Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Share your middle name, and why you're proud of it...

Teller

William. Named after my grandfather on my mother's side. Great guy. Owned and operated a body shop in Norfolk, Va. Some fond memories of hanging out there, (learned to love RC Cola and cuss from being there :D ). The W in that name also became the source of my nickname,(given to me by my Grandmother on my Dad's side and my mother before I was even 2), growing up. Matter of fact, on a rare occasion, both my parents have been known to use that nickname to this day.

Jay Double Trouble. :)

I dropped my middle name when I got married, it was Anne but it is now legally my maiden name which I will not share because I don't want you guys googling me ;)

It took me over a year after getting married to convince my FIL that I did NOT take my maiden name for my middle name after getting married. He just assumed that I did since my MIL & SIL both did. I was told it was a southern tradition & he gave me a hard time every time it came up...until hubby told him to just let it go & leave me alone! :applause: :cloud9:

My middle name is Marie. As a kid I knew I was in trouble when my mother would raise an eyebrow, use "that tone" & say "Miss Marie!" Forget yelling my full name..."Miss Marie" was enough to stop me in my tracks! :laugh:

Hmmmm...I'll have to remember that next time I sign up for a message board...that would be a neat username. Pity I didn't think of it before.

HH, are you a native of WV? I find that a lot of people in our neck of the woods go by their middle names. Matter of fact I always though it was odd to call someone by their first name unless you're in a "formal" setting. My Wife on the other hand hails from Saucier MS on the Gulf Coast and they find it strange when someone goes by their middle name instead of thier first name. When people see my first name I always get the "I thought your name was Dave". Well it is, it's just not my first name but they seemed puzzled that anyone would go by any other name than their first. What do they know? They're not only south of the Mason Dixon they're also south of I10, don't get much more backwards than that. :D

No, I actually grew up in Cumberland, MD, which is...well...West Virginia North, but I'm not officially a native. (However, I have exceeded the five-year residency requirement, that allows me to use the term, "West By-God.") :)

I didn't grow up all that far from you, but no, up there, no one really went by middle names.

Funny though, my granddad grew up in Crisfield, MD, and down there, no one went by ANY real name; everyone had nicknames. My granddad and his two brothers were known as "Chick," "Pick," and "Hick." :doh: :laugh:

Edward. Same middle name as my father (RIP- love ya Dad) and my son. Also the same as my father-in-law.

My daughter's middle name is Joy, after my mother (RIP- love ya Mom).

Definitely feel the connections when I see their full names. :)

That's beautiful, man. Seriously.

This doesn't begin to approach your story, but I don't know if I ever told you how we named my oldest daughter.

My granddad's name was Charles Lacy Lowe. The man was, and is, my hero. And I miss him with every fiber of my being.

Well, my wife and I decided that we were going to give any boys we had "J" names, after me, and any girls "L" names after her.

One afternoon, after one of her final prenatal appointments, we were having lunch, and she looked across the table at me, and just said, "Lacy."

I swear to God, at that point, I got a feeling like I've never had before or since, like my granddad himself came down and hugged me. I don't know if I ever even said yes, but there was no doubt. Lacy it was. :)

No, I actually grew up in Cumberland, MD,

Funny though, my granddad grew up in Crisfield, MD, and down there, no one went by ANY real name; everyone had nicknames. My granddad and his two brothers were known as "Chick," "Pick," and "Hick." :doh: :laugh:

My father and his two brothers grew up in Cumberland.

And the nicknames part about Crisfield is SOOOOOO true

Major, do you know David Cavalier? Lived over in Harpers Ferry, ya'll should be about the same age. Anyway, his real name was David Crockett Daniel Boone Cavalier. Only in WV, only in WV. He went by David Daniel I think. We called him Little D, since his Dad was Big D, go figure.

no, i don't know him. he may have been my hero if i had known him, i loved some davy crockett growing up. ah the days of the little 45, with the accompanying book. i think i learned to read to the tune of "davy, davy crockett, king of the wild frontier!"

Archived