Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling


SUNSTONE
 Share

Recommended Posts

Fedor's run to me is still outmatched.  The HW division in that Pride prime era featured a lot of guys who extremely high level skillsets, it wasn't just two bigger guys boxing and clinching. Fedor dominated some fights, while out planning other opponents.  If it wasn't for the last decade where he has basically been a retired fighter still taking pay days, I don't think this would even be in question.  It's hard to really get this point across to people who mostly only know Fedor from highlights or statistics on a piece of paper.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Fedor wanted to try the easiest route to killing you at all times.  It wasn't a sport or a show...it was kill-you-and-survive.  A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Savant finally killed the killer.

 

Fedor pre-Werdum 4-lyfe

 

 

 

 

Amazing. That clip reminded me that when Fedor was king, there were not many rules. Yes, this meant he could do more to hurt you but it also meant his opponents could do more to hurt him... and they couldn't hurt him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If someone insisted Fedor was the overall GOAT HW, I wouldn't aggressively argue.

But Miocic does have some things to his credit worth mentioning.

While Miocic did indeed mostly beat guys past their prime, remember he also dominated Ngannou for 5 rounds, who's obviously young and formidable, and consistently KO's guys in the 1st round. Noone else could dominate Ngannou like he did.

Also, while DC was past his peak when Miocic fought him, DC was still a tremendous fighter, even at that stage of his career. To beat him twice in a row, including a KO, is noteworthy despite DC's age. Even Jones didn't beat DC twice (drug-free, that is)

And if he also beats a young, highly dangerous Ngannou twice, that by itself has gotta vault Miocic into the conversation of GOAT.

The only thing left really, for Miocic to match Fedor with, would be his longevity and streak.

Although, one could also take a different angle, and point out Fedor was more well-rounded, and better at grappling.

It just all depends on how you subjectively define the words, best or greatest.

 

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If someone insisted Fedor was the overall GOAT HW, I wouldn't aggressively argue.

But Miocic does have some things to his credit worth mentioning.

While Miocic did indeed mostly beat guys past their prime, remember he also dominated Ngannou for 5 rounds, who's obviously young and formidable, and consistently KO's guys in the 1st round. Noone else could dominate Ngannou like he did.

Also, while DC was past his peak when Miocic fought him, DC was still a tremendous fighter, even at that stage of his career. To beat him twice in a row, including a KO, is noteworthy despite DC's age. Even Jones didn't beat DC twice (drug-free, that is)

And if he also beats a young, highly dangerous Ngannou twice, that by itself has gotta vault Miocic into the conversation of GOAT.

The only thing left really, for Miocic to match Fedor with, would be his longevity and streak.

Although, one could also take a different angle, and point out Fedor was more well-rounded, and better at grappling.

It just all depends on how you subjectively define the words, best or greatest.

 

 

 

He's gotta beat Struve or I can't rank him.  😆

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Overeem has the weirdest peak and valley career I can think of.  Roids, horsemeat, beating Badr Hari, looking like he's unstoppable after Lesnar, whatever.  One day he's a monster, the next he's getting finished.  Signature of a Journeyman.  Perplexing career.

At some point his chin turned to glass.  He would be winning easily and a good but not great strike would immediately put his lights out.  It was jarring to watch, because he didn’t seem diminished otherwise.  I guess that happens to fighters as they age.  Chuck Liddell developed the same issue.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

At some point his chin turned to glass.  He would be winning easily and a good but not great strike would immediately put his lights out.  It was jarring to watch, because he didn’t seem diminished otherwise.  I guess that happens to fighters as they age.  Chuck Liddell developed the same issue.  

 

Interestingly, Chuck and Reem fought early on...and Reem was teeing off on Chuck like he was a heavy bag.  It was bad, almost got to Rampage/Chuck 1-level beatdown.  Chuck lands 1 overhand right and Reem is on ice, so to speak.  Finished him.  I think Overeem has always had an issue defensively.  His offense makes up most of his defense.   Yall remember his defense in K1? My man did one move.  Elbows in, gloves over face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This would be great for the sport, if he came back.

I always believed he would.

 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/09/ufc-news-anthony-johnson-enters-usada-testing-pool

Anthony Johnson closer to UFC comeback after entering USADA testing pool

 

According to the most recent U.S. Anti-Doping Agency list released Sept. 10, Johnson recently took his first test. It signals that the former UFC light heavyweight title challenger is back in the USADA testing pool and could be cleared after a six-month period, which means he’d be eligible to compete as soon as February 2021.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People forget Reem was really a K1 fighter that migrated over to MMA later on.  A lot of K1 fighters end up with mixed careers in MMA because it is just a completely different animals.  Once Reem's chin betrayed him it never feels safe picking him against Top 10 competition.  He still has the skills, but he is just so glass like now.

 

Also, if there is 1 fight Fedor would like to have back it is probably the Werdum one.  I think he simply miscalculated how hurt Werdum was and gave up his arm too soon.  It was a tactical mistake, but he didn't look necessarily like a shot fighter yet.  The Bigfoot fight was really the beginning of the end.  He didn't look like the same guy at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

People forget Reem was really a K1 fighter that migrated over to MMA later on.  A lot of K1 fighters end up with mixed careers in MMA because it is just a completely different animals.  Once Reem's chin betrayed him it never feels safe picking him against Top 10 competition.  He still has the skills, but he is just so glass like now.

 

Also, if there is 1 fight Fedor would like to have back it is probably the Werdum one.  I think he simply miscalculated how hurt Werdum was and gave up his arm too soon.  It was a tactical mistake, but he didn't look necessarily like a shot fighter yet.  The Bigfoot fight was really the beginning of the end.  He didn't look like the same guy at all. 

 

I think he would shut off mentally in fights, would freeze up, suddenly look amature.  Everyone talks about his chin, but he'd love to take insane shots while standing there like a glass statue.  Chuck cracking him was when he was young.  I think there's a difference in "chins" between people who are bloodthirsty and painless, and those who tend to lose that focus.  Aging definitely adds to that.  Overeem was always susceptible to the 1 hitter quitter.  TBH, I'm surprised he didn't lose more.

 

Fedor/Werdum?  Yeah, that one hurt...still a young man thinking certain fighters were invincible.  Fedor, Anderson, Machida before Shogun..Matt Serra kinda ****ed me up for a minute, but GSP avenged it.  Mystique was still a big part of MMA.  Undefeated ninja s***.  Custom trunks.  Characters, not self-promoters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2020 at 2:15 PM, NoCalMike said:

People forget Reem was really a K1 fighter that migrated over to MMA later on.  A lot of K1 fighters end up with mixed careers in MMA because it is just a completely different animals.  Once Reem's chin betrayed him it never feels safe picking him against Top 10 competition.  He still has the skills, but he is just so glass like now.

 

Also, if there is 1 fight Fedor would like to have back it is probably the Werdum one.  I think he simply miscalculated how hurt Werdum was and gave up his arm too soon.  It was a tactical mistake, but he didn't look necessarily like a shot fighter yet.  The Bigfoot fight was really the beginning of the end.  He didn't look like the same guy at all. 


Was he though? He started fighting MMA in the 90s as a teen. It’s not like he transitioned to it like Cro Cop did

 

I’m really hoping Reem can retire with the title. He and Shogun are the last Pride OGs left (sorry I don’t count Mousasi)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anyone see the exchange between Colby & Usman after Colby's fight?   Precisely why a lot of people can't stand Colby.  His MAGA gimmick is just part of it.  Dude is in straight denial about the first fight and being stopped.  

 

Dude can stop patting himself on the back for beating a guy who had lost 15 rounds in a row coming into that fight.  Props to UFC for selling the hype as if this fight was taking place in 2015 when Woodley was still a good fighter.  I can admit that Colby is a good fighter, probably had even been underrated by a lot of us for a couple years because he used his mouth to get places his fights weren't at the time, and he will earn a rematch with Usman likely with his next win (if he wins) but beating Woodley shouldn't be a ticket back to the title.

Edited by NoCalMike
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I thought Colby looked improved in this fight. Both his striking and kicking.

Improved enough, that a title re-match would interest me. Though he probably will fight one more before getting that.

 

 

I thought he looked pretty darn good against Usman. He was going strike-for-strike with Kamaru and landing a lot of good shots. It was his stand up defense that failed him over time. I just hate his smug face and his MAGA BS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, someone in the media put it out there, that Weidman would be a really bad matchup for Adesanya.

And it's gaining steam.

Now the 2 of them are going at it on twitter.

There's also the fact that Weidman has 3 finishes against fighters that Adesanya struggled against, to get a decision.

The logic makes sense to me, how Weidman's style could give him an advantage. Or at least a better chance than the other fighters at that weight.

He only has 1 consecutive win though. If he can add to that, and if his chin can hold up, that's a matchup I'm very interested in, and agree that it could be

good for Weidman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...