Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

18 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

His leg kicks are underrated.  They destroy, dude.  Why doesn't anyone talk about that? Ow, mother****er.

Is Costa, Paulo Fihlo 2.0?  History repeats itself...

I agree, and did give them their proper due, in my post, when I said that may be his best chance at winning.

• Like 1

I think the easiest pick of the 3 title fights is Nunes but I can't shake this (probably foolish) notion that everybody loses at some point. Anderson has size and strength, which is something only Cyborg had going into her fight with Amanda. If... IF she shocks the universe by beating Nunes I think it would most likely come in the form of a decision via some good groundwork or maybe a submission. I'm obviously not "picking" Anderson here but jeez I just have to wonder if the ghost of Buster Douglas will somehow possess Megan Anderson on saturday night. 

Edit- Also, keep in mind that Amanda and her wife just had a baby. 

Anyway, my picks...

Rakic over Silva (TKO- most fighters are never the same after facing Bones and that knee caused a lot of time off for Thiago.)

Dober over Mackachev (KO upset- Islam getting a ton of hype but I like Dober's confidence and power.)

Yan over Sterling (Late TKO- Sterling will start faster and stronger but Petr gets better every round.)

Nunes over Anderson (Early TKO- but man, I have a weird feeling here. I know. I'm crazy.)

Adesanya over Blachowicz (Unanimous Decision and a boring fight. Israel's not going to take any chances. As @Malapropismic Depository mentioned, we could even see a similar fight to the Adesanya-Romero snoozer.)

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I think the easiest pick of the 3 title fights is Nunes but I can't shake this (probably foolish) notion that everybody loses at some point. Anderson has size and strength, which is something only Cyborg had going into her fight with Amanda. If... IF she shocks the universe by beating Nunes

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like all of the women's title "changes" were "shocks to the world" and huge upsets.

Going back all the way to Rousey ;

Almost noone expected Rousey to lose to Holm

Same with Holm losing to Tate.

And Tate losing to Nunes.

And in other division ; Cyborg losing to Nunes.

And that Polish girl, too. I can't remember her name, suddenly

So basically, the women's divisions are unpredictable and anyone's guess in a title match ;)

Of course all fights are that way to a degree, but especially very true in women's.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Just read that Izzy expects to be under 200 lbs for the fight.  Pretty crazy. 

Yea I heard.

I'm guessing he primarily wants to keep his speed, since that will be a critical factor in his strategy.

And the other reason being, there's less adjustments he has to make, in multiple areas, if he fights closer to his previous weight.

But at the same time, it could be a disadvantage - I mean, will his legs have enough beef to do enough damage to a thick fighter like Jan ?

Perhaps, if he is able to be sniper-like, to time and place those kicks in a way that one kick could do significant damage.

But one thing I'm pretty certain of, is - that Adesanya's main strategy will be to ; One - maintain distance and reach (for both arms and legs) Two - Chop at him relentlessly with the legs, and Three - Retreat somewhat, back to proper range, after each kick.

I expect practically no close engaging by him.

Has me wondering though - could Jan's best chance be to go the "phone booth" method, and clinch, clinch, clinch ? In order to negate that reach advantage, and speed advantage ?

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea I heard.

I'm guessing he primarily wants to keep his speed, since that will be a critical factor in his strategy.

And the other reason being, there's less adjustments he has to make, in multiple areas, if he fights closer to his previous weight.

But at the same time, it could be a disadvantage - I mean, will his legs have enough beef to do enough damage to a thick fighter like Jan ?

Perhaps, if he is able to be sniper-like, to time and place those kicks in a way that one kick could do significant damage.

But one thing I'm pretty certain of, is - that Adesanya's main strategy will be to ; One - maintain distance and reach (for both arms and legs) Two - Chop at him relentlessly with the legs, and Three - Retreat somewhat, back to proper range, after each kick.

I expect practically no close engaging by him.

Has me wondering though - could Jan's best chance be to go the "phone booth" method, and clinch, clinch, clinch ? In order to negate that reach advantage, and speed advantage ?

Yeah, I haven't seen Izzy in the clinch or on his back much.  Would like to see that tested.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Yeah, I haven't seen Izzy in the clinch or on his back much.  Would like to see that tested.

I think I'm going to re-watch his fights against Vettori and Gastellum.

Those were the closest that he came to losing, I think.

Those opponents may have tried clinching, if I remember right.

But I would really like to see re-matches between Adesanya, against either Vettori, or Gastellum, and of course Whittaker.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think I'm going to re-watch his fights against Vettori and Gastellum.

Those were the closest that he came to losing, I think.

Those opponents may have tried clinching, if I remember right.

But I would really like to see re-matches between Adesanya, against either Vettori, or Gastellum, and of course Whittaker.

I watched the Gastellum and Whittaker fights recently.  Both of them looked really good against Adesanya.  Wittaker has really fast hands.  Those exchanges are like blurs.  It took me 3 rewinds to actually see what Adesanya knocked him out with.  Short left hand in a wild exchange.  Adesanya has a crazy sense for not getting blasted, but it does seem a bit on the risky side of approaches.  Isn't afraid to mix it up, rolls with punches, even takes them pretty darn flush.  I think he's mostly revered for his speed and technique, but dude has shown some major toughness from what I've seen.

Izzy is the closest thing to a Floyd Mayweather in MMA.  Sort of like Anderson Silva was in his prime.  The similar style of using reach, distance, and throwing punches from all angles.  That is his equalizer.  He doesn't simply walk to the center of the octagon and swing.  He lures you in and slips your attack, then clocks you from an angle you weren't prepared for.  Obviously by moving up in weight he is flirting a little more with the danger zone, but I think ultimately he wins this fight.

Nunes is officially in "until I see it, I won't believe it" territory, for pretty much any opponent except Valentina, and even that she would be favored in (for a hypothetical 3rd match, I still think Valetina won the rematch) because she is naturally bigger.  Megan Anderson has the goods on paper to give a good showing if she is able to use her reach & distance to fend Nunes off, but Nunes seems to just crumple her opponents with her right hand and they have a hard time recovering.   

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it seems like all of the women's title "changes" were "shocks to the world" and huge upsets.

Going back all the way to Rousey ;

Almost noone expected Rousey to lose to Holm

Same with Holm losing to Tate.

And Tate losing to Nunes.

And in other division ; Cyborg losing to Nunes.

And that Polish girl, too. I can't remember her name, suddenly

So basically, the women's divisions are unpredictable and anyone's guess in a title match ;)

Of course all fights are that way to a degree, but especially very true in women's.

Solid reply! 

Megan Anderson is on the last fight of her UFC contract. If she can pull off an upset, she'll get rich on the resigning because Dana will want that rematch. If Amanda wins, that could be it for the 145 lb division. She will have cleaned it out entirely.

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

I don't think Nunes beating Tate was surprising.  I also thought the fans were close to being split evenly picking Nunes vs. Cyborg.  If Nunes were to lose this fight, it would be insane.  On the surface, not cosidering Ronda's popularity at the time, crazier than Holm/Rousey.

I will say the girl Megan Anderson is strong and long.  Has some power.  I think Nunes is way too fast and vicious for her.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:22 PM, NoCalMike said:

So for Saturday I'm saying:

Adesanya

Yan

Nunes

A lot of other good fights and fighters on this card.

Santos vs Rakic are the opening fight on main card. Santos is the only guy to KO Jan. And he's one of the few to give Jones problems.

Disappointed he got Ko'd by Teixiera. I hope that's not an indication that he's not the same fighter as before his knee surgeries.

On Prelims, keep an eye on Song Yadong. A great young prospect.

Then you got Cruz, Benavidez, etc.

Still can't wrap my head around the fact that Jan lost to Patrick Cummins though, and only about 4 years ago ;)

On 3/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I don't think Nunes beating Tate was surprising.  I also thought the fans were close to being split evenly picking Nunes vs. Cyborg.  If Nunes were to lose this fight, it would be insane.  On the surface, not cosidering Ronda's popularity at the time, crazier than Holm/Rousey.

I will say the girl Megan Anderson is strong and long.  Has some power.  I think Nunes is way too fast and vicious for her.

Not to mention Tate seemed mentally to have 1 foot out of MMA to begin with.  I really think had Holly Holm not made a huge mistake of allowing the fight against Tate to go to the ground (because Holm was soundly beating her up to that point) Holm would have cruised to the win and Tate would have retired then.  Winning the the belt was the last thing Tate wanted to accomplish and once she did, I don't think she had the fire in her belly to maintain that level.  Not saying she beats Nunes regardless, but her body language and just overall demeanor in that fight was waaaaay off.

I agree with Joe.

It was illegal.

It was a DQ...BUT, I don't think a fighter should earn a championship belt through a DQ.

Aljo is crying out loud.

At first I thought it was pain, but now it seems like he's crying because he's upset that he did not want to win it, this way.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 4:17 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

On 3/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Ha, even DC just said that he wants to see Blacho clinch him

And a few minutes later, Rogan says the exact same thing, lol

And BOOM, now Jan's actually doing it.

Word's getting around

Last two rounds clearly Jan. He also got round 2 imo. 3-2 Jan. Would be robbery otherwise. 

I don't watch tons of MMA, but I didn't see anything special from Adesanya. I expected tons of quickness and striking. I realize he moved up 20 pounds. 

Edited by abdcskins

Jan was the clear winner.  I didn’t expect Jan to do so well striking against Izzy.  He didn’t knock Izzy around the ring or anything, but he held his own.  He even lead in significant strikes after the 2nd round.  I think most expected him to get dominated if he fought that sort of striking battle against Izzy.  I certainly did.  Jans left jab was big for him tonight.

Once he remembered he was bigger and could wrestle, he closed it out fairly easily in the championship rounds.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I don't watch tons of MMA, but I didn't see anything special from Adesanya. I expected tons of quickness and striking. I realize he moved up 20 pounds. 

He wasn't himself, for sure, and for whatever reason. Out of his element.

Almost looked like he didn't want to be there. That or he was going through the culture shock of a different weight class, and not being able to adjust to the bigger fighter. He had practically nothing for Jan.

• Like 1