Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Accountant is a surprisingly decent dumb Ben Affleck movie. A sequel is being rumored too. 

I think that encapsulates it perfectly. He doesn't exactly pull it off/make it believable. Maybe he looks too action movie-starrish. Maybe someone who is more nebbish. Michael Cera. Looks halfway on the spectrum already. 

THIS is an accountant.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJF9_edbal3O6TWUktSqv

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I think Sopranos is still better than the "top tier" stuff coming out today and in the intervening past 20 years. 

I thought Breaking Bad was derivative of Sopranos and Weeds, for example. 

Everything is a derivative of something else, eventually. Doesn't make the original better. The Sopranos deserves to be praised for blazing a trail across all realms of television... But to me, it doesn't hold a candle, blow for blow, episode for episode, with Breaking Bad .

There were many useless ep's of Tony and co. doing nothing, shooting the ****, or getting vexed over miniscule things, and it not being presented well on screen. Everything had a purpose in BB. Everything.

Even with some of the issues with the perception of Jesse, it was highlighting the extent of Walter's manipulation of him, his own demons, and his fight to get away from both.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Everything is a derivative of something else, eventually. Doesn't make the original better. The Sopranos deserves to be praised for blazing a trail across all realms of television... But to me, it doesn't hold a candle, blow for blow, episode for episode, with Breaking Bad .

There were many useless ep's of Tony and co. doing nothing, shooting the ****, or getting vexed over miniscule things, and it not being presented well on screen. Everything had a purpose in BB. Everything.

Even with some of the issues with the perception of Jesse, it was highlighting the extent of Walter's manipulation of him, his own demons, and his fight to get away from both.

I'm with this, BB is about as good as TV gets.  Not a knock on the Sopranos but I found the character arcs in BB to be way more interesting.  It's been probably close to 10 year since I watched the Sopranos so maybe I should go back and check it out but Walter White's transformation from a dorky teacher to a meth kingpin is pretty unmatched anywhere, IMO.  And Jesse Pinkman's transformation from a wannabe player ****up to a good guy who's all of a sudden got a good conscience is right there, too.  These paths intersect for a moment in time where they make an unbeatable team, but that's fleeting.  

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Accountant is a surprisingly decent dumb Ben Affleck movie. A sequel is being rumored too. 

I liked it.  Yes, it's dumb but when you approach it with adjusted expectations it's really solid.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think this paragraph is pretty much perfect.  The Sopranos was the archetype of an entirely new phase of television (along with Band of Brothers, which came out during roughly the same time period).  I guess I would say that The Sopranos is a more important show in the scheme of things, but Breaking Bad, if you strip away the context, is a better show, in terms of storytelling and execution.  

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

That’s crazy talk. All those scenes that seem like nothing all build TO something. Stuff said in passing gives motive for a character’s actions later on. 

No it's not.  It was great for it's time, 20 years later, it doesn't hold a candle to a ton of shows, nor does it have a must watch again replay value like a lot of shows do.  Breaking Bad (can't believe I left that off my list earlier) was one of the best shows ever, light years beyond what the Soprano's offered.  I've watched it through four times.  

Soprano's was must watch TV back when shows weren't as edgy like they can be now.  Watching it now, a second time, gets boring way too fast.  Another show I forgot that has great replay value and was outstanding was Rescue Me.  

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

That’s crazy talk. All those scenes that seem like nothing all build TO something. Stuff said in passing gives motive for a character’s actions later on. 

I don't remember many of them building  to a whole lot. They felt like filler episodes almost, and while funny at times, they  didn't seem to have any importance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, despite my general distaste for Hollywood/cultural mob worship,  I loved The Sopranos, but it set the bar. Breaking Bad, and other shows raised it.

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Jessie Pinkman is a punk as **** who should have died in season 1. 

Only character I liked in that show was Hank. 

Just mad because the shows  title gives you ptsd,  hater.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I don't remember many of them building  to a whole lot. They felt like filler episodes almost, and while funny at times, they  didn't seem to have any importance whatsoever in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, despite my general distaste for Hollywood/cultural mob worship,  I loved The Sopranos, but it set the bar. Breaking Bad, and other shows raised it.

Just mad because the shows  title gives you ptsd,  hater.

I ain’t mad. I like the show but pinkman was a punk as **** who was stupid af. Walt getting cuckhold, no respect for that man. Skyler was a hoe. Hank was dope. 

10 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

It saddens me that we could never have RTT tv night. Some of y’all would be “let’s watch Big Bang Theory” and y’all would snort and limp wrist high five every time Sheldon made a Monty Python reference.

You had me (like I said, I loved the Sopranos, I just don't think it's better than Breaking Bad) up until Big Bang Theory.

Nothing at all about that show has ever seemed funny or remotely watchable to me.

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Blacklist comes relatively close.

Closer than most, at least.

Is Blacklist really that good?  Full disclaimer:  I friggin' LOVE James Spader, he's one of my favorite actors.  He and Shatner in Boston Legal were so good, and I loved his appearances in The Office.  I also loved Spader in his early, softcore p0rn days when he did "Crash" and "Sex, Lies, & Videotape" and those other, kinky, 90s Cinemax-style p0rns.  :evil:

When the show first premiered years ago, I told myself "Spader?  it's worth watching."  But I never did.  Is it worth binging and catching up?  I assume (and hope) the answer will be an emphatic yes LOL.  

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I would love to see Blacklist on AMC or HBO.  Network tv just can't really compete.

I should have mentioned that in my response two posts above.

I would've been MUCH more interested had Blacklist been on AMC, TNT, HBO, SHOW, etc.  Much more freedom for Spader to really shine. 

Archived