Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I used to watch every event from 2011 thru the ESPN deal. Hard to pull myself to watch a lot of these cards nowadays. Very watered now, weak co-mains and main events that should be co-mains. 

Maybe part of it is that a lot of the exciting fighters / legends I started watching have now retired (Hendo being a great example) or left for elsewhere (Mousasi).

Taking a look through the roster, are Shogun and Overeem the last PRIDE era fighter left? Although both are well past their prime, both are so fun to watch given the technical advantage, Shogun especially. I find myself in awe watching flabby Shogun pull out wins vs rising prospects

I've been watching some old MMA fights on YouTube with the UFC's free fights.  Is it me or is Connor McGregor mostly hype? Dude should keep his hands up.

On a related note, I watched a video of all of Mike Tyson's knockouts.  He was (and is) a brute.  The number of fights he had in his first two years is amazing, but not surprising considering that he KO'd most of his opponents in the first round without really getting hit, or even much of a workout.  Who scheduled those schloobs?  Good for padding his resume I guess.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not in stand-up.

In the UFC, he only gets beat on the ground.

If it stays standing, he's virtually unbeatable.

And that's why they call it MMA.  If you don't have ground game you're just a boxer.  And apparently only a mediocre one as he got beat by Mayweather.

2 hours ago, China said:

And that's why they call it MMA.  If you don't have ground game you're just a boxer.  And apparently only a mediocre one as he got beat by Mayweather.

He's an excellent boxer in MMA.

But MMA stand-up boxing is very different than Pro Boxing in multiple factors.

He was a rookie pro boxer going against a Mayweather who had 49 pro boxing fights and considered by many, to be the best or one of the best ever.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository