Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

• 2 weeks later...

1972 was the first year of the current helmet.  If I had to guess, the gold helmet above was a prototype design or what the makers of the ponchos thought the helmet would like before the final design of the helmet was decided on.

Gee, the "gold" on the Redskins' helmet looks just like the "yellow" on the Packers' helmet.

And the Packers' "yellow" pants. If people like the Packers' and Lombardi's hand-me-downs, who are we to judge?

At least the cheerleaders kept their sense of color coordination.

redskins-cheerleaders-norfolk.jpg

Edited by Hunter_R
  • Like 1

I think you may be right Stephen B.  I did see an NFL lunch box years ago that had the same yellow/gold coloring as the one on the poncho design.  It wasn't a dedicated Redskins lunchbox.. one of those general NFL lunchboxes with all the teams on it that comes out before the season starts.

There's a really good article about how Lombardi changed the uniforms to match the Packers' uniforms here:

http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2012/12/theres-something-about-those-socks.html

Not a lot of new info, but some things I found to be interesting were: Lombardi's brother was a sporting goods supplier for Rawlings and he was awarded the contract for outfitting the Redskins new uniforms - apparently Rawlings had a lighter shade of burgundy (and I assume gold) and that is one of the reasons for the color switch.  Also, it says Coach Lombardi was color blind, so the Redskins new uniforms would look exactly like the uniforms of the Packers to him.

Comparison images from the site:

Packers-Skins_Compare_zps19b47b6e.jpg

Packers-Skins_Compare2_zpsbd3be46a.jpg

That being said, a lighter bugundy was alread in the Redskins color palette on the tip of the feather in these uniforms:

redskinfeatherhelmetgroup_zps82a7f596.jp

On a side note: I think the yellow/gold helmet would look better with these uniforms because it has the same stripe.

Edited by throwback37

I really love the 60s era uniforms that we used. I believe these were used in the mid- to late-1960s:

sonny_jurgensen_1967_10_22.jpg

4952sj.jpg

I believe these were used in the early-1960s:

redskins5.jpg

johnny+o.jpg

The uniforms are similar and basic, but I love both helmets. It would be cool incorporate that imagery at some point (maybe even change out the decals for home/road games or something). 

Since I'm not sure the retro look will win out these days, I would also like a newer take with these elements. For example, the concepts below are pretty attractive:

Jesse-Alkire1.png

pro-comabt-skins-uni-2.png

• Like 4

I've always loved that photo of Sam Huff staring Johnny Unitas down with the fog in the background at (what appears to be) RFK. Anyone know what game that was and what the result was?

Baltimore Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas (#19) calls a play during a foggy game against Sam Huff (#70) and the Washington Redskins defense at Memorial Stadium.

Baltimore, Maryland 12/13/1964

Colts - 45   Redskins - 17

Baltimore Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas (#19) calls a play during a foggy game against Sam Huff (#70) and the Washington Redskins defense at Memorial Stadium.

Baltimore, Maryland 12/13/1964

Colts - 45   Redskins - 17

Score doesn't surprise me. The Redskins defense in those days was horri-awful.

I thought it was at RFK since when I think of Memorial, I always thing of the open side of the stadium with all the trees and the score board. I forgot it was in a horseshoe shape. Also, I thought the Colts wore blue at home. Guess I need to watch some more NFL Films.

I wonder which stadium was crazier back in the day: Memorial or RFK.

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 1

What's amazing to me is that no one has pointed out that we wore all whites in the '60. With the love that combo gets you'd think any pictorial evidence would get more attention.

There doesn't appear to be ANY gold on those uniforms OR helmets.

• 1 month later...

Are we rocking retros again this year. I know the league rules screwed up the helmets. if not I hope burgundy pants return.

I love those throwbacks more than anything ever but if and ONLY IF they are accompanied by the faux leather helmets.

That thing they did last year when the regular helmets and the throwbacks...just...no...

I love those throwbacks more than anything ever but if and ONLY IF they are accompanied by the faux leather helmets.

That thing they did last year when the regular helmets and the throwbacks...just...no...

Yeah I still don't think I've recovered. It's been 3 years. I'd like to see the return of the burg pants, or an all white. Gotta change it up from the gold pants

Gold pants look great. Burgundy shirts, gold pants is the sharpest uniform the team has ever had.

Correct. 

:)

Score doesn't surprise me. The Redskins defense in those days was horri-awful.

I thought it was at RFK since when I think of Memorial, I always thing of the open side of the stadium with all the trees and the score board. I forgot it was in a horseshoe shape. Also, I thought the Colts wore blue at home. Guess I need to watch some more NFL Films.

I wonder which stadium was crazier back in the day: Memorial or RFK.

I think a few teams wore white at home back then: I know the LA Rams did, Cowboys, and I think the Colts also....

To each his own, Sinister.

I, for one, think the black cleats under the gold pants is freakin' amazing with burg or white tops.

Yeah I was talking about the burg pants, actually. Black cleats and gold pants is a pretty neutral look imo. Not in love with it, but I don't hate it either

Edited by Mr. Sinister