Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

23 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Get Netflix, and catch up on all of Spade's Blacklist.

I think you'll be glad you did.

Chew, since you havn't seen any of it, I think all it will take is just 1 to 3 episodes, and you'll know right away if you're into it.

And most likely hooked.

Yep, Spader is awesome in the show.  Genuine laugh out loud moments, moments of being a badass.  That's it, I'm gonna dive in again this weekend.  

56 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Brees is 40, Big Fat Ben is 36, A-Rod is 35—these would've been considered over the hill a decade ago? I won't discount PEDs or even recovery-enhancing drugs. But they probably do take care of themselves better. Plus, the league takes care of them better. 

Curious to see if there's any rapid diminishing of arm strength as players age. And can they compensate for that loss in arm strength in other ways.

38-40 was the event horizon for QB's. The only one I know of to keep going for any considerable length of time was Vinny Testaverde, and he was awful. Favre played around that age, and was subsequently knocked unconscious. Gannon too, maybe, but you remembering him getting the Joe Black hit too, and leaving.

If there is any surefire reason why that is changing, the only thing I can for certain say is that now, you can no longer breathe on them. 

But it's nothing to take to the bank, not even in terms of training. They may be exceptions to the rule.

32 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hmmm...

No.  ****ing.  Way.

I'm all in.  Opening night.  Wherever, whenever.  Midnight showing.

And I'm generally opposed to sequels that are released WAY after the original because I can't think of a time that's actually worked.  But if the Coens are doing it and John Goodman is back as Walter....I'm gonna try not to get excited.  I'm going to try beat that excitement down to a bloody, filthy pulp in the bottom of my soul.  

EDIT:  Oh wait.  It's a superbowl commercial.  And it's on a Sunday which sucks because Walter SURE AS **** DOESN'T ROLL ON SHABBOS!!

Shomer ****ing Shabbos.

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Maybe we are just blessed with an abundance of HOF QB talent this generation? Brady and Brers definitely. Big Ben and Rivers most likely.

Agreed, I think that's more likely than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Riggo-toni said:

Sonny led the NFC in passing at 40. Warren Moon played into his 40s.

And?

@Riggo-toni you sure Jurgensen was 40 when he won that passing title? Didnt know that but checked, and I dont see anything about a passing tittle in '74 or '73. I see his last Pro Bowl/All Pro season  listed as 1969 (which would make him 35-ish, not 40, assuming a passing title earned you both accolades)

And I saw this SB  nation article, which talks about his last couple seasons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.catscratchreader.com/platform/amp/2013/2/5/3945948/in-respect-to-the-legends-sonny-jurgensen

Two years later the Redskins would hire another hire profile head coach, George Allen (think John Fox before John Fox). Allen, the conservatively natured defensive head coach, did not mesh well with the gunslinging Jurgensen.

After incurring a shoulder injury during a preseason exhibition, Jurgensen would lose the starting job to Billy Kilmer.

Jurgensen would see sporadic action over the next few seasons before concluding his career after the 1974 season, in which Jurgensen saw four starts as a forty-year old QB.

Edit, wait, you said NFC. Doesn't explain the bolded part though. Strange.

From Wikipedia:

In 1974, at the age of 40 and in his final season, Jurgensen won his third NFL passing crown even though he was still splitting time with Kilmer.[3] In what would be the final game of his NFL career, Jurgensen made his first and only appearance in an NFL postseason game[dubious  discuss] in the Redskins' 19–10 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the first round of the 1974 NFC playoffs.[2] He came off the bench in relief of Kilmer and completed six of 12 passes but also threw three interceptions.[2]

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

From Wikipedia:

In 1974, at the age of 40 and in his final season, Jurgensen won his third NFL passing crown even though he was still splitting time with Kilmer.[3] In what would be the final game of his NFL career, Jurgensen made his first and only appearance in an NFL postseason game[dubious  discuss] in the Redskins' 19–10 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the first round of the 1974 NFC playoffs.[2] He came off the bench in relief of Kilmer and completed six of 12 passes but also threw three interceptions.[2]

Gotcha. Thats weird. Impressive for Sonny, though 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Is anyone here metric-literate ?

Not me, and I had a wake-up call, after finding out that almost all Netflix documentaries are metric in all their calculations.

I'm metric-literate, though I wouldn't say I'm metric-fluent.  I'll do all my physics in metric, but if you ask how many centimeters tall I am or what temperature in centigrade it feels like outside, I will not give a good answer.

Archived