Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

I enjoyed the fight and the rest of the main card was ok.  Davis/Fonseca was disappointing.  I think it was pretty obvious that McGregor only lasted into the 10th round because Mayweather allowed it.  Mayweather was smiling/smirking through the first three rounds and didn't hardly break a sweat the entire time and certainly wasn't tired.

Of course Mayweather would get destroyed in the octagon, he's not a trained MMA fighter, doesn't mean he is scared.  And he has absolutely no reason to do it, nothing to prove.  And McGregor wouldn't have a future in professional boxing, imo, that is just silly talk.  He should be happy about his pay day and focus on UFC.

• Like 3

I think the entire "he let him hit him on purpose" narrative is a little condescending from the boxing keyboardists.  I'm not picking anyone out in this thread.  I simply see some SERIOUS, "you don't know anything about boxing if you think...______" on the interweb.  I read these dudes talk people down on Facebook, then go to their FB pages, and they look like the closest to boxing they've ever got was boxing-up doughnuts at the bakery.

I saw some good accuracy from Conor, I saw an effective pawing jab.  I saw some good footwork and times of good head movement.  No, I didn't see some magician in there, but I think he deserves credit.  I think it would've been ugly and dangerous if Floyd attacked early.  Conor was super active, and it became his downfall.  I think his biggest mistake was coming out punching in bunches every round.  Floyd noticed the fatigue, started moving forward, and that was IT for the gas tank

By no means am I saying Conor should continue boxing.  It was a cool moment in combat history.  MMA has been right outside of the main stream in America for about 12 years now.  I think this match helped MMA.  It introduced a hell of a character to a large boxing audience.  A lot of them have probably Googled McGregor, then clicked on Nate Diaz, or Jose Aldo, then clicked on the people they've faced.  That's how I got to know the history of MMA, surfing fighter records and clicking on intriguing names that they faced.  Title bouts, names that ring a bell.

Heck, you could probably reach Royce Gracie on Wikipedia via record-surfing, starting with McGregor, in like 5 clicks.  Some of the connections are insane.

The trash talk was awesome, McGregor at the "you can't even read" presser was in rare form.  Classic promo.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I saw some good accuracy from Conor, I saw an effective pawing jab.  I saw some good footwork and times of good head movement.  No, I didn't see some magician in there, but I think he deserves credit.  I think it would've been ugly and dangerous if Floyd attacked early.  Conor was super active, and it became his downfall.  I think his biggest mistake was coming out punching in bunches every round.  Floyd noticed the fatigue, started moving forward, and that was IT for the gas tank

Ugly and dangerous for whom if Floyd attacked early?

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

Ugly and dangerous for whom if Floyd attacked early?

I think Floyd would've been playing with hotter fire if he threw hands early, but that's not him, he's a masterful gameplanner.  Totally understood.  Not taking anything away from Floyd, or the rest of boxing.  I agree with most assessments on if Conor fought a top boxer of this day.  That said, I didn't think Floyd wanted to get hit in the first 3-4 rounds like he did.  Not a conspiracy, he got touched up a bit.  No biggie, it's boxing, he's 40, out of the game for a while.  Kind of thought Conor would go blitz-mode early on, but he decided to box...and....well, pitty pat the top of the head?  lol.  That **** was funny.

When he'd take Floyd's back, all I could think of was this:

tenor.gif

8 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I think the entire "he let him hit him on purpose" narrative is a little condescending from the boxing keyboardists.  I'm not picking anyone out in this thread.  I simply see some SERIOUS, "you don't know anything about boxing if you think...______" on the interweb.  I read these dudes talk people down on Facebook, then go to their FB pages, and they look like the closest to boxing they've ever got was boxing-up doughnuts at the bakery.

By no means am I saying Conor should continue boxing.  It was a cool moment in combat history.  MMA has been right outside of the main stream in America for about 12 years now.  I think this match helped MMA.  It introduced a hell of a character to a large boxing audience.  A lot of them have probably Googled McGregor, then clicked on Nate Diaz, or Jose Aldo, then clicked on the people they've faced.  That's how I got to know the history of MMA, surfing fighter records and clicking on intriguing names that they faced.  Title bouts, names that ring a bell.

Heck, you could probably reach Royce Gracie on Wikipedia via record-surfing, starting with McGregor, in like 5 clicks.  Some of the connections are insane.

The trash talk was awesome, McGregor at the "you can't even read" presser was in rare form.  Classic promo.

I'm not saying he didn't get some good shots in.  But Mayweather did what he does, go on the defensive the first 3-4 rounds, then plan his attack.  The first three rounds Floyd was on the defensive, letting him show him what he had.  McGregor threw a total of 115 punches to Mayweathers 28 through three rounds.  Of course he didn't let McGregor hit him on purpose, he got some good shots in, but nothing that appeared to hurt Floyd.  

When I was saying that Mayweather allowed it to go 10 rounds, it was based off how he handled the first four rounds, basically sizing his opponent up.  I really think if he had come out and gone after McGregor in the first, the fight would have been over within 5 rounds and not in the 10th.  I will give Conor props on making to the 10th, when it was obvious he was fatigued and tired after the 5th round.  We thought he might not make it past the 6th or 7th at that point of the fight.

I don't think he would consider a boxing career and he shouldn't, he's a champion in MMA, that's what he does best.  When I said he wouldn't have a future in professional boxing, it wasn't saying that he does not have the ability to improve and get better over time at it, I just don't see him reaching the level of success and being an actual contender.  Heck, he's 29 years old already, which I think is a little to late to try and make a switch at this point (just my opinion).  Time is not on any athletes side.

I still had a blast watching the fight though.  I'm trying to get back into watching more boxing and MMA fights.  I've been out of the loop for a while.

• Like 1

I wonder if Amir Khan is serious about making the switch to UFC?  As far as I can recall, he'd be the most accomplished boxer to make the switch to MMA among the men by far.  It's always been a little disappointing to me that the boxers won't migrate to UFC like wrestlers and Asian martial artists.  I enjoy watching muay tai and I do respect Brazilian jiu jitsu, but I wouldn't mind seeing the UFC become a little more western boxing-centric.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wonder if Amir Khan is serious about making the switch to UFC?  As far as I can recall, he'd be the most accomplished boxer to make the switch to MMA among the men by far.  It's always been a little disappointing to me that the boxers won't migrate to UFC like wrestlers and Asian martial artists.  I enjoy watching muay tai and I do respect Brazilian jiu jitsu, but I wouldn't mind seeing the UFC become a little more western boxing-centric.

James Toney did it, but he was already punch drunk, let alone past his prime.  Khan's handspeed would be intriguing, but his chin is already weak, can't imagine what happens when he take a hit from 4oz gloves.

Boxers have very little financial incentive to go to MMA as they can earn more in their own sport.  Wrestlers, jiu-jitsu and other martial artists pretty much get their income from instructing and seminars, its worth it to them financially to make the jump.

For as much as MMA has grown, the compensations has not been proportional for the fighters, with the exception of three or four.  The UFC didn't help by switching to Reebok and cutting out all other fighter sponsors.  Reebok & the UFC negotiated a price, and the fighters got ****ed.  MMA really needs a union.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Unless they have a martial arts background, I'd imagine that it would be hard for them to become advanced enough in martial arts, kick boxing, etc. to legitimately have a chance at a career in it.  The only professional boxer I can think of that actually made it a true career was Butterbean.  And IIRC he won a belt once, but mainly fought lesser tier opponents right?  

Plus $$$.  They can make more boxing than in the MMA.

People seem to forget Ray Mercer beating the daylights out of Tim Sylvia in MMA.

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So why don't more MMA fighters migrate to boxing since the earning potential is greater?

Edited by DM72
  • Like 1

My main question is where do y'all watch all these boxing matches?  Is it PPV only?  Or is it on HBO and Showtime, they used to show some live fights IIRC and the PPVs a week after.  There are so many weight classes to keep up with that I can't imagine every fight is aired.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

My main question is where do y'all watch all these boxing matches?  Is it PPV only?  Or is it on HBO and Showtime, they used to show some live fights IIRC and the PPVs a week after.  There are so many weight classes to keep up with that I can't imagine every fight is aired.

its all over really. sometimes on Showtime & HBO, sometimes on PPV.  ESPN and fox sports 1 will have cards every now and then.

the ppv model seems to be dying off in boxing though, there are only 2 or 3 fighters or fights capable of being profitable on PPV

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Unless they have a martial arts background, I'd imagine that it would be hard for them to become advanced enough in martial arts, kick boxing, etc. to legitimately have a chance at a career in it.  The only professional boxer I can think of that actually made it a true career was Butterbean.  And IIRC he won a belt once, but mainly fought lesser tier opponents right?  

Plus $$$.  They can make more boxing than in the MMA.

Cody Garbrandt has a history of boxing. Not sure he could have gone pro but has an amateur record of 32-0. 

Something else McGregor didn't seem to take into account, or maybe knew but just didn't say so, was that his punching power was going to be severely reduced wearing boxing gloves.

The best punch of the fight that he landed was very early, it was an uppercut that landed square, and Mayweather walked through it like it was nothing.  I am not saying this to insult McGregor, I am using it as an example that in boxing, the MMA-style flash KO's are rare, even by guys who have the punching power to pull it off.   In MMA, because of the size of the gloves, one punch will knock a guy out or at least off his marbles enough to end the fight quick.

In Boxing it is usually 99% about the accumulation of punishment.  Yes, there are some early round KO's, usually by a very over-matched opponent verus an aggressive killer, but more times then not, it is about breaking your opponent down, seeing where they are getting weak and attacking that over the course of a handful of rounds.

You put McGregor in there against a guy like Cotto, or Canelo, or GGG and they are not going to be using 3-4 rounds to feel Conor out.  They will be returning fire fast & heavy from the get-go if Conor wants to walk straight forward/backwards and have a slug fest. 

Mayweather moved forward a lot more then he has in a long time.  He also got hit more then he has in a long time for his efforts.  Trust me, if Floyd had felt a Conor punch that gave him a "wake up" call or second thought, he would have reverted back to being a defensive counter puncher, but the fact that he was the one coming forward 90% of this fight says all you need to know about the lack of respect he had for Conor the boxer. 

• Like 2

They had a crowd of 14,623 which is more than 6,000 less than the last major card at the T-Mobile arena which was Canelo vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. They simply overpriced this event. $500 for nosebleeds was ridiculous.

Still waiting on those PPV #'s. 

Edited by DM72

Dana White said the PPV #'s are about 6.5 million. DAMN! If true, it shatters the Mayweather/Pacquiao PPV #'s. Gonna be hard to top that. Doesn't take into consideration the millions who illegally streamed it. Even with the server issues and PPV refunds issued, that is still a lot of buys.

Supposedly, Floyd will get about $350+ and McGregor about $120. Conor doesn't ever have to fight again with that kind of security. Take your talents to Hollywood and enjoy life! He earned it. LOL!