Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

• 2 weeks later...

Cain Velasquez faces attempted murder charge for alleged shooting incident in San Jose

Cain Velasquez has been arrested and charged with attempted murder after an alleged shooting incident that occurred Monday afternoon in San Jose, Calif., according to an official statement from the San Jose Police Department’s s media relations team Tuesday morning.

Click on the link for the full article

So Colby worked over Masvidal pretty well this past Saturday.  Not surprised as Colby is just a better wrestler and his cardio is off the charts.  Masvidal did have a few moments and he actually had Colby staggered & stunned but didn't follow up at all and it allowed Colby to recover.  

I still don't buy the narrative that Colby is far and away the second best at 170lbs besides Usman.  Not yet at least.  He still hasn't fought anyone currently ranked in the Top 5.  Masvidal was #6  but I think that ranking is a bit gifted in order to add fuel to that fight.  I want to see Colby against guys like Burns, Luque, Edwards, and now Khazmat before I am ready to just annoint him the second best WW.  I don't like Dana basically letting Colby fight guys who are on losing streaks and/or way past their prime in order to build his resume for another title shot.  If he is going to keep  his #2 ranking in the division he should be fighting the guys just below him. 

I have a feeling 170lbs is going to be owned by Khazmat sooner than later though and Dana might want one last big money showdown between Usman & Colby before Khazmat gets in there with either one with an opportunity to spoil it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

What a twisted night.  Chandler almost kills Ferguson with a KOTY candidate, Rose lays an all-time egg and kinda turned heel in doing so, then Oliveira comes back and subs Justin without leaving with the strap.  I feel a little disturbed.

Shogun-OSP was another total stinker as well

1 hour ago, method man said:

Shogun-OSP was another total stinker as well

I didn't see that.  Maybe I shouldn't.  Rose has me baffled.  I kept thinking her right hand was injured.  When she did throw it, it was all-arm.  I dunno, that shocked me.  Heel turn is all I can think.

She got up and out of Esparza's takedowns and back control almost immediately!  **** her up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread seems to have died, but if anyone has ESPN+ and is going to watch Dana White's contender series tonight, I'd appreciate any feedback you have on Bo Nickal.  He was a three time NCAA champ in wrestling at Penn State and I'm curious how he transitions to MMA, whether he looks like he has a future, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone watch the card last night?

Pretty amazing turn of events.  First Rockholds turns zombie in his (apparent) swan song fight.  When I look it Rockhold's performance it reminds me why I felt he was the best at 185lbs when he initially came over from Strikeforce.  Love him or hate him, it's still unfortunate his career derailed almost instantly after he dominated Wiedman to win the belt.  He went out like a warrior against Costa.

I am not sure if Aldo is just too old and broken down now or if he was just so worried about the grappling.

Props to Edwards. If he learned anything in a fight in which he dominated against Diaz, it's never let your guard down or rest up against your opponent.  Edwards had a very impressive first round, the first time we've seen Usman in real trouble since Burns popped him good, but Usman did what Usman does and turned the fight around into a dominant performance well on his way to a 49-46 decision when lightning struck.  So similar to Dominik Cruz getting smashed in the face with a leg kick a couple weeks ago, but 100x more surprising.  Usman didn't  go into defensive cruise control in round 5 despite easily being up on the cards, and he paid the ultimate price. I'd imagine they are running this one back, maybe Super Bowl Saturday is free?  Maybe they fly to London for it?  Going to be huge!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested to see how this Penn State wrestling - MMA pipeline develops.  Phil Davis was the first years ago, but Bo Nickal has started making waves and Anthony Cassar has made his debut.  There was also a guy named Ed Ruth but his career seems to have fizzled out in Bellator.

Also saw that the UFC entered some sort of partnership with Iowa wrestling.  I watch plenty of college wrestling so it will be interesting to see how many of these kids start making the transition if their Olympic dreams don't work out.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What a KO!  Did Adesanya play possum at the end?  Seemed like he turtled up for no reason, looked like he was hurt maybe? Pareira reacted like a predator and moved in for the kill, but as soon as he dropped his hands to tee off he got blasted into dark lands instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...