years dolphins chiefs playoff game was on pea**** and I don't have that so I didn't get to see the game because I didn't want to get it just for two teams I don't care about.

Is there a limit?

If so where is it and how can we speed up the process of getting to it because it feels like the nfl needs to get that message. 

Unfortunately the only thing that matters these days are television ratings which the NFL dominates.

I don't see any turning back at this point, the only hope is for people not to purchase these add ons, I'm content just watching Washington and playoff games, but I'm in the minority since most people want as much content as possible. 

• Like 2

Just now, spjunkies said:

Unfortunately the only thing that matters these days are television ratings which the NFL dominates.

I don't see any turning back at this point, the only hope is for people not to purchase these add ons, I'm content just watching Washington and playoff games, but I'm in the minority since most people want as much content as possible. 

I'm content with just washington and playoff games as well but it seems lately they are making it so that in order to get even that you have to have multiple providers.

What did you do for the Thursday night games the last couple years,do you have Amazon?

Want are you going to do if we're one of the teams on Netflix this Christmas? assuming that rumor proves true.

Never thought I'd say this but lucky for us we've sucked so we haven't been a big draw for those games but that might change soon and obviously I hope it does but it's gonna get even more frustrating having to start getting hulu if they bid games or roku or whoever else decides to shell out 100 million for a game.

Pea**** has come out and said that they've made millions off that playoff game they bought and a large portion of the people who ot the service for the game have kept it so I don't see this problem getting better, every provider out there is going to start bidding if it keeps working and there ain't no way the nfl is going to develop a conscience and stop bilking us.

I see a world where eventually you'll need every major provider to watch all your teams games every season (especially if you're out of market) and I don't like that world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I'm content with just washington and playoff games as well but it seems lately they are making it so that in order to get even that you have to have multiple providers.

What did you do for the Thursday night games the last couple years,do you have Amazon?

Want are you going to do if we're one of the teams on Netflix this Christmas? assuming that rumor proves true.

Never thought I'd say this but lucky for us we've sucked so we haven't been a big draw for those games but that might change soon and obviously I hope it does but it's gonna get even more frustrating having to start getting hulu if they bid games or roku or whoever else decides to shell out 100 million for a game.

Pea**** has come out and said that they've made millions off that playoff game they bought and a large portion of the people who ot the service for the game have kept it so I don't see this problem getting better, every provider out there is going to start bidding if it keeps working and there ain't no way the nfl is going to develop a conscience and stop bilking us.

I see a world where eventually you'll need every major provider to watch all your teams games every season (especially if you're out of market) and I don't like that world.

I'm local so I think there's a law that all games have to be broadcast within the area on a local station. Honestly, if I was out if the market I'd probably just not watch or find an alternate way to not pay.

It is getting silly at this point. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

And if you're wondering (like I was) what our facility in Ashburn is called, it is now the "OrTho Virginia Training Center at Commanders Park". 

What's "Fed Ex" (stadium) called now?

Disregard, got off my ass and looked it up. Commanders Field........at least for now. 

Edited by Chris 44

I love this photo. Can you name the kicker, who was filling in for our punter that day??

Hint: it was his last NFL game after a storied career. No, its not Terry Hermeling nor Scherff nor Big Bob Dahl.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b51cc831cce370d81b77248f3824433.jpeg

You can find the answer in the box score - scoring. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I love this photo. Can you name the kicker, who was filling in for our punter that day??

Hint: it was his last NFL game after a storied career. No, its not Terry Hermeling nor Scherff nor Big Bob Dahl.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b51cc831cce370d81b77248f3824433.jpeg

You can find the answer in the box score - scoring. 

DJ for the Extra Point.  Over-the-Hill Gang add-on.

:229:The Rook

• Thumb up 1