Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

We just had new counter tops installed in the kitchen Tuesday, and the guys are finishing up the tile back splash today (been working on it the past two days). Once we get the walls repainted, it's going to look really good.  

Then next year we are focusing on the outside, back yard specifically.  Going to rip out a bunch of shrubs/bushes, extend the patio and put up a retaining wall.  The only thing to take care of will be the plants/shrubs between the retaining wall and fence.  Will have some stone pavers with gravel in between filling out the rest of the yard up to the retaining wall.  No more grass to cut in the backyard. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Induction stove top??

Those things are cool and I kinda understand how they work

Nah, just new quartz counter tops and the tile back splash.  We are redoing the inside of the house this year, already did vinyl flooring in the entire house, re-did the upstairs bonus room into mancave 2.0 and some other things.  Then working on the outside next year.  

We have been in our house for over 16 years now and will be for at least 10-15+ more.  We eventually might think about renting it out once it's paid for and Tazette is in college or out of college (depends where she goes - right now its our alma mater UNC Charlotte).  But it was in desperate need of new flooring (was carpet and starting to get worn out) and the backyard needs to be re-landscaped.

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Thom Loverro on the radio explaining how ridiculous it is to suggest that participation trophies and entitlement began with Millennials. Glad someone old enough to comment can actually speak the truth.

Shot, I remember my sister playing soccer in elementary school for some non-school league and the other team getting those, and that's early-mid 90s.  It goes back further then that?

15 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Shot, I remember my sister playing soccer in elementary school for some non-school league and the other team getting those, and that's early-mid 90s.  It goes back further then that?

I was born in 1975.  In elementary school I seem to recall that everyone got a white ribbon for Field Day, but they still had first, second and third place ribbons for the events.  The one everyone got just said the school name on it and Field Day along with the year.  It wasn't called a participation ribbon and the jerk kids still made fun of the other kids that didn't win any other ribbons (and no, I wasn't a jerk kid nor a victim of their ridicule).

For sports leagues through our recreation department, like basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. first through third place got trophies.  That was it.  No participation trophies either.  I grew up in a small town in NC and can confirm that was how it was there during the 80s and to my knowledge early 90s.  And it might have started in other states earlier than that.  

I get why they do it though and think it's fine, especially for children in elementary school.  Kids are mean as **** to each other.  But at the same time I think kids need to be taught about healthy competition and steered towards that so they understand that there isn't always a trophy/ribbon for everything they do or in life in general.  Not sure where that starts, maybe in 5th grade to help prepare the kids for middle school where they start trying out for the schools sports teams.

Tazette gets participation trophies and stuff at school and has in some of her activities outside of school.  But me and my wife have and still educate her and explain that there will come a time where she will have to accept that there are certain sports/activities that she is not going to be as good as other kids at and not get any trophies, etc.  That there will clearly be a first - third place and if she doesn't win one, then it's ok as long as she does her best.  

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

He was saying it goes back 30 or 40 years, which is accurate considering the Self Esteem Movement began in 1970.

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That there will clearly be a first - third place and if she doesn't win won, then it's ok as long as she does her best.  

I agree with this line of thought.  I've always tried to keep kids around me encouraged, though I haven't exactly mastered the art of explaining that sometimes your best isn't good enough and you need to be prepared for that reality.  You can either give up or re-tool and come at it again.  I'd want my kids to understand that at some point they are going to fail at something, and that's normal because nobody succeeds at everything.  That's just not the way life works.

13 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

He was saying it goes back 30 or 40 years, which is accurate considering the Self Esteem Movement began in 1970.

I guess anything is possible (speaking about it starting back in the 70s somewhere), but I would bet that it wasn't mainstream until the mid-late 90s, after the internet started becoming available to people in their homes or colleges.   The spread of information was limited and slower back then.  

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Thom Loverro on the radio explaining how ridiculous it is to suggest that participation trophies and entitlement began with Millennials. Glad someone old enough to comment can actually speak the truth.

Anyone who truly believes that is a helpless moron. I think higher of dirty gum on the street than I do Loverro, but I agree with him 100%. Last years election is a shining example of what real, detrimental entitlement looks like, lashing out at a changing world, wanting to turn back the clock to your benefit, instead of adapting with the times.

And that wasn't millenials

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I agree with this line of thought.  I've always tried to keep kids around me encouraged, though I haven't exactly mastered the art of explaining that sometimes you best isn't good enough and you need to be prepared for that reality.  You can either give up or re-tool and come at it again.  I'd want my kids to understand that at some point they are going to fail at something, and that's normal because nobody succeeds at everything.  That's just not the way life works.

From a parent's perspective, it's tough.  We support her in anything she wants to do (gymnastics, Tae Kwon Do, swimming, etc.) and always encourage her to do her best and give it 110%.  I've seen her do gymnastics and she got started later than most, but I can already tell that it is probably something that she is not going to excel at a high level at.  And that's absolutely ok and as long as she is having fun, that's all that matters to me.

Of course we would never tell her that, but I'm sure the day will come when she realizes it.  And there is a possibility that she could prove me wrong, I hope she does.  But there a lot of good things that it is doing for her.  It's helped her flexibility, upper body strength (she can climb the rope to the rafters and ring the bell - at least 20 feet high), balance, etc.  All which help her at her favorite activity which is Tae Kwon Do.  

We have been lucky that she understands that she is going to succeed at some things and fail at others or not be as good at something as she wants to be.  The biggest challenge for us is that she is a sore loser.  She is so competitive and hates losing.  She is gotten a lot better on handling it, but still needs a lot of work on that. So while she gets it, she still lets her emotions get the best of her sometimes.  But hey, she's a 9 yo kid, it's what they do sometimes :)

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Anyone who truly believes that is a helpless moron. I think higher of dirty gum on the street than I do Loverro, but I agree with him 100%.

I'm actually kind of curious to know when it started and how far back.  While I think it most likely started during the Gen X era and became mainstream towards the end of Millennials era or beginning of the Gen Z era, I guess it could depend what years one defines each generation.  

Some say Gen X is being born during 1965-1976 with Millennials being born during 1977-1995.  While some consider it to be 1965-1979 and 1980-1995 respectively.  Either way, I'm sure it started with my generation but took off during the Millennial/Gen Z eras.

Like I said, they gave everyone a ribbon for Field Day to start out with, so imo, even though it wasn't called a participation ribbon, it was a start so every kid had at least one ribbon.  I'm guessing that evolved into the format they use today.

Had snow crabs for dinner. Once or twice a month, I treat myself to something expensive for a meal. In this case, my meal hit all criteria: already cooked, just heat in the oven; melt butter; easy cleanup, and most importantly delicious!

I think my daughter and peers consider themselves Gen X, 1978.

16 minutes ago, twa said:

Doc says I need to lose weight

Drinking Tequila Can Help You Lose Weight, According To Scientists

http://www.latintimes.com/drinking-tequila-can-help-you-lose-weight-according-scientists-314939

I'm good with that

I saw nothing in the article that supported the title.  Methinks an editor was looking for clicks when he gave the article that title.

Just now, twa said:

I still see nothing about tequila in the study other than the fact that there's a sugar in the Agave plant that you won't digest.  All that really tells us is that it might be a good alternative to traditional sugar.  Don't see anything about it actively causing weight loss, or about it even necessarily being in Tequila.

https://www.startalkradio.net/show/science-literacy-misinformation-age-lmasa/

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I still see nothing about tequila in the study other than the fact that there's a sugar in the Agave plant that you won't digest.  All that really tells us is that it might be a good alternative to traditional sugar.  Don't see anything about it actively causing weight loss, or about it even necessarily being in Tequila.

https://www.startalkradio.net/show/science-literacy-misinformation-age-lmasa/

it reduces appetite, which means less eating, which means probably less calories consumed, which means weight loss.

tequila is made from agave

I need another drink.

Archived