Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

My guess is tonight they will wear the burgundy jerseys with white pants. 

Burgundy with Gold pants per the team's Twitter account. 

Yeah I was talking about the burg pants, actually. Black cleats and gold pants is a pretty neutral look imo. Not in love with it, but I don't hate it either

I think white cleats would look much cleaner. 

post-210359-0-64089600-1407441274_thumb.

Yeah I still don't think I've recovered. It's been 3 years. I'd like to see the return of the burg pants, or an all white. Gotta change it up from the gold pants

You know we were already boys, but after this statement, you really cemented your legacy in my opinion. 

#AllWhiteEveryThing

2005_Redskins_on_the_field_-_2.jpg

Bring them back!

• Like 1

You know we were already boys, but after this statement, you really cemented your legacy in my opinion. 

#AllWhiteEveryThing

Bring them back!

Yeah I started to hate it after awhile because we would always wear it, but absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. Haven't seen those bad boys since the "Stay Medium" days.

Was it my eyes or did the jerseys look darker (more burgundy, then red) and actually came close to matching our helmets?

Think that's just how they always look during night games. I always feel like when we play under the lights our jerseys look darker.

• Like 1

Think that's just how they always look during night games. I always feel like when we play under the lights our jerseys look darker.

yeah I mentioned that a few pages ago how lighting (artificial and sunlight) affects the way our jerseys look (when bombarded with "Omg we wear red/yellow" posts)

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

It was your eyes. i was at the game. They were exactly the same.

It could be.  I feel like my eyes are getting worse every year.  Hell, sometimes I have to put on my glasses to watch my 42" HDTV.  And I'm near sighted.  I think my astigmatism acts up and things get blurry.

I'll check it during the day games to see if I notice a difference.  I know a lot of fans have complained that the jersey color isn't dark enough to match the helmet in years past.

Burgandy Pants or White pants.  I guess if you were determined to keep yellow, model them after the Burgandy with Yellow and White stripe and make them yellow with burgandy and white stripe (similar to 90's look).  I really like the all white uniforms as well.

Burgundy on Gold should be worn every home game, but Dallas.  For that one home game, White jerseys.

For all road games, switch it up week to week.  White on White, White on Gold, or White on Burgundy.  For the Dallas away game, Burgundy on White.

I like the throwbacks just fine, but not at the expense of the Burgundy pants.  Ditch the throwbacks (especially since they can't wear the faux leather helmet) and bring back the burgundy pants.

• Like 2

From the time we brought them back I was all about the gold pants. But now they have been back a few years I am over them with the white jersey. Still love them with the burgundy jerseys, but I am ready to bring back the burdundy pants with white jerseys. Ditch white pants completly.

• Like 6

Burgundy tops/Gold pants - Home

White tops/Burgundy pants - Road

White tops/Gold pants - Alt 1

Burgundy tops/ White pants - Alt 2

White/White - Alt 3

It's not hard. I would be fine with any rotation that consisted of that. I don't need ugly throwback mud uniforms or anything else. Just stick to the above that will be consist of all combos we have worn in some fashion over the last 40 years.

Then update the uniforms so that the pants/sleeves/socks/helmet all have the same number of stripes or an all new stripe pattern. The two stripes on the white and burgundy pants need to go. Bring in something fresh to tie all the stripe designs together and call it a day.

• Like 2

Burgundy tops/Gold pants - Home

White tops/Burgundy pants - Road

White tops/Gold pants - Alt 1

Burgundy tops/ White pants - Alt 2

White/White - Alt 3

It's not hard. I would be fine with any rotation that consisted of that. I don't need ugly throwback mud uniforms or anything else. Just stick to the above that will be consist of all combos we have worn in some fashion over the last 40 years.

Then update the uniforms so that the pants/sleeves/socks/helmet all have the same number of stripes or an all new stripe pattern. The two stripes on the white and burgundy pants need to go. Bring in something fresh to tie all the stripe designs together and call it a day.

That is my biggest pet peeve.  The stripes are just all over the map, they need to be cleaned up, then go with what you said, re: uni combos.  Except for Dallas...Home Dallas = White on Burgundy.  Away Dallas = Burg on White or Burg on Gold.

The only "crazy" thing I'd do is introduce a Gold Jersey.  I think the Burgundy Helmet / Gold Jersey / Burgundy Pants would look pretty cool.

Edited by Diesel Hog
  • Like 1

While recently perusing an old thread regarding images of Redskins logos, I found mention of a vintage football helmet site called HelmetHut.  Once there, I discovered an interesting factoid -- which is quoted below -- that offers an answer to the old "Burgundy, or not Burgundy?" question.

[...] Sand Knit was the predominate manufacturer of the Redskins jerseys from 1957 to 1968.  Vince Lombardi's brother-in-law was a sales rep for Rawlings, so out with the losing tradition and in with new jerseys from Rawlings, but just days before the season a serious issue was discovered. 

For a decade the Redskins had always worn dark burgundy jerseys with a burgundy or dark plumb colored helmet.  After opening the boxes there was going to be a serious fashion faux pas, the jerseys were the wrong color.   All helmets were quickly taken in the back equipment room stripped of their 9 part spear decals and spray painted the new lighter color of cardinal.  Let’s face it, with just days to go, it was much easier to paint the helmets than to change the color of the jerseys. [...] 

The in-laws may have unintentionally changed the helmet color in 1969, but Lombardi changed the design completely in 1970. He wanted to bring the prestige and look of his championship Packers to the Washington Redskins. Sadly his illness prohibited him from ever coaching while this helmet style [e.g. the "R"-within-the-dreamcatcher logo] took the field.

So there you have it.  No, we don't wear "burgundy" or "plumb" as part of our base color-scheme anymore.  Yes, we do wear (depending on the year or era in question) some species of cardinal.  Which is so obvious when you look at something like, say, this shirt with the throwback Chief Red Cloud logo versus this shirt featuring RG3 -- both of which I happen to own, and the differences in color are plain to the naked eye.