Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

15 hours ago, DM72 said:

The best part was when they had Bud Crawford on. Did it sound like he was avoiding Spence? Probably not, but he stated that Keith Thurman is his priority at welterweight.

Nah, he isn't avoiding Spence. He said it correctly, Thurman is the universally recognized top guy at welterweight. That's who he wants, the top dog. If Spence gets to him Thurman first, then Spence is the top dog.  No fear in Bud for either guy. I think he beats Thurman, but loses to Spence. Thurman just gotta get healthy first. That elbow surgery may really affect his boxing style. He will definitely need a tune up fight before getting thrown to the wolves.

44 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

LOL! The hate for Floyd is still strong with Larry Merchant. He took control of his own career and became the highest paid athlete in the world, not just boxing. Now, some boxers want to follow his blueprint. Nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and family financially. We know the promoters and boxing commissions won't do it. Once you can't fight anymore, they have no use for you and don't care about you. It's literally the next man up philosophy.

His money persona, his boxing style that wasn't appealing to most casual fans and his outside the ring conduct had a lot of folks despising him. Those folks paid money to see him get beat. All it did was fuel his desire to keep winning and keep making MILLIONS. Not a bad way to go out, undefeated and filthy rich. 

Now, it's time for the next generation of stars (Canelo, GGG, D.Wilder, A. Joshua, E. Spence, T. Crawford, K. Thurman, M. Garcia, Loma, Rigo, Charlo bros, Benavides, etc.) to make their mark on the sport.

My problem with Floyd is that he avoided the best when they were at their best. I don't know if you saw Oscar, Max and even Stephen A throw shade on Floyd's career. Very interesting.

Plus, this has to be brought up. First he defends Donald Sterling, now he's defending Donald Trump? Two racist? The man's an embarrassment.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that. Floyd isn't the brightest guy. He's a savvy businessman at times. But he's still an ignorant dude when it comes to matters of social importance.

Who did Floyd truly avoid in their prime? Not Delahoya, Cotto, Mosley. Pacquiao is the only questionable one and there plenty of excuses on both sides for that fight. Margarito was a financial issue. Paul Williams wasn't a big enough name and money was an issue.  Acelino "PoPo" Freitas didn't want to fight. At the lighter weights, guys avoided Floyd like the plague. 

I gotta check on Tsyzu. That one doesn't ring a bell. The rest had major or minor issues, depending on your POV, why those fights weren't made or delayed. 

The Cotto fight never happened due to Bob Arum. He said Cotto wasn't ready. But as soon as Cotto became a promotional free agent, the fight got made and Cotto made millions. 

Round 7 and 8 to GGG.  Mostly because he's the busier fighter and Canelo is too happy to back up into the ropes. 

GGG took some big shots in round 9 and didn't seem to notice them.  He took the 9th as well and at this point the fight looks inevitably GGGs.  

Edited by Destino