Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Share your middle name, and why you're proud of it...

Teller

HH, are you a native of WV? I find that a lot of people in our neck of the woods go by their middle names. Matter of fact I always though it was odd to call someone by their first name unless you're in a "formal" setting. My Wife on the other hand hails from Saucier MS on the Gulf Coast and they find it strange when someone goes by their middle name instead of thier first name. When people see my first name I always get the "I thought your name was Dave". Well it is, it's just not my first name but they seemed puzzled that anyone would go by any other name than their first. What do they know? They're not only south of the Mason Dixon they're also south of I10, don't get much more backwards than that. :D

I also go by my middle name. It is Ogden, my mother's maiden name. It is old english for Oak Den, so presumably my ancestors lived in an oak forest in England somewhere, which is why the Ogden family crest is adorned with oak leaves and acorns.

My middle name is Shih-Tong (世桐).

Shih (世) is a homonym for my mother's maiden name, and it means "world," representing the fact that I was born halfway around the world from the rest of my family.

Tong (桐) is the name of a common tree in southern China from the paulownia family sometimes called the Phoenix tree ... I suppose it references my roots.

David, but to make sense of the reason I am proud of it you have to know that my first and middle are... Jonathan David.

I was named after a preacher's young son that my mom babysat when she was younger. He and his father were killed in a train vs. automobile accident.

Archived